GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to ride to work today and the starter wouldn't engage, just clicking of the relay/solenoid. I tried it several times, turned it off and back on, hit the lock/unlock and still nothing. I'm taking it in tomorrow for warranty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When you turn on the keyswitch, do you hear the fuel pump briefly running and then shutting down like normal? If not, did you check the position of your "kill switch"?

Hope this helps, Kirk.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Check your battery connections. Sounds like your battery is dead. Did you leave something turned on? Otherwise the battery may be history. The battery on my 02 failed when it was only 3 months old.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
A very common fault for the symptom is loose connections at the battery. Check that first. It seems that they just put them on finger tight or just with a screwdriver. They never get them snugged down properly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the kill switch, didn't leave anything on. I'm just gonna take it in as there are some other warranty issues to address. The rear seat heater knob is broken (the spring detent), one of the display buttons is getting finicky and the turn signal switch seems to be going south as well. I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had EXACTLY the same thing, battery connections were loose at the battery (from the factory)
Cleaned and tighted up , no more problem.....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
blento said:
I had EXACTLY the same thing, battery connections were loose at the battery (from the factory)
Cleaned and tighted up , no more problem.....
I don't know for sure, but I would bet it was loose from the Dealer Prep, not the factory. :wink:

·
Registered
755 Posts
My negative terminal was barely finger tight from dealer prep. Found it when installing the battery tender harness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts