GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there know how to find a dealer locator for Nolan Helmets.....

Or anyone in the Baton Rouge, La area know where they sell them locally? I want to order one from J&M with the integrated headsets.....but I want to be sure I get the right size. I would like to find a local dealer that sells them and try one on......then order from J&M with the comm system installed in it.

I currently wear a Shoel RF1000 XL.......fits perfectly.......anyone out there have a comparison in the way these two helmets fit?

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nolan Helmet

I have worn the Shoei Synchrotech Helmet for 3 years and love it. My girlfriend wanted a larger helmet so I ordered the Nolan 102 at about 1/2 price of the Shoei. In my opinion you get what you pay for. The Nolan is about 1/2 as good as the Shoei. The Nolan feels flimsy and weak in construction compared to the Shoei. Also, it allows a lot more wind noise.
I ordered my Nolan from Helmet City....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well.....I guess what I am looking for is a good helmet with the comm system installed.

I tried to install Edsets in my Shoei and was not happy with them at all. Did not fit right.....did not sound well at all. I ended up sending my helmet back to Shoei to have the chinbar replaced.

I was going to order the Helmet directly from J&M.

Any recommendations?????

RRP

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have a Full Face Shoei XL - Fits good.

I have a Nolan H102 XL - Fits good.

Would have to say the size is really close to the same in either helmet. Carol wears a Medium in both brands.

The Nolan was straight out of J&M with the clamp less headset. I like that arrangement a lot better than the clamped headsets - the clamps used to hang up on my jacket collar and be really annoying.

I tried a Shoei Modular, but did not work for me - chin was too close to the chin bar. Did not have that problem with the Full Face Shoei. The Nolan Modular will be a little noisier than the Full Face models, just because there are more openings to leak air when you can move the chin bar up and down.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have both a Shoei and the Nolan 102 (w/Edsets). For me the helmet of choice between the two is the Nolan. The comfort and ease of use for me outweigh the little bit of noise. I think that the sizing runs pretty true. I couldn't find a local Nolan dealer, so tried on an HJC and Shoei, then ordered the Nolan from Hal. The Edset install was simple because of the ease of pad removal in the Nolan. JMHO

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have two Nolans in an open face and a flip front full face. Both helmets are very noisy!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Order what size helemet you think will fit. If it does not fit send it back and try another. Once you get the correct fir install the headset yourself, real easy if you use a dremel tool and take your time. My N102 uses a boom mic so I did not have to attach anything to the flip part. I am pleased with my N102, before I used an N100, which I still have. As far as noise is concerned it's a motorcycle and I don't notice anything terrible about it, maybe a little wind but that's it. Also the price is right, I paid 220.00 for my 102 from Helmetcity.com.

Good luck.

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I was down at Air Rider headquarters getting my headset and cords replaced - the very nice lady there said that they recommend using a baseball in the forehead area as the Nolans tend to run a little to "round" for most heads.

Mean- put the baseball in the palm of your hand and roll along the area affecting the forehead.

I had problems with some fit when switching from HJC to Nolan modular (got from Hal).

Would also say that I had to start wearing ear plugs with the Nolan (plus switched from Tulsa to Wind Bender windshield).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Einzig said:
When I was down at Air Rider headquarters getting my headset and cords replaced - the very nice lady there said that they recommend using a baseball in the forehead area as the Nolans tend to run a little to "round" for most heads.

Mean- put the baseball in the palm of your hand and roll along the area affecting the forehead.

I had problems with some fit when switching from HJC to Nolan modular (got from Hal).

Would also say that I had to start wearing ear plugs with the Nolan (plus switched from Tulsa to Wind Bender windshield).
Please clarify what you mean by the switch to the wind bender. Did the windbender cause more noise than the tulsa or did it help?
I hate the Nolan wind noise, also the round shape doesn't fit my round noggin. I will try the base ball trick. I hate to give up my nolan for one reason only. I like to use the external lip down sunshieldas a visor since I painted it flat black.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Due to being ambushed by a crazed kamikaze deer, I replaced the Tulsa with the Wind Bender AND HJC Modular to Nolan Modular.

The end result has been more wind noise. Wouldn't be fair to sit blame on one or the other for sure. This is obviously worse above 70 mph while making time on super slab. I don't do a lot of riding there and looking over the windshield in curves & challenging riding is better for me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info............

Are there any other full face helmets out there with fully removable liner as the Nolan has?

RRP

·
Registered
652 Posts
One thing I can say about the removable liner in the Nolan is it is not very good. I am probably goingto try to find a replacement liner for mine before next year. It is getting stretched out of shape and seems to always want to fold over right at the forehead where the helmet is too tight for me anyway. It seems to me it always smells much sweatier than my Arai or my Schuberth ever did. You wash it, ride for a couple of hour and it smells bad already. I am not an axtra sweaty person either.
The only thing that kept me sane on the cross country trip this summer was the sound isolting earplugs. This sucker is noisy!! Mine is an N100E. Not the newest one.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Are there any other full face helmets out there with fully removable liner as the Nolan has?
HJC Symax does. In and out is a snap. And I agree with the above post on the Nolan.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Look at Nolans websirte and their dealer list and contqact some in your area to see if they stock different sizes, try them on, then call Hal's guys and order one. I gotmine from the boards store for $229.99 delivered qand that price cant be beat by anyone!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KCButch said:
Look at Nolans websirte and their dealer list and contqact some in your area to see if they stock different sizes, try them on, then call Hal's guys and order one. I gotmine from the boards store for $229.99 delivered qand that price cant be beat by anyone!
I have looked at Nolan's site.......cannot find a dealer locator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts