GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'03 just turned 183,000 miles. Went up and back to Pigeon Forge, TN this past weekend. Had this noise (something like a playing card on the spokes of a bicycle) only a little louder and with some minor vibration. At first thought it was the rubber protectors on the muffler tabs (missing). Today installed protectors, still had the noise. Further examing led to possible driveshaft or maybe tranny. Run at 65 mph, have the noise; pull in the clutch, still have the noise; rev the engine, noise deceased as speed decreased. Honda says possibel bearing in tranny, has to look/listen to it. Two week back log in their shop. Anyone have any experiece with this kind of problem/noise? Thank you for any and all responses.

·
Registered
92 Posts
At about that mileage on my 05 the u-joint went south. For 30 days or so I observed a vibration in the right mirror, but not the left. Had a clicking sound when the drive line pressure was reduced. For example just after the crest of a hill, or sometimes at the bottom of a hill. Mirror vibration was the first indication.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did some more checking. Possible it is the final drive. Others had mentioned not too many driveshafts but quite a few final drives. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I got a new trike takeoff from a local trike shop here for $100. Cured all my problems.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I replaced my drive shaft at 120k just because, it is not worn out, but it sure is loose. The new one I purchased is nice and tight. I did the final drive replacement at the same time as well. So here is the scoop on Wing drive shafts......

GL1800 drive shafts are not all the same......

The drive shaft part numbers for a GL1800 2001 through 2005 are;

40200-MCA-000
40200-MCA-010

Drive shaft length for the GL1800 2001 through 2005 is;

49cm or 19 5/16 inches.

The drive shaft part numbers for a GL1800 2006 through 2008 is;
40200-MCA-A60

Drive shaft length for the GL1800 2006 through 2008 is;

51.5cm or 20 1/4 inches.

In this photo the top drive line is from a 2007 GL1800 that was triked.
The bottom drive line is the one I ordered from HDL for my 2002.
These drive lines are identical until you get past the u-joint.

It should be obvious that the newer model longer drive shafts will not fit the older model wings. Finding a newly triked early model with low or no miles is a long shot at best. A new shaft from HDL is only $221.22. It is easy enough job to get done on a Saturday afternoon....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info on driveshafts. That will be useful. Did some more checking this morning: oil drained & replaced, looked alright & nothing on end of magnetic drain plug; started engine & allowed to warm up, shifted through all gears. 1st seem alright; 2nd maybe the same; 3rd had noise; 4th more noise; 5th was the worst. Slowly increase throttle, noise got even worst. It sounded like a rock crusher. Ended the test and am of the opinion, at least until I can get it into a shop, that I need a Final Drive unit. MIght as well install driveshaft too. Any comments from anyone?

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Got the bike into dealer yesterday. They started it up, listened for about 30 secs and said it was the Primary Drive rear of motor. Have to pull engine, should be under HPP unless there is abuse. They have done several before but not anywhere near my mileage (183,000+).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FINAL UPDATE: Finally got the bike back from the dealer (It only took six (6) weeks). Part came in on Wed., got the bike on the following Tues. Turned out it was the driveshaft. Thanks for everyone input, next time I will listen more to the board.

·
Registered
589 Posts
'03 just turned 183,000 miles. Went up and back to Pigeon Forge, TN this past weekend. Had this noise (something like a playing card on the spokes of a bicycle) only a little louder and with some minor vibration. At first thought it was the rubber protectors on the muffler tabs (missing). Today installed protectors, still had the noise. Further examing led to possible driveshaft or maybe tranny. Run at 65 mph, have the noise; pull in the clutch, still have the noise; rev the engine, noise deceased as speed decreased. Honda says possibel bearing in tranny, has to look/listen to it. Two week back log in their shop. Anyone have any experiece with this kind of problem/noise? Thank you for any and all responses.
Mr Maverick I am just wondering how many miles do you plan on riding this Ole Girl ? I would think at around 200K more and more of these items will start showing up. I take my hat off to you and others who ride out your bikes but I would also be concerned about something failing while riding and safety :shrug:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Noise

My 2001 was noise was caused by an improperly installed rubber driveshaft boot. If you need, I have complete 2003 take off in Huntsville. Good Luck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate everyone's comments. I guess I was lucky for it to last this long. I've heard of others going out in less time/miles. My alternator went out at 102,000 miles and I was in Oregon at time (home was in San Diego). At that time there wasn't any data on the 1800's Alt like there is for the 1500. Same for the driveshaft on the 1800. Maybe the driveshaft should be removed & inspected, say every 100,000, also re-lube the splines.

The pivot shafts on the U-Joint have bearings (I believe) and I guess they just finally wore out, causing the shaft to move about.

·
Registered
584 Posts
driveshaft

Anyone have any thoughts on if cheaper to change the U joints ?

I had a Honda Odyssey ATV once, and the u-joints in the rear axles were propriety. It figures.
A new axle with 2 u-joints? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! Oh, btw, you couldn't buy the joints separate. I took one apart and it was some ******* size. :twisted:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts