GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this has happened to me a few times now on mornings below 30 degrees outside.

Bike is garaged unheated, but gets some from the common wall of the house. So it's not below freezing.

When I hit the starter button the first time, the starter just spins. When it stops, I hit it again, bike cranks right up. Is the "Bendix" sticky, or need lubrication? Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm not worried about being stranded or anything, just curious what others have experienced. And you gotta know it won't ever duplicate at the dealers!

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Never seen that, Chef ... mine takes an extra spin to start in this cold weather (well, ok, it was ONLY 15 degrees this morning) but never fails to catch.
Hmm, where's the emoticon with the icicles hanging from the moustache?
:lol: 8) :lol:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Never had that happen on the 1800 (too new) but did experience that on a old 1200. I changed oil using one qt of Marvel Mystery oil in lieu of a qt of regular oil. Saw the suggestion on a tech board. Changed oil again after a few miles and it cleared right up.

Just a thought

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Chef, I've not had a problem with cold starts either. My garage is seperate from the house, and not heated. The one thing that I do is keep a 100 w light drop cord ,on all the time in the winter, under the bike.Helps keep the moisture down ,and my bike likes the warm feeling it gets on its bottom side :D :D
Mick :yw1:

·
Chard Member
12,966 Posts
Chef.....Have you changed oil in the last 30,000 miles? :D You might want to think about that. :idea: It's probably the recycled 90wt oil you used last time! :(

Good Morning....

(P:S.. Bet you're using synthetic oil!)

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
have started my bike under colder conditions and never had that happen. Have a tractor that used to do that often, sometimes had to tap on the solenoid to get it to work,bought a new solenoid and just set it on the workbench but never installed, that problem has never reoccured since!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Certainly not an oil problem. Cleaning up the starter should help you. It does sound like the bendix is hanging up.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ed Kruse said:
Certainly not an oil problem. Cleaning up the starter should help you. It does sound like the bendix is hanging up.
Does the 1800 have a bendix on its starter? Guess I will have to break the shrink wrap off of my new manual. Was supposed to be a christmas present but it is close enough.

The 1200 starter was direct to an internal gear driving a chain. The chain connected to a "clutch" and that what was not engaging for me. According to the tech board the Marvel Mystery Oil cleaned up the internal mechanism.

Just know that it worked for me.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used "Bendix" as a synonim for the engaging system. Didn't mean to confuse....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The 1800 has a starter clutch, Stu Oltman has said that a possible side effect of an engine oil with moly is starter clutch problems. From what he said, the moly is more likely to cause a starter clutch slip than the transmission clutch. So the question would be: What kind of oil are you using?

I ask that because so many use Mobil 1 15w-50 and the newer Mobil 1 does contain some moly.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Closetchef, the starter clutch isn't grabbing so the starter motor just spins. The big guestion is "WHY" it isn't engaging? The starter clutch is just a "sprag clutch" which is more or less just a bearing that locks up when turned one direction and turns freely if turned the other direction. Sounds like it is gummed up like the 1200's are bad about doing. You are using Amsoil "motorcycle" grade oil aren't you? Are you using 10w40 or 20w50? 20w50 may be to heavy(thick) when cold causing the starter clutch not to engage. Maybe someone else will come up with more idea's.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Amsoil 10w-40 so it shouldn't be the oil, I had forgotten about some getting gummed up like that. With both of those possibilities covered, I don't remember hearing of any other causes, sounds like it's time to go see a dealer.

Don't you just have accessories at your location, no motorcycles or service?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My manual says the problem is with the starter clutch and refers you to section 10. I looked over section 10 really quickly but didn't see any reference to "starter clutch" so my question is: Where is it? Is it really the little gear box on the front of the starter motor? Don't you wish that they had just put a kick starter on the bike so you wouldn't have to worry about problems like this. :drive1:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Motorcycle Boy, No it's not the reducing gears on the starter motor, it's the gear with the sprag clutch, it is the last gear on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
994 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
My manual says the problem is with the starter clutch and refers you to section 10. I looked over section 10 really quickly but didn't see any reference to "starter clutch" so my question is: Where is it? Is it really the little gear box on the front of the starter motor? Don't you wish that they had just put a kick starter on the bike so you wouldn't have to worry about problems like this. :drive1:
Have not cracked open my manual yet but if this is similiar to the 1200 then it is internal and can only be accessed by completly dismantling the engine. The problem with my old 1200 - it was gummed up and sluggish to engage. How to clean it? At the time it was suggested to use Marvel Mystery oil. I did and it worked.

Will Marvel Mystery oil work in this case I do not know but as long as Marvel Mystery oil will not harm an 1800 I say it is worth a try before dismantling.

"Kick starter" ???? Was forced to kick start my 1000 wing once. Would rather push start or call for help. Glad that Honda took that option away from me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts