GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I experienced a noise between a clicking and clunk from the front end during parking lot and low speed. It was more pronounced when turning to the right. There was no object in the tire and the wheel turned as free as ever, with just the normal brake drag. I thought, and my buddies thought that maybe it was a stone caught inside the wheel.

It went away and I did over thirty miles, some at high speed, trying to repeat it. Then last night and about 60 miles further, it came back for a while, again at low speed.

I haven't ripped anything apart yet, and I have about 11,000 miles since I put on tires before a trip out west last year. The bearings were new probably 25,000 miles ago when I got chrome wheels. Is this sound possbily coming from bearings starting to fail? I can't think of anything else but I never have had any vechicle make this funny sound before. Please share your thought on this. I am hesitant to ride it very far now and I haven't time to rip into it for at least a week.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump... come on guys, give me an idea here please.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Make sure the Axle is aligned, and no space between the Axle and Forks.
Wheel may be shifting on the Axle.

My guess would be that a wheel bearing would make a grinding or ticking noise if it were going bad. They are pretty well captured in the wheel. Doubt they would Clunk.

Can you raise the front wheel off the ground and have someone hold the Handlebars while you try to move the wheel side to side.

Also check the Anti Dive Linkage and make sure it is not loose. As well as the Caliper Bolts.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
While on the center stand have someone hold the back end down while you spin the front wheel and turn it left and right. Maybe you can pin point the noise. I have a stethoscope that I use for things like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts