GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I and another couple are planning a vacation to North Carolina May 14-22. Can anyone suggest a few "Must Ride" locations? We are traveling from St. Louis and figure ride to the coast. We want to go to Kitty Hawk and then ride hi way 12 down to the ferry at Ocracoke. Other than that our route is flexible.

In true Goldwinger tradition we are also looking for the truly great places to eat along the way.

Of course we plan to pay the Chef a visit.

Since none of us have been there we can really use some advice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hardball, any road in western NC is worth riding. From Chattanooga p.u. Hwy 64 and either stay on it to Brevard,NC or 64 to 19 to Cherokee,NC Either point you can then p.u. the Blue Ridge Pkwy, which is a must ride. From Knoxville, p.u. 441 to Pigeon Forge and ride over the Smoky Mts to Cherokee and the BlueRidge Pkwy. For restuarants, I'm partial to the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Food is fair but the views are awesome.
By the way if you p.u. Hwy 64 you can stay on it all the way to the coast.
Randy F
Concord,NC

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are numerous great roads in the western part of N. C., Cherahawla sp. skyway is extremely nice. The Dragon (US-29) at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles is also a hoot to ride but watch out for the sport bike crowd as well as the cagers. 276 through the Pisgah National Forest is a nice ride with roadside waterfalls and other worthwhile sights such as the cradle of Forestry (my mother volunteers there). Then you have Maggie Valley and a M/C Museum there that was just written up in "Rider" Magazine (sorry can't remember it's name but it's on highway 19/26 as I recall).

Transylvania county (around Brevard) has close to 1000 waterfalls in it and some are pretty spectacular. There is an outstanding Chinese buffet restaurant just inside Brevard about a mile from the intersection of 64 and 276 on 64. It'll be on the right heading toward town. You can't miss it as the parking lot overflows most days with vehicles parking on the shoulder of 64.

If you go through town on 64 then go about ten miles you can turn right on 215 which is also loaded with curves and some spectacular vistas as well before it intersects with 276.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

Rick C. in Newport News Va. but my hometown is Brevard N. C.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You are in luck Hardball. We live in Kitty Hawk. Tell me what you want to know. Hurricanne Isabel did a lot of damage last September to the Kitty Hawk ocean front. NC-12 to Hatteras was gone. The ocean cut a inlet through to the sound. No way in or out except by boat or ferry for a few months. Power, water and phone service has been repaired to Hatteras island. Ocracoke requires a ferry ride no matter where you are coming from or headed to. Make your reservations early. Things book up fast and if good weather is forcasted we get a lot of folks headed to the beach for a long weekend.
The 100 years of avaition deal we just had rushed them to get things put back together. Try to get your fill of curves and elevation before you get here.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Seems like most of the scenic rides are pretty well covered, when we head to the coast we always plan a stop for SouthPort NC. Nice coastal village, seems to have a northern style feel to it, kinda like Maine or something, but there in good ole NC.

Pretty much Norman Rockwell stuff except for Independence day weekend.

:flg:

·
Registered
880 Posts
As mentioned above
the Cherohala Skyway
the "Dragon"
and the Blue Ridge Parkway
I did all of these last summer and they were great. I've always been warned about heavy traffic, especially on the Parkway. Ive made 4 trips there usually a week or 2 after the 4th of July and have had no traffic problems. On the Parkway 3 days, Sat., Sun. and Mon. Almost had it to myself on Mon. the links are to the home page and map links from there.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/DRAGONmap.gif
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/CHE ... nc_map.gif
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/chero_tn_map.gif

·
Registered
994 Posts
HardBall said:
My wife and I and another couple are planning a vacation to North Carolina May 14-22. Can anyone suggest a few "Must Ride" locations? We are traveling from St. Louis and figure ride to the coast. We want to go to Kitty Hawk and then ride hi way 12 down to the ferry at Ocracoke. Other than that our route is flexible.

In true Goldwinger tradition we are also looking for the truly great places to eat along the way.

Of course we plan to pay the Chef a visit.

Since none of us have been there we can really use some advice.
First make sure the road is open at Hatteras. It was closed this winter but should be open now.

Are you a "lighthouse" guy. Start north of of Kitty Hawk and work south stopping at each lighthouse. At Ocracoke take another ferry south - more lighthouses and beautiful beaches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HardBall,
If you take 19 east out of Cherokee, you'll come to Maggie Valley, N.C. Nice, scenic little town and there's a place to eat as you enter Maggie Valley called "Joey's Pancake House". They serve until 11 a.m. and the owner / chef is the retired head chef from the famed Fountain Blue Hotel in Miami, Fl.
They serve the BEST breakfast you've ever put into your mouth! When the spousal unit and I go there for vacation, we stay at the Jonathan Creek Motel because it's directly across the street from Joey's!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts