GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions about riding the outer banks? How many ferries do you have to use to ride the whole string and are there a few nice places to stay the night?

Jim
tnwingrider

·
Registered
142 Posts
You have 2 of them one about 2hrs and one about 30min I was there the week of the 4th of July. So we didn't stay overnight but it is a nice place to go to. If you like old planes you will want to see the Wright Bro. place and they are also a old lighthouse that they move if you are in good shape you can climb to the top.
Eddie H.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello,
Went there in May. Watched a pod of dolphins go by just off the beach from our motel room. I would suggest riding it North to South. That way you hit the built up areas first and by the time you get to Ocrakoke its much nicer. Lots of places to stay the whole length. Also ate very well. Don't forget Howard's. While in the area check out the Chesepeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel.
Later,
Norm

·
Registered
994 Posts
We visit the Outer Banks 1-2 times a year - always in off season. The temperatures are a little cooler, beaches all to yourself for the most part and lower room prices.

Lately we have been staying here:
http://www.motelbythesea.com/location.htm

Almost adjacent to the Wright Brothers Museum.

We always stay on the fourth floor for a nice view - excellent sunrise.

Wife likes to eat dinner at RV's on the bridge to Maneo - don't miss the stunning sunset.

For breakfast I recommend "Stack em High" or "Eat and Get The Hell Out".
Both on the main drag between Kill Devil and Nags Head.

Been awhile since we did the whole strip - can't remember specifics of the ferrys but from Moorehead city to Nags Head took us the better part of a day of just riding. Plan extra time for some sight seeing.

Beaches - try just south of Pea (sp?) Island. Very few tourist and we usually find better shells there.

We have a trike so parking is not a problem. On two wheels make sure you have something for the stand. A lot of the beach parking is on sand.

Have Fun

·
Registered
270 Posts
Outer Banks is a great trip.

The restaurant on the bridge is a must stop.

The only two ferrys that we ever took, were the Ocracoke at Cape Hatteras and the Cedar Island back toward the mainland.

We haven't made the trip on the wing, because I've always got a truck load of fishing gear.

We always stay in Hatteras.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Many years ago, I had a house built for me on Ocracoke. It was so long ago, the island was still dry meaning that you could not get a drink. The ferry from the north is free and the ferry to the south costs. I like pre and post summer season. The weather is great and the crowds that might have been there are all gone. Great weather and great beaches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts