GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to get bike to bike communications set up so my wife and I can communicate while riding. CB is kind of a requirement since I will also want to talk to other wingers on local rides.

I can probably outfit both bikes with a CB for the cost of Honda CB alone.

Anyone regret a decision to go this way?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
This will work for you, if this is what you want.
If it were me I go with the Honda CB.
I've never regretted it.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biker John said:
This will work for you, if this is what you want.
If it were me I go with the Honda CB.
I've never regretted it.
I am pretty sure I wouldn't regret a Honda CB cept paying for it. LOL

Trying to get a handle on the other option.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Having the OEM CB has been great - except when buying it. Its a bunch of money, but if you are keeping the bike a long time......your call.

If price is a big issue, Midland makes a portable unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter - model 75-822 - and also make a plug in headset and mic with push-to-talk on the cord. I have one of these things that I put on other bikes that have no CB, and works pretty well. Even comes with a little rubber ducky antenna. You can find them on ebay for about $75 and the headset for another $20.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a radio shack adapted to my 1500 and now I have one on my 1800. I ride with several that have the factory cb and no one complains about hearing me and I hear them great. No regrets for me.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would have the Honda unit if it didn't cost more than $300. Even then, it is a premium price.

I have hand held CBs that I can use with an earplug and if I need to talk on the thing, I can use a remote microphone.

The price on the Honda CB is outrageous.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
volcycle said:
I had a radio shack adapted to my 1500 and now I have one on my 1800. I ride with several that have the factory cb and no one complains about hearing me and I hear them great. No regrets for me.
I also integrated a RS CB to the intercom system, relocated some of the controls to work with the OEM switches and extended the channel indicator display.

For as seldom as I ride in groups, it works adequately.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I fought buying a Honda CB for years. I too hate getting ripped. Tried FSR. These would be fine if they were integrated into the system but too may wires and to few other using them. Bought one of the Midland handhelds. Works okay if you ad a full antennae. The rubber ducky won't cut it. But again too many wires. Finally broke down and bought a new Honda CB for $550. Should have done this from the get go like others recommended but I am a hard head and have to try it my way first. The aggravation factor alone is probably worth the extra $300 and I know I spent that much or more trying to get the other stuff to work. I transferred the Midland to my daughters VLX so not a total loss.

It would be quite simple and inexpensive for Bike Manufacturers to integrate FSRs into all road bikes with current technology.. Don't know why they don't. Would just be a matter of time before communication would be as common as electric starters are today. I still remember when they came out. No real biker would have one. LOL

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jon said:
volcycle said:
I also integrated a RS CB to the intercom system, relocated some of the controls to work with the OEM switches and extended the channel indicator display.

For as seldom as I ride in groups, it works adequately.
That sounds like way more work than I would care to take on, especially right now. Good to know it can be done. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Terpen said:
I fought buying a Honda CB for years. I too hate getting ripped. Tried FSR. These would be fine if they were integrated into the system but too may wires and to few other using them. Bought one of the Midland handhelds. Works okay if you ad a full antennae. The rubber ducky won't cut it. But again too many wires. Finally broke down and bought a new Honda CB for $550. Should have done this from the get go like others recommended but I am a hard head and have to try it my way first. The aggravation factor alone is probably worth the extra $300 and I know I spent that much or more trying to get the other stuff to work. I transferred the Midland to my daughters VLX so not a total loss.

It would be quite simple and inexpensive for Bike Manufacturers to integrate FSRs into all road bikes with current technology.. Don't know why they don't. Would just be a matter of time before communication would be as common as electric starters are today. I still remember when they came out. No real biker would have one. LOL
Thanks for your input. So far you seem to be only one that went over the Honda from handhelds. Still not sure which way to go. Wife won't be riding much more this season if at all so I have a whole long winter to ponder the choices.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
IR Harry said:
Having the OEM CB has been great - except when buying it. Its a bunch of money, but if you are keeping the bike a long time......your call.

If price is a big issue, Midland makes a portable unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter - model 75-822 - and also make a plug in headset and mic with push-to-talk on the cord. I have one of these things that I put on other bikes that have no CB, and works pretty well. Even comes with a little rubber ducky antenna. You can find them on ebay for about $75 and the headset for another $20.

Two of my riding buddies have this Midland setup, not on Wings. The wind noise above 60 mph is a real problem and makes it mostly impossible to communicate. One of these radios died on our last ride (IBA SS1000) but given it was on a H-D Springer, we shouldn't have expected it to hold out for very long in the first place. :oops:

In its defense, they are a handy size so they fit most anywhere, and their controls are simple and can be adjusted with most any non-winter glove.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Has anyone ever reverse engineered (taken it apart and examined the circuitry) a honda OEM CB to see what modifications to a standard CB exist in the OEM version? I am certain there is a standard CB at the guts of the OEM version, with some special circuitry adapted specifically for the wing. It would be interesting to see if there is anyway to retrofit a standard CB.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I am sure there is. How much is it worth to save a couple of hundred bucks?

·
Registered
377 Posts
This spring I worked a lot of overtime and I decide to put bike to bike comm on our bikes. It was a no-brainer for me to spend the money on the fully intergrated OEM CB, even tho it may not be, of the highest quality. I ended up putting the J&M CB on my wife's Boulevard and it's not a bad choice, especcially considering that it was designed for use on a bike. Both radios are right for the applications I have them in.
I almost bought J&M's for both but, after the fact, I'm sure I made the correct decision to buy the Honda CB for the Wing. Doesn't seem to be a big difference in distance we can reach but, the Honda's sound quality and integration make it the winner, FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ylwng2001 said:
This spring I worked a lot of overtime and I decide to put bike to bike comm on our bikes. It was a no-brainer for me to spend the money on the fully intergrated OEM CB, even tho it may not be, of the highest quality. I ended up putting the J&M CB on my wife's Boulevard and it's not a bad choice, especcially considering that it was designed for use on a bike. Both radios are right for the applications I have them in.
I almost bought J&M's for both but, after the fact, I'm sure I made the correct decision to buy the Honda CB for the Wing. Doesn't seem to be a big difference in distance we can reach but, the Honda's sound quality and integration make it the winner, FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!
Good info there, thanks.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I purchased a J&M for my GL1500 and works great! Would buy again,if needed too!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello I had HAL price match the honda cb & ant.!!! would like to go cheap but want the oem controlles to work!!! wait for a 10% off sale then pay thru the A$$ anyway!! I am very happy with the honda CB except for $$$$$$$....chuck..PS I dont like EXTRA CRAPP hanging off my bike!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts

I did a similar thing, fighting the high price of the honda CB. It just didn't work out well as I didn't have a convenient push to talk button and had to wait for the right road conditions before I could say anything. Finally gave up on my jury rig and bought the Hondaline CB and antenna from Hal during a Holiday sale. I wouldn't go any other way now and don't regret the money spent. My suggestion is to wait for a sale and go ahead and buy the integrated CB, well worth the convenience and ease of use.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
The High Price of Winging It

As we all know by now almost any accessory for the Wing is outrageously overpriced. Bottom line, if you want it personalized get ready to pay thru the nose for a C.B. or anything else especially Hondaline products!!! T. :evil:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts