GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove my windshield for the summer months and have a few questions.

1) Is this physically possible? ( I do not know as I have not had the upper garnish off yet to check the mounting and if I'd need to put in washers or spacers to prevent rattling.... )

1) Has any on here ever done this (ridden without it on their Goldwing)? If so how is the wind pattern without the windshield.... I like a lot of wind and am use to riding without a windshield on all my previous bikes (but those bikes were designed without windshields...)

2) If so can you post pictures of what it looks like?

Thanks for your help and input

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
I would like to remove my windshield for the summer months and have a few questions.

1) Is this physically possible? ( I do not know as I have not had the upper garnish off yet to check the mounting and if I'd need to put in washers or spacers to prevent rattling.... )

1) Has any on here ever done this (ridden without it on their Goldwing)? If so how is the wind pattern without the windshield.... I like a lot of wind and am use to riding without a windshield on all my previous bikes (but those bikes were designed without windshields...)

2) If so can you post pictures of what it looks like?

Thanks for your help and input

Take a razor and gentely "score" a line where your windshield meets the rubber gasket, no one will know about your special mod, now with your shield scored, when it gets really hot and uncomfortable simply "SNAP" the windshield off and you will have all the air you need!!!

Haven't yet worked out how to put it back......

Matt(BCNV)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
It is possible there is 4 or 2 mounting bolts depending on the year model of bike and 2 srews in the middle rachet under the garnish holding the sheild

Because of the riding position of the wing the wind noise and pressure would be to uncomtable for me personally anyway

The guys who have the really short windshield may have better input by the way the short sheilds sure do look good :yes1:

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It seems to me that you will experience much greater wind velocity than you would on a non-fared bike. Some of the air that goes past you on a bike without a faring is now going to be diverted right up into your face.

Anyhow, it's easy enough to remove the windshield. I wouldn't worry too much about anything rattling, because I don't think you're going to have the shield off long enough for that to be a concern.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyones input... I'm gonna remove it and give it a try... if it don't work out I'll plop on a 8", opaque, summer shield from cee baileys and run that...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have a suspicion that Phydeaux is barking up the right tree.

Some board members have fairly short wind screens that may be a better choice than none at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Windshield

I really like my Tulsa -2. Provides exactly the amount of protection/air flow I desire PLUS looks great! However I would not go any shorter. For whatever that's worth. :doorag:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for everyones input... I'm gonna remove it and give it a try... if it don't work out I'll plop on a 8", opaque, summer shield from cee baileys and run that...
I think the short cee baileys is a sharp looking shield.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Check out Cee Baileys.They have short windscreens that will give you what you are looking for/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts