GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i bought my wing it had a scrapping sound from the front rotor.
when i had the weilding done i mentioned it to my dealer. when i picked up the bike it sounded better.
but 800 miles later it started making a whirling sound, slight at first but now getting louder.
this is not a scraping sound and the rotor does not feel that hot.
it starts off quite ,then after it warms up gets louder. i checked the caliper, i cleaned it with brake cleaner.
does any one have any idea what this could be? its six days before i can take it to the dealer
i also checked the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Stay off it for six days and take it to the dealer. Could be nothing at all but a minor adjustment or something that will cause you and the bike bodily injury.

G

·
Does the noise change or go away if you apply some brake?
Could be the caliper dragging on the rotors. Or put the bike on the center stand lift the front wheel and see if you can isolate the noise. It should be pretty easy to determine if it is brake related or bearing. May also be the speedometer drive.

·
15 year Member
6,997 Posts
If it is an almost harmonic humming sound , I had/ have that same exact problem also. I too asked this board. I got home checked all the bolts and tire condition and found the board to be right on target. It has something to do with the pad and rotor making slight contact. It was very un-nerving at first, and comes and goes . As time goes on it will compleatly go away, mine did. But as always, if the comments here still leave you with pause, get it checked by dealer BEFORE you venture out!!

MattILRed2002 :wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. i looked at the rotors and they have a slight drag which i consider to be normal. but i was thinking it could be the speedometer. how would you check it. can it be disconneted for a test ? thanks again .

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
storm said:
May also be the speedometer drive.
The speedometer drive is not on the front wheel on this bike. It is an electronic speed sensor on the right side of the motor/transmission. However, if you have ABS brakes, there is also a speed sensor on the front wheel. I doubt you could here the magnetic hum created by either of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts