GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have heard these headphones they are excellent. Why doesn't J&M or Edsets make a noise cancelling headset that sounds like the Bose for helmet use?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Because when riding you need to know what's going on around you - Hear it or see it. :D

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
laen said:
If you have heard these headphones they are excellent. Why doesn't J&M or Edsets make a noise cancelling headset that sounds like the Bose for helmet use?
How much did they cost? Bose makes great stuff but they're usually way overpriced compared to other's stuff. I've got a wave radio and it rocks. Bought it because it was the only radio that can give that kind of fidelity. But $500 for a radio with a single CD player? :roll:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Where did you get them, and are they plug and play noise cancelling with the stock goldwing intercom system? Also, how thick are the speakers?

laen said:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The only noise they cut out is constant noise. Like engine noise or wind noise. Any sudden noise like a horn honking will still be heard loud and clear. I for the life of me can not figure out why some company hasn't come out with these yet for us bikers. Just think you could hear your stereo, a horn honking, your CB or intercom as clear as a bell without all the other noises.

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
biglefti said:
Where did you get them, and are they plug and play noise cancelling with the stock goldwing intercom system? Also, how thick are the speakers?

laen said:
No I dont have them I have J & M. Why doesnt someone make a hi fidelity speaker set for helmets like Bose does for headphones.

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
I have done some experimenting with different noise canceling systems on the bike, and they can be made to work. They will greatly reduce cyclic noises from the engine and road and tires. Sometimes buffeting can cause them problems though but a simple low pass filter can easily block that out.

They will greatly reduce the level of ambient noise and actually make it easier to hear horn or any unusual noises. I have talked to four different intercom manufactures and they all make excuses when I ask them why they don't investigate making them. Not one that I have talked to has even actually TRIED to do it.

I bought a $37 pair of NCT NoiseBusters and put them in a helmet and they worked pretty good right out of the box. I don't understand why someone hasn't taken this idea and run with it, as they would have customers beating down their doors.

I bet you see someone starts making these in the next couple of years, and the first ones to the market are going to have to turn away orders. Imagine being able to have quiet like you are wearing earplugs, without wearing earplugs. This technology works and can easily be put on bikes with very little modification.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
EdSets had an article about hearing and noise cancelling technques on their web site that boiled down to him saying it would not work with wind noise as experienced on a motorcycle. I tried to go to that site and post its link but found that the article is not there now. Hummm.

From what I can remember, his explaination made sense, but if Fred H says he tried one and it gave good results, I would be open to hearing more details.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have pair of Bose Comfort II'S. They are pretty darn neat. When I am in my van I have them coming out of my Aux output so I can listen to my XM and get noise cancelling also. They are pretty neat, and they have very good fidelity. They do not make your surrondings around you totally quite, like a nice hush to everything. I dont see why they cant make these work for a bike. Can you imagine Arai and Bose getting together and coming out with a helmet together? THat thing would cost a fortune.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
On my Kawasaki Nomad with loud dual baggers, I installed an Autocom Pro-7. It worked great using a vox (voice actuated microphone) system. The quality of the speakers weren't as good as the J&M, but they were a lot smaller and didn't hurt my ears like the J&M do. Yes, I have them properly installed, just sensitive ears<G>. I think the Goldwing system would be a lot better if it was vox. Have any of you heard of a conversion kit for this?

·
Registered
95 Posts
i've never tried a set of NC headphones on or off the bike, but i sure am a fan of custom-molded earplugs with speakers. dramatically reduces the ambient noises while allowing you to still hear what you need to hear - horns, sirens, failing truck tires...

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an old set of Grado SR80 headphones that sound great to the IPOD output. I have thought about buying the wiring only from J&M(they will sell me) and splicing my own as an experiment to higher fidelity.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Noise cancelling for me means -20db earplugs. With them I can hear and enjoy the music, understand the words, cb communications, and outside signals. Without them all I hear is roaring noise.

Ride long and safe..and $.20 for earplugs beats overpriced Bose gear of doubtful efficacy any day.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 ZGL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
296 Posts
I looked at the Bose website, and did not find noise cancelling motorcycle earplugs. Are you looking at the Quiet Comfort headphones? Those wont fit under a helmet!! If they made earplugs that would be great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts