GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post, so if this has been beat to death, please just say so, and I'll go away, but . . .

A fellow I know bought a 2003 GL1800 in October and was told specifically that the bike was not in the frame recall. You guessed the rest by now, I guess. He just got notice from Honda that the bike is in the recall. He admits that he should have gotten the serial number and checked for himself but now wonders what recourse he has. Honda wasn't supposed to sell anything in the recall past September were they?

IMHO . . . he should just let them fix it and file a complaint with the NHTSA and Honda. But I'd be interested in other opinions.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Danl said:
did he buy it at a Honda Dealer?

Dan L
Sometimes I leave out the important info :oops:

Yes, it was a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You are right - the subject has been here before. Why not just have the thing fixed, and go ride it? Fix is free, and is likely a lot easier to get done than beating ones head against the wall for no other point than to say "Hey, I found a dealer that screwed up".

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Honda had sent specific instructions to their dealers to not sell any 03 models until they got the specific information, once they had the details of the recall, I believe they violated Federal Law by selling one that hadn't had the service done. IMHO That dealership is in a whole lot of trouble with the Feds.

:eek:ops2:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Mr. Ed

What is the VIN number?

Some letters to owners were sent in error and there has been some confusion. The best thing right now is to verify definitely whether or not the bike is affected. There are two VIN number ranges for each year: one for ABS and another for non-ABS. Some people have read these wrong. If we get the bike's VIN number we can tell you for sure.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the responses. Yep, I think it's silly to beat his head against the wall too, but he wanted to know his rights.

I will suggest he double-check the serial number.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I speculated this was the one posted on the GWRRA board, if it is, then the owner received notice of the recall and has checked the serial number and found it was in that group.

I hope that no more dealers are doing this!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Perhaps you're saying "serial number" when you actually mean the Vehicle Identification Number. The serial number is a small part of the VIN and someone can easily make a mistake by just checking the serial number part. Your VIN is not some secret number that you have to protect but at this point there is a question in my mind as to who is making the mistake.

Also, it was almost mid-October before the issue of the frame recall came out so the next question is 'on what date was the bike purchased?'.

Anyway, if someone has an issue with this they need to take it up directly with Honda, or the dealer. Personally, I vote with IR Harry on this (see message above)... he got it right! :s27:

I hope he gets past this and just enjoys the best touring motorcycle ever made. :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a friend in NH that bought a trike last month and the trike dealer did not tell him about the recall. Luckily he called me to tell me he bought a trike and I alerted him that he might have a trike with a potential problem. When confronted about a possible bad VIN number the trike dealer said he vaguely remembered a letter from Honda. Since the 1800 had not been triked yet, he was able to have the repair done. If he had had it triked first there may have been some problems repairing it. The trike dealer was not a Honda dealer, but bought the bike from a local dealer. I don't know if the trike dealer knew about the cracking issue, but it is hard to believe he didn't know. Buyer beware!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I believe under law he is entitled to a replacement/refund and does not have to settle for the questionable fix. Get him fired up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I firmly believe this is not the fault of the dealers. I actually received 2 letters from Honda. The first was the general recall letter containing the affected VIN# ranges which my Wing was not in. I called my dealer and he verified this. I filed the letter, and about 2 weeks later, another letter arrived from Honda just like the first, but the VIN# range DID include my Wing. I called HOnda customer service to verify, and they did. I was in Louisiana at the time, and that evening my wife called and said that my dealer had called, and explained to her that my Wing was in fact a part of the recall. When I returned from La., I took my Wing in, they did both the frame and the ECU (for alleged overheating which mine did not overheat), and all is well with the world.
Get the recalls done, and enjoy the bike. Get a lawyer involved and everybody looses. Could be honest mistake and confusion caused by recall letters. By the way....my frame showed no signs of cracking.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I wasn't going to post on this issue about whether the dealers should be blamed or not for selling a bike in the recalled range or not, but here goes anyway. First, I wouldn't put any stock in anything that the salesman would tell me. Many of them are there, just because they're waiting for a better job somewhere else. When I bought my bike, the salesman told me that they still had the onboard air compressor. Yeah, right...even I knew that they didn't. (he's now selling cars at a new car dealer).

These people are in the business of selling merchandise, and they are supposed to know what they are selling. How many times have all of you gone into a store, and know more about the product you're looking at than the seller? Just today, we went into a Staples to look at digital cameras, and the salesman didn't even know that the display mount on the bottom of the camera came off, he thought it was glued on.

If the seller's would research what they are selling instead of sitting there looking out the window drinking coffee, they would know the specs of the items they are selling. For something as serious as frames and ecm's, I would think the dealers would be keeping up on what's going on. It's about time for the buck-passing to stop, and start taking responsibility for one's own actions.

When is Honda going to stand up and admit it's their problem, and do the right thing to fix this whole mess. I just hope that no one gets hurt when these welds start cracking again some time down the road. If mine cracks, there won't be enough left of the bike to weld.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now. :rw1:

·
Registered
260 Posts
If a dealer could not interpret the recall notice they are incompetent. As pointed out above, the dealers clearly had a no sell notice. It didn't say, you can go ahead and sell if you are too stupid to read the recall or have no integrity. It said do not sell.

I would notifiy Honda and insist that the bike be replaced with one outside the recall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts