GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my steering stem yesterday for an All Balls installation, and the steering stem nut (the one that requires the special tool) was loose by more than a few turns. I recently posted about discovering the 30mm stem nut on top of that being loose also. That was before I went deeper into the steering stem.
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75201

At about 20K, I noticed a wobble starting to develop that progressively got worse. I had never had a wobble prior to that. My steering deteriorated as the wobble worsened, and there came to be a lot of "slop" in the steering.

My steering stem was so loose that the only thing holding it together was that thin locking washer with the bending tabs.

I would advise that anyone who "develops" a wobble when you had none before, to check your steering stem nuts. Probably a good idea to check your nuts after a bunch of miles anyway. I can't wait to feel the difference in the ride when I slap it all back together!
8)

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Wow! Glad you found that.

A loose steering stem nut is the major cause of most wobbles. I check mine twice a year to be safe

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Hey Floyd, got any parts left over??? :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm having Deja Vu as I look at your bike. I did the all balls install yesterday and am starting on the fork rebuild with Traxxion springs next weekend. I'm trying to fix my wobble problems too. All the nuts seem to have torque on them. The problem I found was almost no grease. The top bearing had remnants of some dried up grease but the bottom bearings looked like they had never been greased. I greased the heck out of the all balls and am hoping the lack of grease in the old ones was one of my main problems.

Thank goodness for Fred's videos. Without his videos, I would have never attempted anything past an oil change. I figure he will save me thousands in labor cost.

When I mentioned the wobble problem to the local Honda dealer, he had never heard of it.

I also mentioned changing the fork oil and he said you should never have to change it in the Goldwing. When I drained the forks, the oil looked and smelled like death.

03 GL1800 with 24,000 miles

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PunkinWing said:
Hey Floyd, got any parts left over??? :lol:
Not yet! :shock: But I haven't slapped her back together yet. :lol:

nacwing said:
Thank goodness for Fred's videos. Without his videos, I would have never attempted anything past an oil change. I figure he will save me thousands in labor cost.
I agree 100%!!! Me too... Fred's got me doing things I would never do. After all the mods and "personal" installs I've done, I wouldn't want a dealer mechanic... no matter how experienced he is, trying to slap all my junk back together. There's a great satisfaction and peace of mind knowing how my bike is "put back together" when I do things myself.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You might want to cover that nice new trailer with an old blanket. What if something rolls off of the table and hits it? Please don't ask me why I thought of this! :oops:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Looks about the condition of mine right now , what tool do
I need special to do the all balls (2006 with 10k) I'm thinking of that project also.
Thanks --snowman

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks about the condition of mine right now , what tool do
I need special to do the all balls (2006 with 10k) I'm thinking of that project also.
Thanks --snowman
Direct Line sells it for $63.67. I wouldn't attempt the job without the tool and Fred's video. It took me about 3 hours to do the whole job and I have very limited mechanic skills.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When I read the topic, :wink: I just had to wonder what my NUTS had to do with the wobble... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
upssnowman,

Check with cycledude for the stem nut socket. He was making them for awhile but am not sure he has any left...

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
WOW! Several turns loos on that nut is a whole big lot! Good thing you are replacing the bearings as the OE ones have likely been pounding in the races quite a bit.

prs

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The OEM bearings and races were in perfect condition. Contrary to what alot of others have been finding, they were well greased and there was no scoring at all... probably because they were so loose that they weren't even being used!! :twisted: :evil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts