GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you with the new Nolan N103, installed Edsets in them? If so, how easy was the install and how well do they work?

Thanks in advance!:lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have two Nolan 103's with Edsets installed by myself. Originally bought mics for front of helmet then found out with the green visor next to impossible to install so put in boom mics. There are cut outs in ear pieces, and along bottom of helmet for the dongle and a clip on the side to hold the boom in place. After I decided to go with the boom system took all of 10 minutes each to install. Clean the attachment area good with the 3M 94 cleaner and use the industrial strength pin lock velcro from 3M and all is good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that helps. Did you use the G2 or G3 setup?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Glad to know these helmets are made for headsets. I'll be putting my current EdSets in my new N-103......as soon as I get it. Ordered on 2/5 and still don't have it :( :roll::wrong:

·
Registered
113 Posts
G2, Had them available from earlier helmets. Think the G3 are more current. Check with Edsets for the difference.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well, I finally got my N-103 today and immediately installed my Edsets (standard w/dongle).

WOW! I finally have bass!!!!! :thumbup:

What a difference it makes to have the speakers/ear pockets in the right place!

I took the ear speakers out of the pockets provided by Edsets and pressed them into the recessed areas of hard foam in the helmet. This worked perfectly - the recesses were the perfect size :clap2:

Can't wait to get out and take a ride!:excited:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Luna,

What type of mic did you go with? If you remove the compartment door, can the unit that mounts to the helmet fit in the compartment where the Nolan electronics would go ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Luna,

What type of mic did you go with? If you remove the compartment door, can the unit that mounts to the helmet fit in the compartment where the Nolan electronics would go ?
Jim,

I have the 2G unit with a boom mic which has no modular component to fit in the N-com space. Everything is tucked between the liner and the hard foam on the INSIDE of the helmet (whereas the N-com pocket is on the outside).

The only problem I'm having is the size of the windsock on the mike being too big for the space between my jaw/chin and the chin bar of the helmet. I might have to shave it down, get a smaller one, or try going without it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I BUY THE NOLAN NCOM 3 WITH BUILT IN COMM WILL IT BE A COMPLETE UNIT?

THANKS GUYS

·
Registered
164 Posts
If I BUY THE NOLAN NCOM 3 WITH BUILT IN COMM WILL IT BE A COMPLETE UNIT?

THANKS GUYS
I bought an N-103 from Sierra all set up with a J&M Elite setup - plug and play except that like most, I'm having trouble with the amount of space for the microphone between your mouth and the chin bar.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mic for N103

Previously installed EdSet w/boom mic on my N102 a couple of years ago, but the mic got in the way so I switched to the mic that goes on the chin bar. That worked just fine, except for the wires going into the front of the helmet. I could live with that, but it was a bit annoying.

Now have the N103 and noodling what kind of mic to order. I will probably go with the G2 setup, but seems there is a downside to both surface mount and boom mic. Seems like there is even less room in the front of the N103 than the N102 (I wish they would have just updated the Nolan Trend - most comfortable and roomy and well ventilated for me).

Since the dropdown sunshade interferes with the mic wiring, it would seem that the boom might be a better choice. Has anyone come up with a solution?

Speaking of the sunshade (VPS), mine just touches the bridge of my nose. I don't see any method of adjustment in the sorry owner's manual. Maybe only way to solve this annoyance is to do some surgery on the shade :shrug:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Since the dropdown sunshade interferes with the mic wiring, it would seem that the boom might be a better choice. Has anyone come up with a solution?
I found the easiest way to overcome the crowding (J&M Elite) was to hollow out some styrofoam from the insiode of the chinbar. It isn't very pretty, but it does provide enough room for the mic and boom to keep away from your face. Also, with this indent, whenever I raise or lower the chinbar, the mic just slips in and out nicely. Alkso keeps the mic in place when the chinbar is down.

Speaking of the sunshade (VPS), mine just touches the bridge of my nose. I don't see any method of adjustment in the sorry owner's manual. Maybe only way to solve this annoyance is to do some surgery on the shade :shrug:
I had a similar problem, but found that if I just tilted/rotated the helmet back on my hear bu a couple of millimeters, the propblem with hitting my nose went away. It doesn't take much..., just a tiny movement.

·
Registered
430 Posts
EdSets/Sunshade

Thanks Brian,

I just ordered another EdSet for my new helmet. Tab mount boom. I'll either do some 'surgery' on the chinbar liner or try the hot spoon trick or a bit of both. Don't care that much about the appearance of the interior, especially since I'm more of a fan of function over form.

As far as the sunshade goes, I did the 'push the helmet back' this weekend on a ride. I do a lot of long distance touring and constantly pushing the helmet up would probably drive me bonkers. Also tried moving the slide back a bit, but it would just go back forward. Maybe I can figure out a way to prevent the slide from coming all the way forward.

Funny how most items evolve into 'new and improved' but we always find a way to further tweek and 'improve' to fit our personal needs.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Funny how most items evolve into 'new and improved' but we always find a way to further tweek and 'improve' to fit our personal needs.
Or, "new and improved"..., but not for ME! :shrug:

:lol::lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
It would appear that you could cut a piece of rubber to fit in the slot where the sun shield comes down to hold it from coming down so far. If that works then glue it in place.

John

·
Registered
430 Posts
It would appear that you could cut a piece of rubber to fit in the slot where the sun shield comes down to hold it from coming down so far. If that works then glue it in place.

John
Great idea!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts