GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just had to review our Code of Conduct, Employee Manual etc. and I actually read the darn thing for once. We can't use a motorcycle for business travel! I was shocked. I ride mine to other offices when possible, save gas and have some fun. I can't imagine they can limit you from riding a street-legal vehicle! Anyone every heard of this before?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Work related

That could be your Workers Comp or Group Health Insurance causing that. They usually think that's a more hazardous activity.

·
Registered
326 Posts
oh brother...big brother watchin out for you. if hurt, someone may sue them cause it's work time and business travel. absurd. all started when someone sued cause they spilled hot coffee in there lap and it was hot and they won. beam me up scotty

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Verizon has had that policy for a long time (at least 20 years!). Their policy is absolutely no reimbursement for mileage and no insurance in case of an accident. It can't be a loud pipe issue because they've had it since the little Hondas came around. :lol:

·
Registered
858 Posts
I work for a major U.S. electric utility, and all my company requires is that your privately owned vehicle has minimum $500,000 liability, which costs me a whopping $11 per year extra on my policy. We get the same mileage pay whether car or motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Not like that here ...

Where I work company rules actually suggest ... nearly DEMAND that we ride whenever the weather allows. The Jeep is only used in snowstorms and really cold inclement weather. Dixie & I travel both for personal and business reasons on the bike far more often than in the Jeep.:yes:

Tom Batt
COUNTRY GENTLEMAN ... :thumbup:

B

·
0 Posts
I had been told before I moved up in the company that if I rode and got hurt, no workers comp and no insurance. I told them to try and make it stick. If I get hurt while on the clock, then you can't tell me what to ride.

Since I do the insurance paperwork and negotiating of the contracts I have not seen anything in our policies that says otherwise.

unfortunately, I am always carting large samples around so i can't ride even when i want to.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yes, many years ago I turned down an executive job position because the company had a no-motorcycle policy. The company policy was that senior officers could not ride motorcycles under any conditions. LOL, they also suggested that my car (a Dodge Charger) was too aggressive and that I should drive something more acceptable (e.g., a Buick or Cadillac). I was very polite in the way I told them to pound sand.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
We just had to review our Code of Conduct, Employee Manual etc. and I actually read the darn thing for once. We can't use a motorcycle for business travel! I was shocked. I ride mine to other offices when possible, save gas and have some fun. I can't imagine they can limit you from riding a street-legal vehicle! Anyone every heard of this before?
I'm sure it's an image thing. Just tell them that it's only H-D owners that dress like extras from a Mad Max movie.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I had been told before I moved up in the company that if I rode and got hurt, no workers comp and no insurance. I told them to try and make it stick. If I get hurt while on the clock, then you can't tell me what to ride.

Since I do the insurance paperwork and negotiating of the contracts I have not seen anything in our policies that says otherwise.

unfortunately, I am always carting large samples around so i can't ride even when i want to.
Why do you say they can't tell you what to ride/drive? For most sales people, it has been very common over the years for companies to require American made four door sedans, and usually something like four years old or less.

It's their company, and they can make whatever rules they want. On the other hand, we as employees have options. We can go elsewhere. I've seen many companies do a lot of really stupid things. But the key is that it's the golden rule - he who has the gold rules.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Yes, many years ago I turned down an executive job position because the company had a no-motorcycle policy. The company policy was that senior officers could not ride motorcycles under any conditions. LOL, they also suggested that my car (a Dodge Charger) was too aggressive and that I should drive something more acceptable (e.g., a Buick or Cadillac). I was very polite in they way I told them to pound sand.
For the right job, I might give up motorcycling, but I'd be getting a Lotus Elan or Caterham 7 to make up for it. Try to limit all the vehicles I might drive, and it would have to be one HECK of a job, where I could retire in a few years...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Why do you say they can't tell you what to ride/drive? For most sales people, it has been very common over the years for companies to require American made four door sedans, and usually something like four years old or less.

It's their company, and they can make whatever rules they want. On the other hand, we as employees have options. We can go elsewhere. I've seen many companies do a lot of really stupid things. But the key is that it's the golden rule - he who has the gold rules.
If they aren't paying a dime towards what I drive, they aren't going ot tell me what I can or can't drive/ride. If they want to tell me I have to drive a certain vehicle my answer will be "fine, go buy me one, pay the gas and insurance, and I will drive it" If it's on my dime it is my choice.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
If they aren't paying a dime towards what I drive, they aren't going ot tell me what I can or can't drive/ride. If they want to tell me I have to drive a certain vehicle my answer will be "fine, go buy me one, pay the gas and insurance, and I will drive it" If it's on my dime it is my choice.
That's fine. Just don't come whining here when you get in a work related accident and get to foot the bill yourself.

I don't get you guys, whatever....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That's fine. Just don't come whining here when you get in a work related accident and get to foot the bill yourself.

I don't get you guys, whatever....
I agree 100%, if there's a rule about what you have to drive in the performance of your job and you choose to not follow it be prepared for the consequences. Employers have the right to put in place almost any rule they choose and typically your only recourse is to resign if you don't agree. The exceptions would be where you are employed with an employment contract with explicit language regarding company rules or if the rule was determined to be unconstitutional or discriminatory (which these transportation rules are not)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree 100%, if there's a rule about what you have to drive in the performance of your job and you choose to not follow it be prepared for the consequences. Employers have the right to put in place almost any rule they choose and typically your only recourse is to resign if you don't agree. The exceptions would be where you are employed with an employment contract with explicit language regarding company rules or if the rule was determined to be unconstitutional or discriminatory (which these transportation rules are not)
I am a VP and company officer and have been with the same firm for 32 years. Employers can and do set the rules. Company policies are all in place for the same reason "money"! My 2nd auto is a Z06 Corvette and I am careful where I drive it, as I don't want to give a client the wrong impression. I am buying my Goldwing in May and I know our company President would prefer that I wouldn't, but he does respect my privacy. I wouldn't use it for company business anyway.

We have a few company policies that I don't agree with, but know why they are in place.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I feel for you Scooter....... especially since it's a "stop doing something that used to be OK" ...
instead of not letting you start doing something new.
Things sure have changed on the last couple of decades....
I used to ride the bike to sites a couple of states away....
and the Company folks just thought that was cool.
I used to take my own plane to sites and the only thing they said was....
"don't fly any customers".

No work related motorcycle riding?

When I saw this subject line......
I immediately thought......
Most of my riding is "no work" related......
The more time I spend riding........ the less work I have to do!:wrong:

·
Registered
570 Posts
As an auditor for a major RV manufacturer I was told that I could not ride my bike on business. So as I went to travel to a dealership for the audit I was on vacation until I arrived. Did the audit and moved to the next dealer on vacation again until I arrived back home. We put on about 10,000 miles traveling around the country last year. I saved the company money and the miles I rode on company time paid for my fuel to get their. I have the Holiday Inn points so the days on vacation was free and when at the audit the Holiday Inn points were add back onto the system to use at a later date. I just happened to end my vacation about 200 miles from the dealer and they paid miles to the dealer and back to that starting point to go on vacation again. It helped that I set up the dealers to audit to match with my vacation needs. Good gig while it lasted. Now the company is downsizing and I maybe looking at another company so this summers vacations might not happen. It was a win-win relation for both me and the company as I saved flight and rental car costs. Normally saved them about $500 - 700 each visit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No work related motorcycle riding

It is an Insurance issue. Uncle Sam is not going to take us over the insurance companies are already doing it with seat belt laws, mandatory insurance and helmet laws to protect them from us, the customers. It costs my company 1/2 a tank of gas and 200 miles on the Dodge caravan I drive to visit it one of our offices. I could do that on one 6 gallon tank of gas on my wing which I would not charge the company for. By the way it is a beautiful ride secondary roads almost all the way.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I work for at&t and their policy is no mototcycle riding on company time or travel.

·
Registered
355 Posts
No riding policy

My boss not only condones riding my boss bought me the 08 gw. He sends me on hunting excursions, trips paid 100%. He LOVES me. Sounds like ya'll boys need to change jobs. We have two MC, a 98 1500 Vulcan loud piped cruiser and the Gw. I am lucky I can ride either whenever. He LOVES me... When I fillup, I always stick it to the man. Need a new helmet, farkle... Stick it to the man...

Oh yeah.... I am the owner, ceo, head Dumi and the "man"...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts