GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys and Gals........

Im bout to need to cut bait or fish.....on buyin this helmet...........need to stop thinkin bout it or do it.

One last question...........

I really like the integration of the J&M 854 Headsets into the Nolan NCOM N102. This would be my first choice.....provided the sound quality is there.

My second choice would be the upgraded Edsets in the Nolan N102. For those of you that have installed headsets in this helmet.....how difficult was the install.

For what its worth.....I am a sound quality junkie. I have been riding with earbuds since I got my Wing about a year and a half ago. I do not mind spending the money for the J&M setup if the quality is there.

I have tried the older style Edsets and did not care for them. However....I am thinking it was due to speaker placement. I hav also tried the Hondaline Units.....made by J&M.....again....a speaker placement issue. I was trying to to get these installed in a Shoei RF1000....I do not have a lot of room to play around with in this helmet. I have cut holes in it to install the headsets.....and set it back to Shoei to have the chinbar replaced. From what I can tell the Nolan is more suited to having a headset installed in it.

For those of you that have experience with these setups.....how would the J&M 854's compare to the earbud setup?

Also.....comparing the J&M's to the Edsets. Am I better of just getting the Nolan......putting the edsets......and unsing it when I am riding with a group.....and use my Shoei when I want to listen to music?

I promise I am not gonna bug you guys with this anymore......:)

Any info would be appreciated.

Ron

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Ron,

Good luck on finding the answer about the "Best", or better yet, the "Best Available".

Helmet, windshield, wind-wings, speed and environment are all big players in the perception of best, good, acceptable.

Riding an open air machine at 80 mph on a windy day can be daunting to those little speakers to deliver.

100% PERFECT PLACEMENT IN THE HELMET INSTALLATION IS JUST ABOUT AS BIG OF A DEAL.

If you are expecting clarity, depth and symphony quality, you probably are not going to get it.

I guess "Best" is obtainable, but I doubt that "Perfection" is a player in this mix.

Bulldog

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
wasn't there a link posted that someone had a device that allowed you to use you headset mic but use ear buds????? had a woman's name or something like it...or hearthis or something like that...

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
KYBLUE said:
wasn't there a link posted that someone had a device that allowed you to use you headset mic but use ear buds????? had a woman's name or something like it...or hearthis or something like that...
Ed Sets has an adaptor that allows you to use earbuds. Ear Buddy
http://edsets.com/products.php?category_id=62

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys............

Bulldog........

Not expecting symphony quality by an means. You are correct in that the environment these headsets are expected to perform in is far from ideal.

However....If I could get as close to the performance of my earbuds.....with an in helmet headset....I would be a happy camper.

I have seen the helmet buddy.....my only concern is taking 15 mns to get everything hooked up when mounting the bike. Also the excess wires dangling everywhere. I will keep it open as an option though.

I wish J&M would have a dealer network with these helmets on hand for folks to try. Would make my decision much easier.

Thanks Guys

RRP

·
Registered
68 Posts
And the earplugs to use with your EDSETS ear buddy are the Challenger (M) custom earplugs. just google challenger earplugs. Wife and I have this set up we put the volume at 3 for highway speeds and the 25+dB reduction of road noise is just wonderful

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the N102 and Edsets. I also have tin ears, but do like the sound quality. The install took about a half hour for novice. I replaced a Shoei with a set of J&M's. I prefer the sound of the Edsets over my older J&Ms

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I bought my wife the 102 and put in the J&M headset we already had. She is not an audiophile by any means ( I sorta am however). She is pleased with the sound we get. We listen to music a lot on the wing.

The J&M speakers fit nicely inthe opening inthe 102. A bit tight really so there is no room for alignment. I have not heard the sound from her helmet myself so I can't tell if the placement is ideal. I think I am going to the Edsets and see wht they are like. Mainly because I hate "the clamp" I'm excited about how the improved Edset speakers will sound.

I use the Nolan N42 which has an entirely different interior, and requires the foam be cut away to hold the speakers......does allow for good alignment this way.....does take some time though!

Let us know which way you go and do give a review when you get it installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts