GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is that rattling noise in the front and especially in the back when you hit bumps in the roadway? And how do you stop it? I think I found the one in the back "the trunk hinges"...........2006 ABS/Com/Nav

W

·
0 Posts
Road Hog said:
What is that rattling noise in the front and especially in the back when you hit bumps in the roadway? And how do you stop it? I think I found the one in the back "the trunk hinges"...........2006 ABS/Com/Nav
The front could be a loose fender, check your fasteners.

The back could be many things.
What are you carrying in the trunk?
How about the trunk lid, could it be rubbing somewhere?
License plate on tight?

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
My guess would be the harsh suspension

·
Registered
53 Posts
Noise

First check to see if you have stuff in the trunk.....Next check the trunk lid hinges....the latch stays tight but the lid can become loose at the hinges....as for the front....Last time I took mine apert I used a small dab of silocone between each part that toched any thing else....it could be a lot of things and the only way to find it is start takeing it apart....This project for takeing it apart and puting it back together is not for the week of heart....be brave and have lots of room to set parts in a line as it comes apart. Put scrues in lots of cans near the parts as it is disasembeled. I had a rattel in the front. I did this and now its gone...I never found out what it was but its gone. I always thought it was from the era near the mirrior but I couldent find any thing loose...But the rattel is gone....Dave

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
On a lot of bikes that we pull the front wheel off, we find that little chrome piece on top of the fender to be loose.

There is a pin in it at the top, and in many case the pin is not seated.

Worth a try.

Bulldog

·
Registered
504 Posts
The chrome thingie above the front fender on mine was loose and would rattle sometimes on bumps and also make a very irritating buzz at certain speeds. It took a while to figure out that was where the sound was coming from.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The rear rattle may be the trunk hinges.When the trunk is closed, the hinges rattle against the bottom.
I put some foam selfstick pads under the hinges and my rattle was gone (somebody else posted this
awhile back, but I could not find it)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blento said:
The rear rattle may be the trunk hinges.When the trunk is closed, the hinges rattle against the bottom.
I put some foam selfstick pads under the hinges and my rattle was gone (somebody else posted this
awhile back, but I could not find it)
Thanks for that advice. I was trying to figure out what I was going to put under those hinges. Where did you get the selfstick foam? Thanks....

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Bulldog said:
On a lot of bikes that we pull the front wheel off, we find that little chrome piece on top of the fender to be loose.

There is a pin in it at the top, and in many case the pin is not seated.

Worth a try.

Bulldog
I gotta check this one out, mine has had an annoying rattle in the front fender area since delivery. All the fasteners were tight, hmmmm!!! cool, Terry

·
Registered
501 Posts
Roadhog...Homedepot has selfstick foam (used for weather strip)
or they also have the felt pads used on chair legs.
Anything soft will work there is plenty of room when the trunk is closed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts