GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to this board. I have been a member over at the M109 board for several years. I just bought a new 2010 wing and I have a question.

Is there a way to disable the feature that will not let you make changes to the gps while riding. I know it is dangerous and they are just trying to save us from ourselves, but it is a real pain the cancel a route or change a route or anything without stopping to do it.

I did do a search and the only thing I found was the gentleman who suggested the turning to the ACC mode and pulling in the clutch, but there has to be a back door somehow for this.

Anyone :bow:

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think someone had posted a fix for this that involved installing a jumper wire or changing the connection point of a wiring harness about a year ago or so. I'm very reluctant to do homebrew surgery on my wing (I lack the skills and intestinal fortitude of folks like Zacky:bow:) so I went with a Zumo 550 and RAM mount.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Gps

I have a wire (two actually) running from a wire under the passenger seat to my right fairing pocket. When on (circuit closed), the GPS functions normally. When off (circuit open), and my clutch is engaged, I can do whatever I want to the GPS.

I mainly use this when I forget to accept the disclaimer before taking off and I want to see the map. However, I also have a Garmin 2730 mounted so I generally use the bike GPS to get a more zoomed out view of where I am within my state or wherever I am.

I figured out how to wire this switch by doing some searches on this site. Others have overridden the clutch engagement too, but it didn't mean that much to me.

If memory serves me, there's a really long thread someplace - maybe up to eight pages now - that you kind of have to read and decipher.

Bottom line, it can be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts