GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a battery charger pigtail on my '07 Wing battery and noticed I was having trouble getting the Positive screw back into the threads. After flashing a light on the situatio, I swear THERE ARE NO THREADS. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

G

·
Chris, check and see if a small block fell out of the battery terminal. My battery has a little block behind the hole that has the threads. It will slide around in there. I hope I explained that good enough to figure out.

Tom

·
Registered
755 Posts
Bigbird,

Make sure the rectangular nut is still inside the post. They WILL fall out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yep,,what Tom said. I always keep the old ones when I change batteries,,so if you can't come up with one,,let me know.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
No threads on the terminal.

A square nut (as opposed to a hex nut) is on the back side.

If you didn't have trouble with the other side, you just got lucky and it didn't fall out. (Of course the negative side doesn't have to be used as long as you complete the circuit by going to any ground.)

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spitzer said:
Chris, check and see if a small block fell out of the battery terminal. My battery has a little block behind the hole that has the threads. It will slide around in there. I hope I explained that good enough to figure out.

Tom
You were right. Found it. Interesting design.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Chris,

If the threads were in the soft lead terminal, the screw would strip out in no time. :cry:

The steel square nut will not strip out as easily. :D

later..Randy

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It can be a real pain sometimes to get that square nut lined up with the bolt.

It should be molded in, so that it doesn't move.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Whenever I install any new battery on my bikes, I cut pieces of toothpicks and wedge them behind the threaded square metal block on the terminal. The comoline grease that I use to keep the terminals from oxidation, holds the pieces of toothpick in place. You can substitute vaseline for the comoline grease. Each time, after the initial install, that I remove the battery, the threaded metal block stays always in place for reconnecting the terminals. Yeah, toothpicks. Go figure!

Ride safely.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts