GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought my front wheel bearings were loud so i changed them... still got the noise. I found it but I want you to guess what the noise was. I searched here but never asked if any suggestions so I did wheel bearings for no reason.
A little insight. the sound was a roar with a little whine. my grandson said it was coming from the middle of the bike but he is 9, what does he know? The noise did not change when applying brakes or killing engine, clutch in or out in neutral.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Year and mileage? :joke:

Since you are stating right side only and middle of bike; I will take your words for those aspects and agree with others that the drive shaft boot has vacuum wrapped and come loose to rub between frame and yoke.

If you had said during modest turns and from rear, I would agree with rear tire scalloping. From front, debris between fender and tire.

prs

·
Banned
792 Posts
How long until you tell us? Was your grandson riding the bike or how else can he tell you it was coming from the mid section? :shrug:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an 02 with 120,000 miles. my grandson was on the back with me. It was the boot on the driveshaft. it is torn but i got it back on and the noise stopped. What does the boot do besides keep wires off the shaft? It appears to have u-joints, not a CV joint, is that correct? so dust should not be the issue. your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Still got all the neighborhood cats accounted for?

And don't start... I have and (usually) like cats...:thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
It's just a dust boot to help keep road dirt and water out. Glad you have it fixed. Any damage to the boot and why did it come off?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not sure why it came off, the rear end was replaced before i got it so i can only guess it was not put on correctly or maybe vacuum. the boot is torn in the middle.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have an 02 with 120,000 miles. my grandson was on the back with me. It was the boot on the driveshaft. it is torn but i got it back on and the noise stopped. What does the boot do besides keep wires off the shaft? It appears to have u-joints, not a CV joint, is that correct? so dust should not be the issue. your thoughts are appreciated.
My boot was off my 01 on the swingarmside did not notice any noise increase but the driveshaft and final drive was rusty because of water getting in

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
not sure why it came off, the rear end was replaced before i got it so i can only guess it was not put on correctly or maybe vacuum. the boot is torn in the middle.
Probably it was not reinstalled correctly. Most don't the trick to getting one back on correctly. I see others discuss how difficult it is. They really only takes seconds to get back on.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Probably it was not reinstalled correctly. Most don't the trick to getting one back on correctly. I see others discuss how difficult it is. They really only takes seconds to get back on.
Ok what's the trick?? Getting it back on the motor side was easy getting it back on the swingarm was the hardest job I have done on the wing so far

1 - 18 of 18 Posts