GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of us are traveling to North Carolina in May of this year. Are there any nice roads or things to see in the Piedmont area of N.C.? I've got everything nailed down for our time on the western side of the state, except for restaurants. And I've also got it organized for the coastal area, but the Piedmont area is a problem. What's there to see and do, and are there some good restaurants there? Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do not miss Lexington BBQ in Lexington NC.
In a state with many good BBQ places I think
this one is best. My second favorite is Bridges
BBQ in Shelby.

Ronnie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got to agree... Lexington BBQ located on business 85
just north of the hyw 150 exit. Also Speedy's BBQ located on business US 52/NC8 just on the northern side of town. Can't miss with either place. Might try riding down NC8 toward High Rock Lake. Country roads with nice scenery in the spring...

Brent:22yikes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also if you continue down hyw 64 towards Asheboro you can visit The North Carolina Zoo. Also a good Honda dealer is located just beyond the Street that goes to the zoo. Cycle Center of Asheboro...

Brent:22yikes:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Believe it or not, I read that Concord Mills (a big mall) in Concord, NC just north of Charlotte, was NC's largest tourist attraction. I think there's a big NASCAR race in Charlotte in May. They're constructing the NASCAR Hall of Frame in Charlotte. I'm not sure when it's supposed to be finished. Both the mountains and the coast are only a few hours from the Piedmont area.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
There used to be an awesome BBQ joint right outside of Boone, NC that we made a "must stop" when we were in NC. Unfortunately, it burned down several years ago and I'm not sure if it was rebuilt. I can't remember the name, but they sure had the very best BBQ. Don't know if you have ever had any NC BBQ, but I sure would recommend you try some when are in "The Tar Heel State". :cool::thumbup:

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
north carolina

Thanks for the BBQ info guys. I found out about Calabash on the internet. That sounds like it might be a tasty place to stop at. I've included it in our travels.

We are taking in Lake Lure where Dirty Dancing was filmed. However, since I've never been to the central region of North Carolina, which I believe is the Piedmont, I don't know what roads would be nice to take from Lake Lure over to Calabash and take in the BBQ at Lexington on the way. If anyone has any suggestions for a nice route, let me know.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
412 Posts
long way?

Hi Keysyrider,

Lake Lure to Calabash (on the coast - border of NC/SC) is 291 miles and almost 5 hours using direct routing with mapsource which takes you into SC on the way (fastest route) Is that where you want to start/wind up?

How many more miles are you willing to add to your day?

Adding in Lexington (Lake Lure->Lex->Calabash - direct fastest route) changes it to 337 miles and about 6hrs.

You want to add more back roads? How much more than 6hrs do you want to be on the bike?

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
North Carolina Ride

Decided that Lexington is too far out of the way from the places we want to be but we can probably get some of that great BBQ where we are going. We are taking two days to ride down from Canada. The second day will take us from Beckley, WV over to Shady Valley TN. and Hwy. 421. From there we are going through Butler and over to Hampton and up to Roan Mountain. A log home I built is right on the highway as you go out of Roan Mountain toward NC.

From there we head up and over Roan Mountain and on down to Bakersville and on to the BRP to Bryson City. We do a couple of day loops taking in Deals Gap, the Cherohal Skyway and then head across the BRP and on to Lake Lure.

Next day is a long ride from Lake Lure to Calabash for some of that great Carolina seafood. After that its up New Bern and on to Ocracoke, then up the cape and inland to ride through The Great Dismal Swamp. A trip across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and back again and then on to relatives in Richmond. From there we meander via The Skyway, Front Royal, and on up old 219 to Buffalo and home again.

Should be a great trip and if anyone can help us out with information as to places to stay, places to eat, or things to see along this route I'd appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts