1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Darn....those sport Bikes...lol

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
OVER 150, coming out of a turn, RATS! they didn't give the make and model of that baby. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Dream Catcher said:
OVER 150, coming out of a turn, RATS! they didn't give the make and model of that baby. :lol: :lol:
I believe that would be the new Hondayamazukawi Gravedigger-XL

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Make jokes, if you will, but this is the kind of activity that goes in the face of all the AMA, ABATE, and a bunch of other motorcycle groups are trying to fight. How about a ban on all motorcycles on these roads? That would sure stop the madness and return the roads to the peaceful and law-abiding citizens of Georgia.

None of us want that, but that is the kind of extreme thinking law makers use to pass laws prohibiting and outlawing motorcycles in towns and cities across the nation. Why do WE allow a few miscreants to mess up our enjoyment of a sport we love because they want to participate in extreme behavior?

How about a ban on sales of any motorcycle able to exceed 90 mph? Just keep it up and we'll all get penalized.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Just another insane rider, accidents are mounting and people are being killed. No laughing matter to me.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I travel hwy 129 going to my house in Blairsville from my home in north Atlanta, I have since 2002 when I started building it. Ive seen these idiots on the road and have done my best to stay away from them. Its a big problem up there.

I have only been through one road block and seen one GSP officer up there in 4 years. Im not saying they were'nt there but you would think they would have been more visable.

I am moving up to the mountains in June after I retire but my wife will still be working at Emory hospital 2 days a week and I worry about her driving when the sport bikes come up. I have been a Dekalb County Police Officer for 26 years and I am laser certified. Maybe I can get a part-time job on the weekends to help this situation out.

I know this news report was about the sport bikes but I also know that the bicycles that ride in the mountains also cause alot of problems. They ride in the middle of the road in large packs, sometimes 30 or more. This makes all drivers mad and can cause folks to do dumb things. What Im saying is its not all the bikes causing problems, its cars too.

I feel the same way that lady does, this is going to be my new home. I dont want anyone to ruin it for me.

Ed, thanks for the link I missed the news cast the other night...........

N Ga Rider

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
They're just a bunch of adrenaline junkie's who've pushed it way, way too far. I enjoy pushing the performance limits of a bike but those guys are really playing russian roulette with the mountains all those cager's in the mix. The first step to legal regulation is usually followed by a public outcry from watching sensationalist news coverage like this for the sake of ratings. Yes they are wrong, but why hype it up and outrage the public against bikers even more? T. :cry:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Its my experience that when folks begin to cry out in a public forum, such as the news. That the people in charge that can do something about it are forced to address it. People have been complaining for years, myself included now that its in the public eye something might be done.

It will never be cured we all know that, Lord if we could stop all the problems in the world wouldnt it be great. But to just sit back and watch is just plain wrong...............

N Ga Rider

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing I don't agree with is the passing on double yellows. Most of the passes they showed were safe. A lot of no pass zones in the mountains are rediculous for modern motorcycles. Passing in a blind curve on the other hand is STUPID.

And just because a turn is marked for a recommended 25 mph does not mean I'll slow to that. Even a Wing can safely round those curves at double that speed with a good rider.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
MesquiteBob said:
Make jokes, if you will, but this is the kind of activity that goes in the face of all the AMA, ABATE, and a bunch of other motorcycle groups are trying to fight....
How about a ban on sales of any motorcycle able to exceed 90 mph? Just keep it up and we'll all get penalized.

Mesquite Bob
I agree with you Bob, as far as it being a serious business and that it could have negative effects on the rest of us riders in the future. They actually stopped making the Yamaha V-max years ago because the insurance companies blacklisted it. Then they started selling it again. The thing I worry will happen is what happened back in the seventies at various parks. They banned motorcycles from entering due to the outlaw bands running around back then. They could end up banning motorcycles from the nice twisty roads too. However, I still like humor. Was that 90mph measured going straight down a mine shaft? :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
442 Posts
Speed bumps, Big O speed bumps. I hate them but if it keeps up thats what will happen and then no one will be able to enjoy the roads. It's a low cost fix to.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
No one enjoys the twisties more than I (well except maybe Yellowwolf). I have ridden the dragon many times and never been scared, but in early Oct. I came through Hwy 60 in north Ga, While coming around one curve I met two Sport bikes passing a line of cars in the curve on double yellow. If i had not been a bike it would have been bad.

·
Registered
375 Posts
A radar gun on the straight away, a road block ½ mile down the road. Throw a few of them in jail, impound their bikes, and pull their driver's license for 3 months. The word will spread.

Too many of the driving public group us all into one big lump of crazy motorcycle riders. We're all guilty. We'll all lose our riding rights because of the foolish, stupid, actions of a few.

The law enforcement folks could do a better job of weeding out the 2%ers, but for some reason they don't. The laws are on the books. Enforce them! I don't want to open the other can of worms, but the same is true with LOUD bikes. There are laws. Enforce them so that us responsible rides will be able to continue to ride.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now, but I feel better :!: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Bad sport bike. Bad, bad sport bike.

But, I'll have to agree that 153 was nuts.

We need to do at least 2 things:
#1, by FAR: get rid of those highway guard rails that cut people in two! There are several other options available that are much safer for bikers and some actually cost less. The current guard rails are minimally safe for cars, do nothing for 18 wheelers, and are murderers of bikers.

#2, We can't allow the politicos to over-react to this and remove everyones freedoms because of the idiocy of a few. WE PAY for that road too.

David M.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Man, I am glad they were not filming that when we were going down those roads a couple months ago. LOL's Inexperienced riders are one of the biggest problems out on the road today. Fix that and the loud pipes and most of our problems would be solved.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sounds sort of like Deals Gap doesn't it?
We need to make sure who's the kettle and who's the pot. How many folks praised a member of this board for running at twice the speed limit on a VERY curvey road for 24 hours?

Oh that's right, I'm sure that was safe because it was done on a "GOLDWING" not a sportbike

·
Registered
375 Posts
Part of the problem, as I see it anyway, is that anyone can buy a motorcycle that can go 200MPH or more. A young kid gets a loan for $9,000 and presto, we have a recipe for disaster. No motorcycle endorsement required, just money. Next day we have a dead, or severely injured, motorcycle rider, and it is all over the news.

Even though all riders must have a motorcycle endorsement on their driver license, motorcycle dealers can sell a motorcycle to anyone, with no regard to whether the purchaser has the necessary endorsement or not.

Try to buy a car from a car dealer if you do not have a driver's license.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts