GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home yesterday and thought my fuel economy was a bit low so I checked the rear for brake drag, etc.
It was fully warm down there and I heard a little bit of a clicking sound, like a handful of river rocks slowly tumbling in a heavy felt bag. Nothing harsh or loud.
I asked Paul to come by today and listened to his bike's rear; no such noise. Just a little brake scrape.
And today my bike didn't make any noise with the pieces cold.
The rear wheel isn't stock on my bike; the original was gouged by a shop owner and he replaced it with a polished one that he had gouged on another occasion.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
115 Posts
My final drive failed last week on my 03 with 51k miles. The left bearing cage failed.

Buck in NE Arkansas

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
final drive

Bill that sounds like the noise I first heard when my final drive bearing went out . Started like that and got worse over about 5000 miles then it sounded louder and kind of like when we were kids and cut a piece out of the plastic milk jug and closepinned it so the spokes would flick it.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hate to say this, but my final drive is on it's way out the door as well. Got the clicking and the rubbing sound as some of you have indicated.

I am trying to baby it through this season and then get it worked on, hopefully on warranty.

I wonder if the final drive is going to be the weak link as far as bikes with a few miles on them?

I would not consider getting more than 100 miles away from home, till it gets fixed or blows apart.

Bulldog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts