GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Honda C.B. antenna to my 2002 Wing, and a Radio-Shack C.B. Radio up front on the left front pocket lid.
Everything is working well on transmit and receive, however I have noise comming thru the C.B. Radio speaker-----sounds like it may be picking up the noise from the alternator and the electric fuel pump.
Sounds like a whine and it increases with engine speed, one noise increases with excelleration---the other kind of stays the same as the bike runs. Maybe there needs to get some kind of filter installed?
Wonder if anyone else has had this problem with aftermarket C.B.'s and what is the solution if any?
Thanks for any info anyone can give.
Dick.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you running straight to the battery or plugging in to aux power in the side pocket? You may try a filter from radio shack on the hot wire close to the battery.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noise in speaker on c.b. radio

I have the c.b. hooked up to the power supply in the left front pocket on the fairing.
I have also tried to use a 12volt source from a converter hooked up to the 120 outlet-which wasn't even connected to the bike. The noise was the same.
I was going to try hooking it up direct to the battery in the bike---but when the noise was the same when hooked up to a outside 12volt converter, I figured that going direct to the bikes battery source wouldn't make any difference. I'll try the bikes battery and see what happens.
Thanks for any help anyone can give!
Dick.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Since your noise is coming thru any time the engine is running - AND it does sound like you might have it pegged as alternator and fuel pump - and the noise is the same regardless of power source (right fairing pocket or external) - it sounds like the noise must be picked up by antenna.

Try disconnecting the antenna and see if the noise goes away. If so, then no amount of filtering on the power leads will help, the source will have to be attached. Have fun!! You might try ferrites on the power leads to the fuel pump... they will need to be installed as close to the fuel pump (inside tank?) as possible. The alternator will need sometype of filter there also - It "should" have that already.

I've got to check my bike and see how it is for RF noise.

Good luck - keep us posted on your sucess.
Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts