GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all!

I’m looking to buy a 2010-2013 Goldwing. Is it true that not all Goldwings come with ABS as a standard?
If so, what model or which package should I look for one when buying a Goldwing?

Thanks!

John

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
Buy a 2012 or newer. Second generation 1800, upgrades and amended body styling. Doesn't answer your question about ABS, but go 2012 or newer if you have a choice. (If it was me I'd go 2014 or newer. That's the year the dreaded shift drop from 5th to 4th was resolved.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a 2012 or newer. Second generation 1800, upgrades and amended body styling. Dorent answer your question about ABS, but go 2012 or newer if you have a choice. (If it was me I'd go 2014 or newer. That's the year the dreaded shift drip from 5th to 4th was resolved.)
Thanks Paul I'll keep that in mind!

·
Chard Member
12,966 Posts
Buy a 2011 Goldwing. I haven’t heard of the first issue with that year!

All air bag models have abs. To get abs you have to get the nav unit included. Just because it has nav doesn’t mean it has abs. If it has abs it’ll have nav. Clear?

ABS bikes with have “ABS” on the chrome caliper covers. ABS bikes will also have a abs ring on the right side of the front wheel.

Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I figured when you're spending big bucks for a Goldwing it would come with ABS as standard equipment. I'll be careful when I buy one, soon!

·
Administrator
3,580 Posts
Thanks! I figured when you're spending big bucks for a Goldwing it would come with ABS as standard equipment. I'll be careful when I buy one, soon!
You're right. The premier flagship touring bike SHOULD have had standard ABS. It didn't become standard until the newly re-designed 2018 models. Welcome aboard. You'll find this forum is a great place. Come on in- the water's fine!

Glen

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I feel like no one has really answered the question. ABS was optional from 2001-2017. It is standard on 2018+ models. In my experience, most of the bikes that are available used 2017 and older do not have ABS on them. Buying used is also in some ways buyer beware. I've had people tell me a bike had ABS on it, when it did not even have the navigation option which is required for the ABS option. Many people selling used Goldwings assume that it has ABS. I did not want a bike without ABS, but that was my personal preference and nothing more.

I have been riding with ABS since 2012 and I have never had it engage outside of my practice sessions.

·
Administrator
3,580 Posts
I feel like no one has really answered the question. ABS was optional from 2001-2017. It is standard on 2018+ models. In my experience, most of the bikes that are available used 2017 and older do not have ABS on them. Buying used is also in some ways buyer beware. I've had people tell me a bike had ABS on it, when it did not even have the navigation option which is required for the ABS option. Many people selling used Goldwings assume that it has ABS. I did not want a bike without ABS, but that was my personal preference and nothing more.

I have been riding with ABS since 2012 and I have never had it engage outside of my practice sessions.
Terry, one small correction. Beginning in 2006 the ABS was available only on bikes equipped with the Navigation system. The 2001-2005 models actually could have the ABS as a stand-alone option. Just like you, I decided that the ABS was a mandatory option when I bought my 2006 WIng, so I had to pay the $2000 to get the Nav (wwwwwhich I didn't want) so that I could then pay $1000 for the ABS! My present 2012 model has the full monte including the airbag.

Glen

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Well, they don't all have ABS brakes, but the body shell is ABS...... :)

Reactions: Walrus

·
Registered
43 Posts
Like Glockjock said, the Anti lock brakes came as a "package upgrade". There was a Comfort package, heated grips and seats, then a Nav package, with GPS ( witch I Love because it will warn you of rain in the area ), then there was a ABS system package, and finally the airbag option. Mine does not have the ABS or Air Bag.
The ABS is the best option in my mind. DEFINITELY get it if you can!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! I’ll definitely look for one with ABS.
Just seems a bit strange. I have 3 BMWs, including the GS and even they come with ABS as standard equipment. And we take that thing off road!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks everyone! I’ll definitely look for one with ABS.
Just seems a bit strange. I have 3 BMWs, including the GS and even they come with ABS as standard equipment. And we take that thing off road!
It is a sore subject among many of us.

·
Registered
693 Posts
All 2001-2017 GL1800 models have linked brakes for both the hand lever and the foot pedal. This may be a partial cause of some confusion. While NOT a true anti-lock system, linked brakes are less prone to lock up than traditional motorcycle brakes. The front to rear proportional distribution is different between the lever and the pedal and you need to still use both.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Late to reply, but I was so happy to buy my 08 new without being forced to get ABS. I don't like ABS on cars, trucks, motorcycles, or any other vehical. All it does is cut in and frick up your braking when you need it, and is always the first system to go to crap on any vehical it's equiped with. Wife's 2014 Jeep we've been fighting intermittant ABS problems for 2 entire years now. Some reason the system senses the right rear wheel not rotating sometimes during slow speed braking, and when this happens it releases the brakes and you might as well open the door and stick your foot on the ground for brakes, as brakes are disabled on the thing. I can so easily live without this feature.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Late to reply, but I was so happy to buy my 08 new without being forced to get ABS. I don't like ABS on cars, trucks, motorcycles, or any other vehical. All it does is cut in and frick up your braking when you need it, and is always the first system to go to crap on any vehical it's equiped with. Wife's 2014 Jeep we've been fighting intermittant ABS problems for 2 entire years now. Some reason the system senses the right rear wheel not rotating sometimes during slow speed braking, and when this happens it releases the brakes and you might as well open the door and stick your foot on the ground for brakes, as brakes are disabled on the thing. I can so easily live without this feature.
Not to hyjack the thread, but you've been having the same problem for 2 yrs should be covered under the lemon law.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Fluke, I don't see how your Jeep trouble has any relationship to our GoldWings. That is a problem you should be taking up with Chrysler not the forum. I only have personal knowledge of one ABS failure on a GL1800 and that was taken care of by Honda under warranty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Never had ABS on any of my bikes in over 50 years of riding and don't need of want it now. Just a band aid for poor riding.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If we ruled out every feature and technology that's crap on a Jeep, that would pretty much be every feature and technology.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts