GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been partially beaten to death in the past, and yes, I've read a lot of the threads..., so now I have a fairly specific question.

I've pretty-well made up my mind to get a new Nolan N-103 helmet, with the J&M Elite 584 headset. Checking on-line and reading some threads, I've come up with the following pricing information...

Helmet and headset, installed:

J&M - $549
Wingstuff - $461

Helmet and headset, NOT installed:

Direct Parts Line - $579
Sierra - $504

I couldn't find anything on the DPL or Sierra web sites indicating that they could send it out installed, so I'm assuming they dont do that.

From what I've read, I'm not sure I want to do the install myself, so I'm looking at the "installed" package. Wingstuff has quite a good price (that's the VIP price), but I've read a couple of comments from folks who weren't happy with their install. J&M seems to have the best idea for the installation, even indicating that the N-103 needs a thinner earpiece than the normal Elite 584 headset.

I'd like to hear comments from anyone who has direct experience with either of these "installed" packages, good or bad..., or anyone who knows of any other reliable vendor who sells the same "installed" package. I'm not interested in the whys and wherefores of other brands of helmet and/or intercom..., only about this particular combination.

Thanks a bunch...

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I"m pretty sure Sierra will install for you. They have in the past and do at the rallies.
Ask them!
Good Luck!

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Sierra installed a headset for me at the GWRRA rally...they would NOT do any installs at WingDing. So they will install, just call them and ask...

I also installed a few headsets myself, and it REALLY is not that difficult, Brian...just take apart an old helmet and see...so easy even a cavewoman can do it...:roll: :22yikes: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have the Nolan N102 and the J&M 584 series headset. Your gonna love the combination.

Sierra Electronics states on their website that they offer installation.

I installed my own. Since you are cutting into the helmet and into the foam, it seems to be a daunting task when you read the instructions but easier than it reads in real life. The Dremel tool is your friend.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I'd like to hear comments from anyone who has direct experience with either of these "installed" packages, good or bad..., or anyone who knows of any other reliable vendor who sells the same "installed" package. I'm not interested in the whys and wherefores of other brands of helmet and/or intercom..., only about this particular combination.

Thanks a bunch...
I bought my Nolan helmets with pre-installed J&M headsets from J&M. They do fine work and they have excellent customer service.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Got our two N103's from Sierra a few months ago with the elites already installed. Love the sound quality and yes...the speakers are a bit thinner and made for the 103s.

Dan

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Brian,

Call Diana at Sierra. I'm sure they will "hook you up" no problem. They do great work. They did a FANTASTIC job on my Shoei with the 584's!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I"m pretty sure Sierra will install for you. They have in the past and do at the rallies.
Ask them!
Good Luck!
sierra installs for free, anything you buy from them

they even installed a j and m elite clampless on a helmet, i sent to them, with no install charge, i did buy the headsets from them

very good service

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nolan helmet

Hey Brian, I have a brand new N-102 in Black, size medium for $100 if that works for you. I found I wear a Large instead. Jack

·
Registered
425 Posts
Brian,

I've recently purchased an N-103 as well and have been looking at the J&M 584 clampless headset made for this model helmet. The cheapest I've found the headset for was 189 at Competition Accessories: http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm?cid=1106004&pid=20188

I have spoken with an installer about installing this model and they said it is really straigt forward since the speaker cutouts are already in the foam of the N-103 helmet. You basically have to drill one hole in the area underneath the N-com cover and push the wires behind the padding.

I haven't ordered a headset for mine yet primarily since I'm not 100% sure I want to keep the helmet (very noisy). I've installed the thicker ear pads and that seems like it might help, but I'm looking forward to a longer ride to really confirm and compare the sound levels (I hate ear plugs).

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have the Nolan N42 and the J&M 584 series headset. I love the combination. Wingstuff did the install was top notch... the only thing I did not like about the whole deal is that it took Wingstuff 3 weeks to get it to me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
N-42 self install

I installed my J&M integrated headset myself and it was very easy and looks perfect. All you need is a utility knife and a dremel tool. The instructions from J&M are very detailed. It''l take less than an hour and you keep to keep a lot of your $$$.

LDM

·
Registered
801 Posts
I bought a Nolan N102 for myself and a N42 for my wife from J&M and had them install the headsets before they shipped them. I'm not sure how they do it; but the earpieces fits EXACTLY where my wife and my ears go. Couldn't be happier. Not to say others couldn't do as well; but that's my experience.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also installed a few headsets myself, and it REALLY is not that difficult, Brian...just take apart an old helmet and see...so easy even a cavewoman can do it...:roll: :22yikes: :lol: :lol:
Hey Bev...

On my old helmet with the clamp-on boom, I had all sorts of headaches getting it all fitted properly..., so with the N103, where you actually have to cut and drill, I'd just as soon get it done by a pro.:lol:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought my Nolan helmets with pre-installed J&M headsets from J&M. They do fine work and they have excellent customer service.
That's been my first choice, but I've also contacted Sierra to see if the do installs.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 24 Posts