GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Next week I am planning a nice 5-6 day road trip. I want to do as many miles as I can and want to spend 90 % of it off main roads.

I will be leaving Holbrook NY zip 11741 on wed night and will get into front royal VA that evening. Wake up next day and do 100 miles of skyline drive. Then heading to west Virgina for scenic riding and twistys!!! Any ideas for west Virgina would be great!!

After that I am open... was thinking of hitting soutwesten ohio and north western PA then to Niarga Falls up to Northern Vermont? Canada border down rte 100 back home...

Going to Niargra Falls is optional .... I could stay south if you guys think its a better idea.

Again im intrested in Scenic roads.... waterfalls... overlooks... and twistys till my tires wear out....

Thanks for the advice!!! Cant wait!! Im thinking 2500 to 3k miles from wed night to folowing tuesday.

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
I beleave RT100 is still closed in Vermont. I think there's a lot of road closers in the southern part of the state. I may go up there this weekend and take Rt17 to the northern part of Vermont.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
From the southern end of Skyline I would recommend 250 across WVA. Play around in The Mon national Forest. It's all twisty and all good. Continue on 250 on up to Ohio and then head back east on rt 6 in PA. Google Monongahela National Forest. Lot to see there.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You may be trying to fit too much into 6 days, 5 days if you count riding to Front Royal. It's not beyond the possible, but not riding any slab, I think you'll find that riding 300 miles/day on backroads will tire you out.

Day 1 - to Front Royal
Day 2 - down Skyline Drive to Waynesboro, VA (where I live) and then US250 into WV.
Day 3 - ride to western NY/Niagra Falls
Day 4 - enjoy Niagara Falls; leave in afternoon for Upstate NY
Day 5 - Adirondacks, Catskills, down the Hudson River
Day 6 - head home

Or...

Day 1 - to Annapolis, MD via Delaware (US 301 is excellent)
Day 2 - to Waynesboro via Skyline Drive (you'll need to leave early in the am to make this work.
Day 3 - US250/US33 in WV plus additional side roads (you'll get suggestions)
Day 4 - (Day 3 above)
Day 5 - (Day 4 above) stay in Adirondacks area
Day 6 - come home via the Catskills and the Hudson River.

Adding VT/NH would add two more days, IMO.

Miles are all well and good, but you want to be able to stop and enjoy, too.

Just my suggestions.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'd suggest Rt 250 from the end of the Skyline Drive Through Staunton and on to WV. Enjoy Monterey and if it is nightfall, you might want to stay at the Highland Inn.

continue west on Rt 250 till you come to Rt 92 and rt 28 and turn left/south on Rt28/92. Follow this to Green Bank and take a tour of this facility. Then continue south on Rt 28. You can turn right onto Rt 66 and go to Cass Mountain Railroad which is worth the time to ride on a steam train to the top of the mountain. Or continue south till you come to Rt 39. Turn right and proceed to Marlington.

At this point I suggest a left turn on Rt 219 and follow it south to Rt 39 goes off to the right. Follow Rt 39 till you come to Rt 150 and turn right on Rt 150. Be careful the local Sheriff may still have the deputy that likes to patrol this beautiful road. Anyway run it till it ends back at Rt 219.

Now you need to select where to go, I suggest north on RT 219 to Huttonsville and then get on Rt 250 east and go back to Rt 28 but this time lets turn north on Rt 28 and head up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in WV. Rt 28 will run into Rt 33 and then you will be looking for Briery Gap Road which will take you to the summit of Spruce Knob. the view is great unless clouds are low and then you will just see the tops of the clouds. Unfortunately this is one road up and one road down so you have to reverse your route.

Once back on Rt 33 go north to Seneca Rocks. The visitor center is worth the time. There are a number of places to stay in the area, I suggest the store area right at the intersection.

From there I would suggest heading west on Rt 33 till you come to Harman where you want to turn north on Rt 32. Two suggestions of places to stay, the first being Canaan Valley State Park Resort on the left and the second being just after you get to the town of Davis, being Blackwater Falls State Park. I strongly recommend the breakfasts at either dining facility but they are pricey. You should go see the Falls. Be careful in either park and watch for deer--they are everywhere.

There are a number of other great roads in the area such as rt 72.

But you only have so much time so I would suggest you head up rt 32 to to Rt 50 and proceed to your next destination. Let me know if I can assist further by PM or email.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow... so much great info!! love it!!! Heres what im thinking this way you guys can give me better details...

WED NIGHT ......Im leaving on wed night from long island... getting to front royal that night.

THURSDAY... SKYLINE DRIVE AND SOME WEST VIRGINA that you guys reccomend

Friday.... West Virgina whatever u recomend

Sat..... West VA and up through OHIO

Sun OHIO.... PA rte 6???? Niargra Falls.....

MON ?

Tues... HOME

Thinking of skipping VERMONT and Northern NY route...

Cant wait.....

Please keep the great invalubale info coming!! This site rocks...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I think you're thinkin more sensibly. Use Monday to enjoy Niagara Falls, but one day is enough. You could even head out early/mid afternoon. Head east from Buffalo on US20 to Geneva and then SR14 down the shore of Seneca Lake. Stop at Watkins Glen.

Riding home from Buffalo would be a big day - 428 miles BY INTERSTATE, so you'd want to cut some of that off the day before.

Try to hit the Catskills... They's almost be on your way home.

·
Registered
336 Posts
From WVA cut up to Ohio and into PA north of Pittsburg, pickup RT 62 all the way up into NY. Around Hamburg NY head west and pick up RT 5 toward Buffalo. Use that to access I190 North into Niagara Falls. It will take you on the slab along the Niagara river past Buffalo and over Grand Island.

From there, as others sugggested head east to get beyond the City, drop down to Rt 20 and pick yourself a path down to the Watkins Glen area. A interesting side trip would be to go through Letchworth State park on the way down. In the Summer it is $8 but I don't know, On an off season weekday it might be free (some NY parks are free at this time of year).

Now drop south to pick up RT 6 across Northern PA. Then back through The City and home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for the info!!!! Did some final mapping and looks like West Virgina alone will be 3 full days.... lol...lol...

Now am looking at places to stay .... Want to stay in the middle of the GEORGE Washington National Forest... will be stopping at the radio telescope and the cass railroad near snowshoe mountain... and I realize they got 7 inches this past weekend... Just called some places and they said ill be fine by thursday...

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts