GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike ran normally on the way to work but when I was ready to head home, it wouldn't start. It cranked over as fast as ever and I tried it many times. I checked all the normal things, neutral, reverse, kill switch, kick stand etc. Most of those things keep it from engaging the starter. I can try a different battery or jumper cables just to make sure the battery isn't weak. I really doubt that due to how much it was able to crank on the starter but anything is possible and it is the original battery in an 05.

I posted this in the general forum earlier because I couldn't access the tech board for some reason.

I can check for spark easy enough. Are there any other things to check or an easy way to know the fuel pump is good? I hate to throw in the towel and haul it to the dealer if it is something simple.

Thanks for any ideas. I'll pack some tools in the car tonight and hope for the best.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I suspect its the battery. They fail unexpectedly. Consider ordering one from Hal just to have it on hand. Also, have your battery loaded tested at Auto Zone.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,197 Posts
Turn on the cruise and see if the orange cruise light comes on. Are you hearing the fuel pump run when the key is switched on? If not then you have a problem with your bank angle sensor or a blown fuse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All systems normal

Well, good news, bad news.

The good news is, the bike fired right up this morning. I had brought with tools, jumper cables and a Fluke meter. Put the key in to see if any battery was left, hit the switch and vroom, started as quick and normal as ever. At least I didn't have to have it hauled to a dealer only to have a bill for telling me everything is fine and nothing could be found.

Bad news, now I'm leary as to what it is and when it will happen again.

I highly doubted the battery because the engine turned over as fast as ever. I could hear the fuel pump make its normal sounds. I flipped and pressed any and all switchs I could think of (cruise, reverse, kill), most prevent the starter from cranking the engine. I leaned the bike from side to side, kickstand up and down, put bike on center-stand, clicked through all gears and back into neutral, crank starter with clutch in while in various gears, bump engine in gear by pushing, nothing. I put the bike back on the center stand and rode home with a friend. This morning it fired up without touching anything other than the key and starter button. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It helped to make sure I prepared all the stuff I needed to throw in the car today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The saga continues

Well, after running it a bit in the morning to charge the battery, I went into work happy. Came out to drive my bike home and the same thing. Starter turns over the motor fast enough and long enough that I could drive it home on the starter if I live closer. I put a digital Fluke meter on the battery and it never drops below 10.2 volts while cranking. Flipped all the usual swithes which keep it from cranking, lean the bike every which way, roll-bump the engine, keeps cranking but not starting. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Just about to give up and take the cage home, I put it back up on the center stand, tried the starter one last time and it fired up quickly like it normally would. The only thing I can think is the bit of jarring as it goes onto the center stand is different than when I move the bike around. Anyway drove home (30+) miles without incident. Shut it off and restarted numerous time just fine. Just tried it again before coming into the house, about 6 hours after getting home, and it started normally.

So, I am still looking for any ideas. I do not have a service manual but would be interested if anyone has one for an 05 model. Are they available in pdf format online anywhere? What is the going price for the service manual? If anyone has anymore info on the lean angle sensor, please post. Where is it located? Wire colors and normal voltage or ground readings for troubleshooting? What is the part # and approximate price?
Any info would help. The riding season is short enough in MN without leaving it parked while I figure this out.

Thanks for reading my novel if you made it this far.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
I put a digital Fluke meter on the battery and it never drops below 10.2 volts while cranking.
I bet that is the problem. 10.2 volts is probably too low. I suspect you have a marginal relay that is dropping out at that low of a voltage.

Put a new battery in the bike and your problems will go away.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,197 Posts
The easiest way to check the bank angle sensor is to turn on the cruise when it won't start. If that orange cruise light comes on, the sensor is good. The sensor is mounted on a bracket at the rear of the right headlight assembly.

Wires on it are red/white, white, and green.

white = +12V
green = ground
red/white = will read very low resistance to ground if it is working right.

Past failures were mostly loose screws that mount it, there was even a service bulletin about wrong screws but that was isolated to the 01 model year.

If the battery voltage is the problem you will see the cruise light go off while cranking as well.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
10.2 volts during cranking is right on the edge. All it takes is some resistance in a connector to a relay or a few ohms of resistance on a ground path and it is going to make a relay drop out.

A new battery won't drop below about 11.5 volts during cranking. While 1.5 volts doesn't seem like much, it is indeed enough to make a relay drop out.

And by the way, continuing to crank an engine on a battery with low voltage can and will damage the windings in the starter motor. If it doesn't start after the first couple seconds, continuing to crank on it is only going to make the battery weaker, and tear up your starter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone.

Thats all good information I can use.

I thought if the voltage stayed above 10, it was good but if that is the problem, I'll get a new battery. I guess with all the electronics and fuel injection, maintaining a higher minimum voltage makes sense. I don't normally ride the starter, I did it long enough to get a stable reading.

The cruise light being an indicator if the correct fuse/relay is engaged is great. Thats what I was looking for, ways to narrow down the diagnosis.

Looks like a new battery is a simple enough fix.

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
I do not have a service manual but would be interested if anyone has one for an 05 model. Are they available in pdf format online anywhere?
This was on the other board for somebody looking for an '05 manual:

What about an online .pdf file? Here's the URL for the Service Manual:
http://www.goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda%20Goldwing%20GL1800%202001%20to%202005%20Ser vice%20Manual.pdf
I downloaded it to my laptop and just take it to the bike if I need to do anything to it. It's also handy to take on trips in case you have a problem on the road.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Get a good battery, I used a walmart battery once and it would spin the motor fast but didn't have enough amperage to make the engine fire up. So stick with an oem battery if possible.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
I'm pretty confident a new battery will fix your issues.

I'm not sure what the drop out voltage is on the relays, but if there is a dirty ground or a poor contact in the relay box, it can add a few ohms in the path. So even though you have 10.2 volts at the battery, you may only have 9.5 at one paticular relay, and that may be low enough to cause it to open up. If this happens to the fuel pump relay, then the bike won't start.

In addition to replacing the battery, if you ever pull out the gas tank on the bike to do other maintenance, I would highly suggest you clean and tighten the G1 ground underneath it. You also should check the G2 ground on the right side near the rear brake reservoir. Then go to the fuse panel and make sure every fuse is pushed in all the way. If you want, you can remove the seat and do the same thing with all the relays inside the relay box. What you are trying to do is insure good contacts on everything with minimal resistance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No news has been good news, until now

An Update, I have been starting the bike three times a day for a couple weeks and it has never missed a beat. Occassionally riding it to charge the battery. Today I came home from work and tried it as always, no start. What today shares with the previous no-start days is humidity. Wet, rainy day. I checked the voltage sooner this time before a lot of extended crank tries. Steady state cranking voltage never fell below 10.8 volts. I have removed and reinstalled every accessible fuse and relay and connector under the side panels and seat. No noticeable corrosion or bent connectors. Checked codes. Code 19 repeats. No other codes. I still have to look up what means.

After a bunch of jerking the bike around and trying everything imaginable it started. No idea why. I'll be commuting with it tomorrow in the rain if it starts in the morning (my truck is in the shop, after being towed there tonight). I'll be walking soon.

Any ideas what moisture could be affecting? Might be a shot in the dark but thats where I'm at.

Thanks for any insight.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,197 Posts
code 19 is a fault with the crankshaft sensor or it's wiring. I would check the connectors on the ECM and the harness going down to the sensor.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Code 19 crank position sensor. Causes: Loose or poorly connected crank position sensor connector. Open or short circuit in the crank position sensor wire. Faulty crank position sensor. Symptoms: Engine does not start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any idea what one of those costs? Or the part # so I can find out price and availability from a local dealer? If I am going to dig into the tupperware to inspect connections and wires, I might just replace it if the cost isn't obscene.

Thanks for the quick responses.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts