GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my 5 year Nolan 102 with J&M 584 headset. I use an Edset earbud adapter and a nice pair of Sony earbuds for audio. I like the earbuds much better for audio fidelity as well as wind noise reduction and plan to continue using earbuds.

I'm looking at a Nolan N90 with the N-com headset that is Goldwing specific. Price on it is about $350 total.

I've also tried a Scorpion EXO 900 and like it as well with a J&M headset. Price on it is about $435

Since I use earbuds, the headset audio quality is not as important to get the top of the line J&M headset.

Two questions - anyone have experience with one or both helmets?
anyone have expereince with the N-com system for the Nolan helmets?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am running the Scorpion EXO 900 with the Victory headset and I love it. My wife runs the same helmet with the J&M audio Elite 629 on her Goldwing and she loves it as well. JMHO
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I love my EXO-400 helmet. Nice interior, good fit, fairly quiet. Could use better venting. I'll bet your 900 has the same neutral to longish shape. Nolans, I believe, have a more rounded internal shape. One or the other will probably fit you much better. I know my Fuel brand helmet is so round I just don't like to wear it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I just bought a 2nd EXO900 to use on my C14. I bought it from J&M with the performance headset installed. I like these helmets a lot or I would have gone back to Shoei. The headset installation and sound is great. The venting works well but is slightly noisy. Otherwise the helmet is very quiet for a modular. The fog free shields work well and I like the drop down sun visor.

Try your helmet choices on for at least 20 minutes before buying one.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I just got the Nolan Trilogy with removeable chin and the j&m 279 series audio with 55mm speakers. For the first time in over 200,000 wing miles, I prefer the helmet audio over the bike's speakers and am now enjoying more bass inside the helmet than I thought possible without doing crazy mods.

For what it is worth.

I have the Nolan and 3 Scorpions

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
We got the Scorpion with the removable chin bar from J&M with premium headsets in June. Not only did they keep the sand out of my face during a sand storm a couple days later in norther AZ but I can finally hear the wife on intercom and music at volume 20 instead of 30. It is a quiet helmet. I also like the flip down sunvisor alot. BB

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've used the Nolan N102 with J&M headsets for three years now and am really satisfied. About a year ago, I had a lower cord go bad and got reception in only one ear. It was out of warranty by about 3 months or so; but J&M sent me a new one for the cost of shipping. I'm happy. I don't know what the Nolan replacement is for the N102 because I don't think they make that anymore.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use the N90 with Edsets and love the combiantion. Also it is the 1st modular helmet that affords additional chin room so that the boom mike doesn't rest on my mouth. I always wanted to get the scorpion but couldn't get a good fit for head where as the Nolan fits great for me (must be cause I'm Italian!)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have two N43 Nolan Helmets since July of 2010. The helmets are comfortable and the sunscreen and face shield work very well. We also have the Gold Wing specific headsets in each helmet. The headsets have been troublesome from the beginning. The sound is good and the microphone works fine as long as the cord from the helmet to the bike is working properly. I have had six cords so far and five have become defective within a few days of receiving replacements. One or both earphones stop working and/or the mike stops working. The system also develops a loud squeal when the intercom is on and you move your head (the plug in the helmet starts to pull out and that causes the squeal) they do not attempt to fix that but suggest it is the way you have plugged it in.
Cima International (Nolan distributor) has been very good about testing both helmets and sending replacement cords at no cost when the earphones and /or mike stop working, however, I was without the helmets and the use of the helmets/headsets as I waited for the testing and shipment of the helmets and the cords. The last cord took over one month to get replaced because they were out of stock.
I am told that they are waiting for a redesign of the cable but do not know when that will happen.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for the Nolan N-com system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts