GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bike out for our first ride of the season (yep, first one, we still have a snowdrift alongside the road just above our house), and no turn signals. They worked perfectly when I winterized in November. Fuses are all good, I swapped out relays and got no results. All other lights work, gauges work, as do the instruments, horn and cruise. I've checked every wire and connection I can get to, including under the top shelter and found no problem. Haven't tackled removing the combination display yet to get to the turn signal relay, but it looks like that is next. Any ideas?

Dennis

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just guessing, how about the 4 way flasher? Is it in the out position?
Also, you were checking it with the switch in the on position, not acc? (been there dun that:oops:) Next I would lube and work the cancel part of the turn switch to make sure it wasn't stuck in the cancel position.
I probably don't have a real answer, just guessing at what to try.
Bob

·
Registered
350 Posts
Probably the turn signal cancel unit in the steering head.... Had to replace mine last year........ My signals would not work also and that was the problem.....

·
Registered
534 Posts
My bet is on the bank angle sensor in the steering head. If it doesn't work then signals will not work, next would be the turn signal relay, 4-way switch and relay and then the bulbs (hey, they could be bad :oops: ).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys, thanks for the ideas.

Bobnpaso, the 4-ways work right---no sticky button. I don't think I've checked the signals with the key in the "acc" position, but the signals definitely don't work at all in the "on" position.
I took the turn signal switch mechanism apart far enough to get a good dose of electronic contact cleaner sprayed in it, and mechanically it feels and sounds like it is working right.

Bob Hyre, you may have hit on a Voila moment with your idea of the turn signal cancel unit. When I winterized I re-torqued the All Balls steering stem bearings, and it would be just like me to have not gotten the cancel wire plugged back in firmly. That will be the next thing I check.

Mad Jack, I also had not thought of the bank angle sensor. I'll have to get the manual out to figure out how to access it and check it. I checked the relay by exchanging it with a known good relay---no difference. The horn is also on the same relay with the signals and the horn works. And, all the bulbs work with the four-ways so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for all of your ideas. It is neat to be on the board, throw out a question, and knowledgeable members scratch their heads for you and give you valuable input.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I had same problem, all lights worked except turn signals. Turns out is was a connector behind meter panel that was not fully locked from factory.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got em working!

Kudos to Bob Hyre. I checked the turn signal cancel plug at the top of the steering stem to make sure it was plugged in, but when I unplugged it to see if it was tight, there sat the problem. One of the little straight-pin sized pins was bent down. Of course trying to straighten it, even very carefully, broke it off. But, a short jumper wire (with a male/female plug in it) around the plug has cured the problems. I couldn't have gone to old man Honda himself and gotten any quicker and more helpful responses than right here on this board. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts