GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wing had to set since Aug last year and has never done that before It finally got nice weather so I rode a hundred miles When the little red pump came on I stopped and the station had non ethanol fuel so I thought I would try it and see if it helped clean gunky injectors. It was 92 oct and After about 15 miles I cracked the throttle and WOW it likes the non fuel a lot more much more power. I will be interested to see what I get for MPG.

Does anyone use non ethanol fuel regularly?

·
Registered
268 Posts
My brother in law uses it almost exclusively. I can't tell a difference.
We both have 04's, his has 115,000, mine just over 30,000.
Don't know if that makes a difference or not. I wouldn't think it would matter.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I use the none ethanol now & then. It does indeed make the any machine run better. However, it only gives you about 5% more power & economy which equates to about 2 to 3 mpg. In my case I can't justify the cost of that fuel for the 5% increase. If you can get the non ethanol fuel for 5% more money than the the ethanol fuel then it's worth using. I have to pay a lot more so it isn't worth it to me. :serious: :frown2: :surprise:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Fuel injected engines will not show as much improvement as a carb'ed engine. This is because the jets deals with volume and flow, and electronic injection relies on the amount of oxygen left in the exhaust gases. My 1100 ran great on real gas, and just average on ethan-no-no.

It is simply 90% gas that requires a 14:1 A/F ratio, and 10% alco which requires a 6:1 A/F ratio. By my thinking this leaves approx 5% fuel starved. Because on the alco is less volatile.
Ethanol goes bad very quickly, because like brake fluid, the alcohol sucks moisture out of the air, this makes the alcohol worthless for ignition purposes. I have bought container gas for mower or small engine use, and less than a month later it became less combustible than charcoal lighter.

The price difference is arbitrary, they have to make real gas first. Then add the corn squeezins.I have seen real gas anywhere from +.40 to =$1.25 /gal.
When I store my mower and cycle for the winter, I have real gas and Sta-bil in the tank.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I try to run sober gas ll the time. My gas mileage increases greatly with sober gas. If I buy drunk gas, I have to use 89 octane or gas mileage drops from 40+ to low 30's. If it is sober gas, I get great mileage. One day it was prefect riding weather and I had to stop every 100 miles and drain out some sober gas!!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I use it when I can get it for something less than $1 more than the ethanol gas. When visiting our son-in-law near Atlanta we fill up at RaceTrac stations. Most sell non-ethanol gas at the same pump as the ethanol gas. (different hose) I buy it when in Florida for the winter too.
I get much more power and 3-5 more mpg. At RaceTrac pumps it's about $,70 more a gallon.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've noticed on many gas station pumps a sticker saying their fuel MAY contain up to 10% ethanol. How would one know from fill up to fill up if I'm always getting 10% or perhaps less to no ethanol? I have one station close that has a sign out front claiming to have ethanol free premium. I've thought about buying it for my lawn power equipment, but how do I know for sure it is ethanol free and not just a claim? I will say this, for my lawn equipment, I've been just buying the regular ethanol laced gasoline and adding an ethanol "treatment" (Startron) with good results for the past few years.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The nearest chain station around here that sells real gas is "Casey's", but the closest one is about 75 miles away. I have, on occasion tried real gas when on the road, but cannot tell much difference. In one try, last summer on the GW, the MPG actually went down with real gas. So I have long ago just got used to buying whatever is at the pump. We have a riding lawnmower, now on its 20th summer, and it has never seen anything but local gas. In the winter, I leave it setting with whatever gas was in it for the last mowing. Come spring, it has never been a problem to fire up. Not bad for a WalMart Murray. Similar situation with three 1950s-60s Studebaker Hawks, which often sit for several months at a time. This tells me the corn laced gas is not the problem many of us believe it is.

If given a choice, I'd probably use real gas in everything, if not too expensive. But even when available, it is about 20-25 percent more expensive. So I will just stick with whatever the handiest gas station has to offer.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I use nothing but no-E in my lawnmowers, tractor, and stuff to mix 2 stroke fuel like the weedeater, chainsaw and power blower. I find the no-E stores much better in cans and in carbs over the winter months of non-usage, and I don't have to drain anything to get it to run again in the springtime. My new bikes and car, with injection, don't really care what fuel I put in, as long as it's high enough octane to prevent detonation, especially when the weather gets hotter. My old generation 1 carbureted Vmax likes no-E all the time.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have never seen any difference using non ethanol in anything other than small engines with a carburetor. I only use non ethanol in them.

Reactions: weengers and CAWing

·
Registered
575 Posts
One of the nice things about going to Americade is there's a Stewart's gas station down the street from our hotel on Canada Street and I purchase Non Ethanol all week long. The
bikes LOVE this stuff. MPG up about 2-3 MPG all day long.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am lucky to have non-E available at several places.
I run it in every machine except the cars.
I pull a 6' finish mower behind my 1952 Ford 8N tractor. With ethanol gas, I set the throttle WFO, and it's all the old 4-banger side-valve 25HP can do. With non-E gas, I can pull the throttle back to about 85%. This would probably not be noticeable with a high HP engine, but this proves to me that Non-E has more energy. Of course, there are a lot of other benefits too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As long as I keep cruise speed between 65 and 75 I get the same mileage 38-40mpg and same level of performance. Generally two up towing a bushtec. I tried both ways and spending more per gallon doesn't help so I always run 87 octane regular and most miles are west of the Rockies.

·
Registered
657 Posts
pure gas regular all the time unless I can't find it when on the road. 4 miles per gallon more than with the ethanol blended.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using water to remove alcohol, any ethanol that has been contaminated is less explosive. I have had some, that if you pour it on the floor and try to light it, all it does is flicker a sooty flame, no poof. Some a match won't light it, had to use propane torch. By the time you fool around with the water and remove it, then add octane boost, you could have driven somewhere that has real gas. Besides goldwings dont need anything more that 89 octane.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using water to remove alcohol, any ethanol that has been contaminated is less explosive. I have had some, that if you pour it on the floor and try to light it, all it does is flicker a sooty flame, no poof. Some a match won't light it, had to use propane torch. By the time you fool around with the water and remove it, then add octane boost, you could have driven somewhere that has real gas. Besides goldwings dont need anything more that 89 octane.
Wings run fine on 87 octane regular unleaded fuel.

:doorag:

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
I've noticed on many gas station pumps a sticker saying their fuel MAY contain up to 10% ethanol. How would one know from fill up to fill up if I'm always getting 10% or perhaps less to no ethanol? I have one station close that has a sign out front claiming to have ethanol free premium. I've thought about buying it for my lawn power equipment, but how do I know for sure it is ethanol free and not just a claim? I will say this, for my lawn equipment, I've been just buying the regular ethanol laced gasoline and adding an ethanol "treatment" (Startron) with good results for the past few years.
JUST TAKE A SMALL "SIP" IT'LL BE BITTER AND HAVE SOME " BITE TO IT " ! :surprise::wink2::laugh: THE CORN DOES IT .

Reactions: Pooch

·
Registered
218 Posts
I’m too stupid to know the difference. Thanks to the ones that know better for enlightening me. Elwood, I love the Sig Pic. I remember the good ol days when my wife looked just like that. I know the rest of you saw that picture too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts