GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody moved from the 102 to the 103 NCOM? My 102 isn't always closing on both sides without having to play around with it. I also like the idea of the inside tinted visor.

My local dealer who matches prices doesn't carry Nolan so before I order online I need to know if the sizes run the same between the two lids.

Thanks,
Hector

·
Registered
847 Posts
I moved from the 102 to the 103, sizing runs the same. Having said that I will not buy another 103, I had to adda 1/2 inch of foam to the top to keep it off my ears. It is also not a quite as the 102.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My brother and I both switched from the 102 to the 103 this spring.

We both found that the 103 runs a size smaller than the 102. I had a XL 102 but had to go to a XXL 103. My brother had a XXL 102, and the XXL 103 is way to small for him.

The 103 is also quite a bit noisier. If I knew then what I know now I would have went with a different helmet.

Hawkmoon - Now you have me thinking. Might have to try the foam trick and see if that makes it fit better.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I also went to a 103 from a 102 and needed one size larger. I like the internal tinted visor. Also if you have J&M speakers the 102 stuff will not fit the 103. Don't ask me how I know!:eek:4:
Bill

·
Registered
397 Posts
I too went from a 102 to the 103, the only good thing I can say about the 103 is it has an internal visor. This helmet sucks, it's loud, uncomfortable and ill fitting. Even going up a size from the 102 to the 103 it is way too tight through the temples for me. The 102 fit great.

I will be going back to my Z1r's

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I didn't notice much difference between the two other than the inside tinted shield AND the J&M headset from the 102 DOES NOT fit in the 103. Speakers are too thick and the boom mike needs to be longer.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had 2 102s before ordering a 103. I did not like the 103. too tight, not enough room for the mic and not comfortable like the 102.

I returned the 103 and got another 102. Now the 102s are no longer available.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I moved from the 102 to the 103, sizing runs the same. Having said that I will not buy another 103, I had to adda 1/2 inch of foam to the top to keep it off my ears. It is also not a quite as the 102.
I had just the opposite experience. :shrug: I had the 102, bought a 103 in the same size, XXL, and could barely get it on. :eek:4: Hurt like hell after a couple minutes. Sold it at a loss and got another 102 that fit fine. WTH?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks for the great information! I think I will explore some other lid options before I jump. Fortunately I do have a regular lid to wear. I just wish it wasn't black. It is hot out.

Hector

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Just remember this ... ANY new helmet is (should) fit much closer ... tighter ... than your old "broken in" helmet ...

It's taking some time but my new 103 is getting better all the time. My old 102 with 50,000 miles on it fits too loose for good safety. My new 103 is not really comfortable yet but improves with each ride.

ANY new helmet ... to be properly fit for it's intended use ... should be quite snug when new ...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just remember this ... ANY new helmet is (should) fit much closer ... tighter ... than your old "broken in" helmet ...

It's taking some time but my new 103 is getting better all the time. My old 102 with 50,000 miles on it fits too loose for good safety. My new 103 is not really comfortable yet but improves with each ride.

ANY new helmet ... to be properly fit for it's intended use ... should be quite snug when new ...
so true. I like that snug fit of a new helmet. It makes me feel a little safer.

Maybe I wasn't held enough as an infant?

Hector

·
Registered
512 Posts
HBravo,

Not trying to steer you into a different helmet,but you may want to take a look at these modular helmets. They do have the internal visor as you are wanting.
washable lining, quick disconnect chin strap,,not the old school d-ring setup,etc.
Click on the link,,, then click on Products,,,then click on Modular,,,then the 815 model.
Pretty sweet helmet and DOT and CE approved FWIW.
If you were interested you could pm,,me,,Not that I am a salesman for them, but I can get you one at a very good price. ( I just met one of the guys that works here at the Slimey Crud run a couple years ago,and we have kept in contact). I pretty good Joe too.
They are shipped straight from Hong Kong,,and at your doorstep in 7 USPS days from order day.
You would want to order these one size larger than what you actually take for a hat size.

http://www.maseihelmets.com/

Just something to take a look at if nothing else.
Regardless hope you find a brain bucket that suits your needs and wear it ALL the time,,bottom line!

take care,
bc

·
Registered
251 Posts
102-103

Why does it have to be a 103....The new N-90 is a great helmet and does everything the 103 does only for less money....103 rubs on my ears....N-90 fits great!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you looked at the Nolan N90S. Similar in fit to the 102, but with more chin room. Has the inner shield, quite and reasonable air flow. Very easy to add a headset and less expensive. I really like mine. Read the N90 review webbikeworld.com.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts

My 103 was not snug. :roll: It was just plain too small. I know how a helmet is suppose to fit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
N90s

Have you looked at the Nolan N90S. Similar in fit to the 102, but with more chin room. Has the inner shield, quite and reasonable air flow. Very easy to add a headset and less expensive. I really like mine. Read the N90 review webbikeworld.com.

How's the noise level with the N90S? Weight? Wind buffeting? Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the additional posts, all.

I had not looked at the other modular offerings from Nolan. I was hoping the 103 would be an easy upgrade since I knew the 102 fit well. Other than that, I like to walk around the store with a helmet on my head for a while before I buy.

I will check the link for the helmet you mentioned.

Hector

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do speakers fit? What kind do you have?

Tia

Hector

1 - 20 of 22 Posts