GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rookie question about darkside tires. I personally would not run darkside on a two-wheel bike. I am going to purchase a Hannigan GTL sidecar with front end mods. What is the general consensus about using darkside tires with a rig?

Thanks, Robert.

·
Administrator
3,728 Posts
I don't know anything about sidecars, but with a sidecar you won't be using the edge of the tires on ANY of the wheels. I personally think that car tires would be preferred on the sidecar AND the motorcycle.

Glen

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I don't know anything about sidecars, but with a sidecar you won't be using the edge of the tires on ANY of the wheels. I personally think that car tires would be preferred on the sidecar AND the motorcycle.

Glen
:agree: On my reverse trike, (pretty much same as a sidecar) all the tires stay flat.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have two friends with motorcycles with sidecars on them that have been running car tires on the rear. One is a1500 and for a number of years has run the Austone Taxi tire. Another friend has had a car tire on his last two gl1800s with sidecar and is a Ohio member of this forum and will chime in if he sees this post.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi I'm Arty in Randolph, Mass. I had all the same questions. Scroll down this page and read my entire posting. 2013 F6B with 2017 Hannigan sidecar. I'd be happy to answer all your questions. 781-413-6488 This site is awesome and I got a ton of great advice. Definitely go " Double Darkside " especially with a sidecar.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
What is the general consensus about using darkside tires with a rig?
I don't know what the general consensus will be, but from this former hack driver, I firmly believe it is the only way to go. If you can't find a car tire to fit the front rim, find a rear tire and flip the normal direction of travel. You get a rear m/c tire because of tread depth. You run it backward because it is designed to be a rear tire. That is the theory, anyway.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what the general consensus will be, but from this former hack driver, I firmly believe it is the only way to go. If you can't find a car tire to fit the front rim, find a rear tire and flip the normal direction of travel. You get a rear m/c tire because of tread depth. You run it backward because it is designed to be a rear tire. That is the theory, anyway.
Thanks, I believe that's what Hannigan does with their front end mods for the 2016 wing.

Robert

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi I'm Arty in Randolph, Mass. I had all the same questions. Scroll down this page and read my entire posting. 2013 F6B with 2017 Hannigan sidecar. I'd be happy to answer all your questions. 781-413-6488 This site is awesome and I got a ton of great advice. Definitely go " Double Darkside " especially with a sidecar.
Thanks, Arty. I don't see where to scroll to.

Robert

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
"I personally would not run darkside on a two-wheel bike"

Why would it be any better on a Sidecar bike?

·
Registered
124 Posts
To answer Big Tom's question. When you add a sidecar to a motorcycle, the motorcycle tires become squared off. The old BMW's use what's called a K Block tire. It's a squared motorcycle tire specifically designed for sidecar use. I personally would not go " Double Darkside on a two wheel motorcycle. That's just my feelings. It's amazing on a sidecar rig.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To answer Robert's question. My posting is now on page 2. The title is 2013 F6B with 2017 Hannigan sidecar. All your questions will be answered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts