GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Got my bike pinstriped by TJ & The Boss at a local rally last weekend.

His instructions say to wait a few days until the paint fully cures and then protect it with a coat of non-abrasive wax.

I thought all car wax was abraisive to some degree.

What should I use? Does "Mothers" or someone similar make a non-abrasive wax suitable for this use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Wax is wax. The painter must have been talking about polish/wax combination products.I would wait at least a month.

All,

Got my bike pinstriped by TJ & The Boss at a local rally last weekend.

His instructions say to wait a few days until the paint fully cures and then protect it with a coat of non-abrasive wax.

I thought all car wax was abraisive to some degree.

What should I use? Does "Mothers" or someone similar make a non-abrasive wax suitable for this use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Nothing better for your 'Wing than the Honda Polish, IMHO.

·
Registered
336 Posts
wax/fresh paint

I would be VERY careful about putting any type of "wax" over fresh paint. I am an "old school" painter and even with the 2 part products I still advise customers to wait 60-90 days before applying anything that could "seal" the surface. I use a "mist and wipe" detailer on the fresh paintjobs, but be sure whatever you use it DOES NOT seal the paint and instead, will allow the new paint to "breath". JMHO, others may differ. Hope this helps, Dave

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Heh WingMan 71, let's see some photos!! TJ is great! I had Steve Baller do mine at WingDing '07. Those guys are amazing! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I use Turtle Wax ICE on my custom graphics.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Nothing better for your 'Wing than the Honda Polish, IMHO.
I had my helmet pinstriped last summer and asked what to clean and polish it with and told the striper that I used Honda or now Original cleaner polish on my bike. He said that was the best stuff to use on the helmet and pin striping as well.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heh WingMan 71, let's see some photos!! TJ is great!
Yes, these pinstripers are amazing. They do this stuff freehand like it's nothing, and seem to never make a mistake. Go figure!

I don't have any really good shots of mine out in the bright sunshine yet, but here's a quick one I took in my workshop after we got home from the rally that night.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
One pinstriped to another....CARNAUBA!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I had pin striping done on my 1500 several years ago . At the Riudoso NM rally. The fella that done the pin striping told me to use Hog snot. Had to buy it at Harley Davidson dealer.
thomas

·
Registered
581 Posts
I use Plexus...........

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Rejex is non abrasive, I have even used it on my eyeglasses with good effect.

·
Vendor
17,783 Posts
I use a good quality hand-paste old style wax. Weather you wax it or polish it even with a Honda polish, make sure you always wash it first.

One think I've notice is that the black cherry bikes with lots of chrome don't look as sharp as they used to be and am sure it is from always using Honda polish, built up on Honda polish, built up layes of some dirt from not getting washed first. Some are beginning to look like my moms coffee table with Pledge build up ... dust first, then polish ... or wash first, then polish.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have no idea what kind of paint your pinstriper used...I suspect HE knows what kind of paint so I would follow his advice

Honda polish works well on most anything...actually haven't found an instance where it does NOT work

Conversly....EZ Off oven cleaner will take that pinstriping right off and not harm the paint underneath....this is useful when people trade in their motorcycles and dealers need to make the motorcycle more vanilla to appeal to a greater range of customers....not everyone like particular graphis or stripes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts