GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i shift into 5th at around 3k-3500k i get a delayed noise after i shift, it does shift but then theres the clunk , its like a delayed shift noise, no change in rpm or speed, but if i shift into 5th around 2000-2500 no noise, no other gears make this noise.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
if i shift into 5th at around 3k-3500k i get a delayed noise after i shift, it does shift but then theres the clunk , its like a delayed shift noise, no change in rpm or speed, but if i shift into 5th around 2000-2500 no noise, no other gears make this noise.
Do a search for ghost shifting. Document and make sure you let Honda know. Seems more and more bikes are doing this.

·
Vendor
18,085 Posts
Could it be popping out of 5th, floating into a "false nuetral" and then clunking back in?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not going into neutral because i dont feel any loss it pulls no change in forward movement no change in rpm, just the noise..

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I dunno what rpm I run at. I just listen to the engine. I do know unless I am on the interstate or a open back road I am never in fifth gear. Any speed below 60 mph rare that I will be in fifth.

Try that for awhile, see is it wears in and acts right. Wait till you have some speed before shifting into high gear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i will try that, one thing i forgot to add if i shift into 5th without the clutch i never get the noise.

·
Vendor
18,085 Posts
Did you just happen to try that, or do you normally not clutch when shifting?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, not a normal thing, tried it several times, and it makes the noise go away

·
Registered
199 Posts
I Rhughes Excuse my English

If I understand you have a clunk, I do not inquiètre more than that of your clunk, noise that you hear the becklash gears, and there are many.

I have a 2003 and depending on the RPM I change the speed Clunk especially between the first and second gear. And sometimes nothing.
Even between the 4 th and 5 th often no clunk.

I were you I'd be more nervous if he did not clunk

FlyBoy2121:thumbup:

no, not a normal thing, tried it several times, and it makes the noise go away

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clunk when changing I am used to but this is after I change gears

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Clunk when changing I am used to but this is after I change gears
So if I understand you right???.

1) You feel a clunk AFTER you shift.

It does not grind at all.
It does not pop out/back in the same gear.
It does not find a false neutreal gear.

Is that right??

OR---

2)Do you feel as if you shifted in gear then as you excelerate it goes bang like you can feel it through the drive line,But it never loses momentium.Just a bang in the driveline.
Is that correct??.

Which best describes your issue 1 or 2.??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
#2 is the situation I have, Doesn't always but most of the time, and if don't use the clutch it shifts and no noise, also at slower speeds, it does not make the clunk, like shift into 5th at 40 no noise

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
#2 is the situation I have, Doesn't always but most of the time, and if don't use the clutch it shifts and no noise, also at slower speeds, it does not make the clunk, like shift into 5th at 40 no noise

My thoughts are it's a defective shifter drum.Mine would do the same thing when shifted into second two up.

Just as I was exceleratingit would Clunk/bang (is the term I used) while in second.it never grinded.or popped out of second gear.It was just a bang and I always use the clutch.

Unfortunately my tranny blew up big time and the second gear breaking up destroyed other parts.So it's hard to say what my "Shifter drum" looked like before the tranny blew up big time.

Here is what I'd do if I were you and still in warranty?.

I suggest you take the bike in and have the mechanic test ride the bike.even though he will more than likely at this point say "I couldn't get it to do it."

Then call Honda customer support each and every time it does it again,and it will too!
http://powersports.honda.com/questions/customer.aspx

It doesn't hurt to have the same guy test ride it after you experience it again either.Even though he won't fin it.It's creating a trail of events that will help YOU later on down the line should it totally fail.

Honda will log all your complaints each and every time.When you talk to a support person-Ask for their name and "Direct line 5 digit extension" It saves you from all the double talk each time you call them back.

When you call the above number you are asked is you know the parties extension-Press 8-you then enter the extension and go directly to the same person you are dealing with!

I just got a new engine because I documented each dealer experience,and reported the dealers lack of identifying my issue.Honda was aware from the start and stood behind my blown up gear box in spite of the dealer saying to my face-This is not normal and shouldn't have happened unless you were in high RPM's to do that much damage".

So is anyone has any issues with a ghost shifter or any other tranny issue?.
Then get it tested out at a dealer and then place the call to Honda if you are in warranty/ex-warranty.It's a CYA policy that works!.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Rhughes,

My 06 does the exact same thing. It does not like to be shifted into 5th (only 5th) between 2500-3000 unless under heavy acceleration. If I lightly keep my fingers on the clutch lever, I can even feel the lever snap further away from the grip to where it should be when the clunk takes place.....like it goes all the way into the gear, and this is NOT a result of lazy shifting. It does not pop out of 5th, and there is no loss in power.....it just feels like it goes deeper into gear, and the clutch lever springs forward a bit more...like something inside is sticking, but only when shifting into 5th.
I either shift into 5th a little early, or over 3000rpm, or pre load the shifter (lift up on it with my toe prior to shifting) if I shift between 2500-3000. Then I don't get the clunk.
Not trying to hijack your thread, just hoping to further describe an issue that I think we are both having.....
Kurt

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep that is what mine is doing and i did try what you are describing, preload shifter and just pull the clutch a little bit, then no noise. but you are describing it perfect saying it goes deeper into gear that is exactly what it feels like. and yes if i shift into 5th below 2500, no noise, or shift between the 2500 and 3000 and take accellerate easy then no noise. thanks for your input makes me feel better, i DO NOT want to rebuild trans, and i DO DO NOT NOT want to pay honda or anyone else to do it either, i wonder if it could be the drive line backlash?

·
Vendor
18,085 Posts
Rhughes,

My 06 does the exact same thing. It does not like to be shifted into 5th (only 5th) between 2500-3000 unless under heavy acceleration. If I lightly keep my fingers on the clutch lever, I can even feel the lever snap further away from the grip to where it should be when the clunk takes place.....like it goes all the way into the gear, and this is NOT a result of lazy shifting. It does not pop out of 5th, and there is no loss in power.....it just feels like it goes deeper into gear, and the clutch lever springs forward a bit more...like something inside is sticking, but only when shifting into 5th.
I either shift into 5th a little early, or over 3000rpm, or pre load the shifter (lift up on it with my toe prior to shifting) if I shift between 2500-3000. Then I don't get the clunk.
Not trying to hijack your thread, just hoping to further describe an issue that I think we are both having.....
Kurt
yep that is what mine is doing and i did try what you are describing, preload shifter and just pull the clutch a little bit, then no noise. but you are describing it perfect saying it goes deeper into gear that is exactly what it feels like. and yes if i shift into 5th below 2500, no noise, or shift between the 2500 and 3000 and take accellerate easy then no noise. thanks for your input makes me feel better, i DO NOT want to rebuild trans, and i DO DO NOT NOT want to pay honda or anyone else to do it either, i wonder if it could be the drive line backlash?
These are not deffective shift drums unless milage is young. How many miles?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Mine has about 75k miles. It has been doing this for the past 60k when I bought the bike and has not gotten any better or worse. I have also noticed that it only does this after the bike is warmed up, and does it less with fresh oil in it. Bleeding ttire clutch also helps too. I can actually tell when it hasn't gone all the way into 5th gear and is going to do this, so I just drop it into fourth and shift again. I know how the bike likes to be shifted, though, so it rarely happens. It would be nice to actually know what's going on in there though. It is definately something transmission or clutch related ....... It is strange that when it is going to make the noise and go "deeper" into 5th, the clutch lever, when initially released only comes out about half way, and then snaps out all the way as the clunking happens a few seconds later.

Kurt

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
Rocky has it right--hopefully you have the extended warranty. Better act now

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My thoughts are it's a defective shifter drum.Mine would do the same thing when shifted into second two up.

Just as I was exceleratingit would Clunk/bang (is the term I used) while in second.it never grinded.or popped out of second gear.It was just a bang and I always use the clutch.

Unfortunately my tranny blew up big time and the second gear breaking up destroyed other parts.So it's hard to say what my "Shifter drum" looked like before the tranny blew up big time.

Here is what I'd do if I were you and still in warranty?.

I suggest you take the bike in and have the mechanic test ride the bike.even though he will more than likely at this point say "I couldn't get it to do it."

Then call Honda customer support each and every time it does it again,and it will too!
http://powersports.honda.com/questions/customer.aspx

It doesn't hurt to have the same guy test ride it after you experience it again either.Even though he won't fin it.It's creating a trail of events that will help YOU later on down the line should it totally fail.

Honda will log all your complaints each and every time.When you talk to a support person-Ask for their name and "Direct line 5 digit extension" It saves you from all the double talk each time you call them back.

When you call the above number you are asked is you know the parties extension-Press 8-you then enter the extension and go directly to the same person you are dealing with!

I just got a new engine because I documented each dealer experience,and reported the dealers lack of identifying my issue.Honda was aware from the start and stood behind my blown up gear box in spite of the dealer saying to my face-This is not normal and shouldn't have happened unless you were in high RPM's to do that much damage".

So is anyone has any issues with a ghost shifter or any other tranny issue?.
Then get it tested out at a dealer and then place the call to Honda if you are in warranty/ex-warranty.It's a CYA policy that works!.

I don't want to turn this into a prolonged tread about shifting and riding styles. All I can say more and more bikes are starting to experinece this kind of problem. As Rocky has said....CYA. Get informed do some searcing on this forum and on google. You will be amazed what information is available to you. It is like everything, you have to decide for yourself what direction you take.

Good luck,

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

The reason I suspect the shifter drum is this.5th gear has 8 dogs on it.4 lower that the other 4 in height.My thought is the shifter drum is not moving smooth enough (due to burr) to allow the shifter fork to "fully" engage all 8 dogs because the shifter foork pin is hanging up a tad.

When you pull the clutch lever in and either re-shift or drop down so 4th and repeat 5th gear up-shift it then fully engages and the clunk isn't heard.

Here is a picture to show the different dog heights (right side of the pic)

Here is a shifter drum.notice the chips missing.
You can see the shifter forks pin that slides in the shifter drum on the right.

Could this be your exact problem"who knows" but it does pose a possibility of your issue.

I've seen a few chipped shifter drums in the past to know that these are cast and brittle,so it doesn't take much to see results like these.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts