GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This doesn't seem to be a real active board, but I figured I'd drop by and say howdy anyway.

We just moved to north AL from west Texas. We've been pretty busy getting moved in etc, so I've only taken a few rides around the neighborhood (eastern Morgan county mostly). My first impression? Holy Cow! This place is paradise. I've already found great roads within 20 miles of my house that are the equal to some of my all-time favorites back in TX.

Does anyone have any favorite RTE rides to share? Always on the lookout for out-of-the-way places to eat...

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi. Hope to see y'all on the road.

c~

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hello and welcome to the neighborhood! Run up through Lake Guntersville SP on Rte 227 to Scottsboro. Right on Rte 35 to Ft Payne and beyond that to Little River Canyon. Awesome views and curves!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg, we actually looked at houses in Guntersville, Scottsboro, and Ft. Payne when we first decided to retire here. That sure is a pretty area and I'm looking forward to riding up there. I've been reading about the Lookout Mountain Trail that runs from Gadsden up to Chattanooga through Ft. Payne and Mentone etc - looks like it ought to be pretty scenic.

Haste Maker, that is a pretty cool looking place. We'll definitely check it out. Maybe 10 or 12 years ago I rode the Natchez Trace from Nashville down to Mississippi so I must have come through Cherokee not more than 10 miles from there, but I don't remember much about the area.

We've been pretty busy getting settled in, so we've stayed close to home. Mostly exploring the area between Hartselle and Arab. Lots of short, fun roads around here if we want to get away for an hour or two.

Thanks for the suggestions!

c~

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Hello from Athens, Al and welcome to our great little area. We have a little group of about 20 that ride to eat just about every Saturday afternoon. Be happy for you to join us and a great way to learn the area roads.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I suspect this board will get busier as Wing Ding gets closer. I along with others will be looking for a nice day ride out of Huntsville into the surrounding area. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Hello from Athens, Al and welcome to our great little area. We have a little group of about 20 that ride to eat just about every Saturday afternoon. Be happy for you to join us and a great way to learn the area roads.
Do ya'll have anything planned for this sat? Weather looks great for riding.

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Tommy, I personally have a wedding to attend on Sat., but some of the others in out group are planning to meet and ride to eat somewhere tomorrow afternoon, and then there are a few of us that have gone on to an all men's camping trip in the Smokies this week and weekend. If weather allows, we hope to be able to make next Saturdays (5-9-15) ride to eat. We have been trying to get up a ride to Loveless Cafe near Nashville, TN, but the weather has been too wet or cold for that all day trip. We seem to be running about a month behind on beginning the riding season this year.

·
Read Only
853 Posts
I suspect this board will get busier as Wing Ding gets closer. I along with others will be looking for a nice day ride out of Huntsville into the surrounding area. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Check out Little River Canyon. Here is the link; http://littlerivercanyon.areaparks.com/

Then there's Barber's Motorsports Museum in Leeds, Al (about 2 hr ride one way by interstate).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts