GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
Nolans did not fit me well. Apparently you need a round head to wear one. I guess I have a different shape (not sure what). I suggest you try one on and walk around the store for awhile to see if it has any spots that irritate you.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ditto for me. I've got an Arai 3/4 that fits great but wanted a modular. I had heard good things and went to get one but it just didn't fit my punkin head. I wound up with a Shoei Multitec that fits great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is my second nolan, the first was an x-lite. now have the 103 and it is a great helmet, fits better that my first.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I have the brand new "square" helmet. It fits me perfectly. I also use the new elastic tape measure to measure my waist. It is far easier to use and more accurate.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So far, I love mine. Put my EdSets in and they fit perfectly! I had an HJC CL-max before, and the ear pockets just didn't line up with my ears. The pockets in the Nolan line up perfectly. I now have awesome sound!!! I've already used the internal sunshield several times, and really prefer the wratcheting strap lock to the D-rings (they always got loose). Anti fog shield worked flawlessly yesterday (39 & raining :-(). The venting is great - I could actually feel a breeze over the top & back of my head! Couldn't feel a thing with the HJC.

But as others have said, every head shape is different so the same helmet will feel different on every head. Go try different ones on and make your choice from there.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I have had Nolan helmets in the past (and still do). I would say if your hearing is not very good, you would probably find them to be OK. However, if your hearing is good, you will probably find them too loud and need to wear ear protection. Loudest helmets I have owned.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the N-102 w/the headset. I like it fine, and have just started wearing a helmet, more on a regular basis. My wife likes hers, better than the 3/4 she had before.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have a new Nolan 103 modular. It is just as noisy as the others. Seems to have a bit more foam filler too, just a bit smaller than the same size two years ago.

It hurts my ears, so I have been messing with it doing this and that, even sprung it apart on the bottom and left a 2 by 4 holding the bottom cheek sections sprung apart, a bit. I may still have to remove more of the foam .
Rest of it fits well, perfect in fact, just that my old one and new one is different, and more foam in the ear section. What was the size is now not the size and if you go one size bigger the helmet is loose, that is not good, could be my ears grew, or my head has became square. :joke:

Have a problem with the cheek pieces already too, they have three snaps, two of which fit into the fasteners secured in the foam, the third fitting into the plastic ring that is attached to the bottom of the helmet, those will not stay snapped for more than two minutes. Seems the snap has to hold the cheek piece and the neck protector and just not enough open part on the snap to fully penetrate the ring and open up to secure.

Planning on dropping them a note about this , see if they can come up with a solution.

Good helmet though, just a few bugs with the thing. May end up using gorilla glue and tape like on my last one.

Kit

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the N-102 and my wife has a new N-103. Both using the J&M Elite series headsets and we both like the helmets fine. Whatever you decide on, check pricing on-line as you can can save mucho dinero. Good luck --NN

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I bought a new Nolan N103 while in Daytona for Bike Week. Bought the helmet and IMC headset from the The Helmet Shop. Great Guys!!

They shipped my HJC Symax back home for me, FREE, and I rode home wearing the Nolan. My HJC was a XXL but in the Nolan I was able to go down in size to a L. That's right, down 2 sizes, which proves you really need to try on helmets before you buy them!!!

The helmet was tight at first buy after two full days of riding it felt a whole lot better. The IMC headset works great and sound was much better than my J&M's in the HJC Symax. Not sure if it is a headset, helmet, installation, or fit that makes the difference. Likely a combination of several factors.

I didn't notice any difference in air flow within the helmet but this could be due to the fact that the wing blocks a lot of air with the windshield.

The internal sun shield is a great idea and I'm sure others will duplicate. The HJC Symax II also has this option. Would recommend not getting a helmet without it.

A friend with me bought the Nolan N103 with the Bluetooth setup but I couldn't justify paying an additional $300. Could buy two helmets for the price of a Bluetooth device. My IMC headset was only $80, and that's installed.

Now I need to figure out a way of connecting my cell phone to the wing's intercom system without spending a fortune.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought new black 103's to go with my new Black Airbag. They are great. I had to go up a size from the 100E's that we'd been using.

As for the cell phone interface. I tried several of the cheaper things and none of them worked. I installed the J&M on my new bike and it works great. Installation is not hard, but there's not a lot of room under the left side pocket so you have to cram it in there. The problem with the cheap units is that you can hear okay, but the other party can't hear you. The J&M must have a good mic amp in the circuit. It rings through the intercom and you just flip a switch and start talking. The switch turns all the other stuff (radio, nav, etc...) off while you're on the phone.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am considering a system from Kennedy but still comparing and shopping. It's hard to justify spending $200-$400 dollars on an interface system for a cell phone to the Goldwing's intercom system. In my opinon, there is just not that much cost in the components to build a system. Almost getting to where it pays to just buy a Zumo 550 GPS, at least then I have something I can use in my 4 wheel vehicles.

If the AUX input was a two way setup (input and output) then you could simply plug a cell phone into it and it would work through the helmet headset just as the ear buds hands-free sets work. In order to convert the AUX into a two way setup doesn't sound that far fetched, or expensive.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Me neither. Haven't heard of any problems with them on the GL1800's.
If there are problems, then hopefully someone will speak up, cause I haven't read about it on this site.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I purchased a Large N-103 with J&M headset installed. Felt really tight when I put it on. Cheek pads so tight there was no way I could use it. Called Nolan and they exchanged the cheek pads and provided me with the XXL size. With the smaller cheek pads installed, the fit was much better - fine at the cheeks yet still very tight everywhere else. Yesterday I wore it for about five hours and today for a few more hours. It is starting to fit just right. In fact, it is almost a perfect fit. The speakers line up perfectly with my ears and are very close to them. The sound is GREAT.

I'm very pleased with my Nolan N-103.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just finished installing a kennedy unit for my zumo 550 so far all works ok not hard to install all plug abd play just not lots of room under the fairing pocket. have to get out on the main road to test the cell phone - no service hear and too much ice to ride the bike- not expecting any problems however

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yo...Yo....
The pads they sent you are from a XXL helmet and they fit into your L helmet? Are the pads from the XXL that much smaller?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
What prices are you finding the N103 for? Best I've seen is $299.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts