GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed a whining or squealing noise coming from the front of my 05 wing. Hard to describe but sounds mostly like a bearing - intermittent. You can hear it at idle, while riding, and while sitting in neutral.

UPDATE: I went out and started the bike and listened carefully. The noise started and I traced it to what I think is the assembly that controls the headlight adjustment. As I dialed the adjustment control, the noise would increase and/or change.

Has anyone heard of this before? Any solution short of replacing that motor assembly ?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Look for bird parts, leaves, or twigs in the fan inlet area. I had a small stick lodged in my right fan that made an intermittent squeal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The headlight adjuster motors don't move unless you rotate the dial. How could they make noise if you're not rotating the dial? The noise has to be in the engine/tranny/alternator or anything else that's rotating if you can hear it with the engine running and your not moving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this exact same thing last spring. It was indeed the headlight adjustment motor squealing, whether I was using it or not. I posted a query here at the time, and no one had heard of it before. See: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... highlight=

Two things to check - first, reach in and put your fingers on the headlight adjuster motor. If it's vibrating while the squealing is going on, that's it. Second, rotate the adjustment control knob, and the squealing will likely get worse.

It about drove me nuts during the week it took me to figure out what it was! Once I figured out what it was, my dealer replaced the adjustment motor under warranty. Unfortunately, I had to put up with the squealing another couple of days while waiting on the part to arrive.

Good luck!

Eric

'04 Candy Black Cherry

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JericZ - this is exactly what is happening...........
Thanks for the confirmation.......
Seems like a rare occurence as no one else has had any input.
Thanks.
Off to the service department............

·
Registered
28 Posts
This very same symptom has been driving me NUTS until I found it this afternoon... It almost sounded like it was getting ready to boil over... like there was air in the coolant.... or an alternator getting ready to go...

Since I don't use the adjustment at all is there a simple way to just unplug the power to the adjustment motor?

I, like you, was perplexed as to why the motor was operating even though no adjustments have been made....

Wow do I love this board! :)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
This very same symptom has been driving me NUTS until I found it this afternoon... It almost sounded like it was getting ready to boil over... like there was air in the coolant.... or an alternator getting ready to go...

Since I don't use the adjustment at all is there a simple way to just unplug the power to the adjustment motor?

I, like you, was perplexed as to why the motor was operating even though no adjustments have been made....

Wow do I love this board! :)
Yes both motors have a pin connector to them that provides power. Just unplug it.

Kit

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there a way to unplug the motors without removing the fairing / cowling to get to it? I noticed the headlights were on the same circuit so pulling the fuse was out of the question...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was able to get a hold of a service manual... I have it tracked down to the left adjuster motor... Looks like if I pull the left inner fairing pocket I should be able to unplug it from there...

Will be glad to put this one behind me...

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts