GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l don't usually have too much trouble with mekanikle thangs, but this dang shield has me stumped. l've got the visor off, but can't understand the vague instructions for removal of the shield itself.
Would someone clarify with some simple instructions? l'd sure appreciate it.
My next step is to see how long it will hold up under the rear wheels of my dually!! Maybe the shield will come off then. :drive1: :eek:4:

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it is a Nolan N41 you have to unscrew the two brass pins then the shield will come of and the plastic piece will snap out ,you have to slide that piece back once the shield is off and ithe plastic oiece will come out . I just went through the same thing on mine when I put on the tinted shields. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kenworth...

I think that will help me, l see an allen head screw on each side. I feel sure that's it after reading your response. Guess l was too busy trying to decipher the booklet instructions. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Thanks

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Ihave two and never unscrewed any screws.

Take the visor off,move the shield all the way up, should be a release lever on the sided of the shield,puss them in and the shield =should release.

please excure my typing, this damm space bar is sticking at work, POS....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KYBLUE said:
Ihave two and never unscrewed any screws.

Take the visor off,move the shield all the way up, should be a release lever on the sided of the shield,puss them in and the shield =should release.

please excure my typing, this damm space bar is sticking at work, POS....
That's what l thought from looking at the instructions. However, no amount of pushing, prying, lifting, twisting or swearing gets it off that way.
Maybe there are different versions of the N-41?
Thanks tho for your input.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kenworth said:
If it is a Nolan N41 you have to unscrew the two brass pins then the shield will come of and the plastic piece will snap out ,you have to slide that piece back once the shield is off and ithe plastic oiece will come out . I just went through the same thing on mine when I put on the tinted shields. I hope this helps.
Just tried this method, works like a charm. Course now l may need a new shield. :oops:
Thanks Kenworth.

·
Registered
578 Posts
No tools necessary to change the shield---Those shields sure do scratch easily---, but, I love my N41.

You just need to build up the muscles in your thumbs to slide the releases.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrenched said:
No tools necessary to change the shield---Those shields sure do scratch easily---, but, I love my N41.

You just need to build up the muscles in your thumbs to slide the releases.
I could find no way to get mine off without removing the two allen head screws. I guess if they weren't too tight they could be removed with fingers. But l feel l'd want mine a little more than finger tight. You're right about the scratching.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Folks, I stand corrected...

l did figure out how to remove the shield w/out taking the pins out. l understand the drawing in the instruction book now also. After pushing the sliding bar forward l had to use something to get under the rear portion of the shield and lift it up, it comes right off then. It is a bit of a hassle to deal with, but l learned something new.
Thanks to all that responded, and APOLOGIES to anyone l may have offended in the thread. l don't think l said anything out of the way, but was just trying to say at the time that l couldn't do it. (Express my ignorance in the matter) :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
582 Posts
May I ask where you got the new shield and how much it was?

I'm in need of a new one myself...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
goldwingnut said:
May I ask where you got the new shield and how much it was?

I'm in need of a new one myself...
Sorry, I can't help. I just removed mine to try and polish out some minor scratches.
Be nice if some one could provide us that info, may need it later myself.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
RideGear.com has several different shades of replacement shields for the N-41. I have a dark smoke and the blue mirror. They made a mistake on the orice of the blue mirror one web site said $21.95, but it was actually $41.95. They gave it to me for $21.95, but I did have to talk to management on the phone. Anyway they have a lot of replacement shields.
Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts