GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning to take a ride up the north shore scenic drive in Minnesota later this summer. The ride will not happen until at least late July, wife is having a hip replacement. Any suggestions on stops or side routes.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
How much time do you have? Palisade Head is a nice stop, good view if it’s clear, that’s where my sig pic is from. They say Betty’s Pies is good eats, but I find it iffy service.
I take a group up in the fall to Trail Center Lodge for breakfast/lunch. It’s half way in the gunflint trail out of Grand Marais. Cool place, small, quaint, easy, very good food.
Hope your not running it on or near the weekend. Tourists will wreck your ride. The earlier in the day you can ride the better. We will run up in the am, and go inland for the return trip, it’s that bad.
On that note, Ely Steak House has wonderful food for supper. Superior Shores Resort for supper is also very good, if you go back down the shore.
The Rustic Inn Cafe, at Castle Danger is good lunch/dinner, nice old style place, low key.
Gooseberry Falls is nice, Split rock Light house is a half a day, if you take it all in.
Grand Marais has a lot of touristy stuff that will kill your day if you let it. Lodging all over the place $$$, QC, Amenities.
If you plan it with a lot of time (or enough) available, to be off the road at a location by 2pm-ish you will enjoy the trip much more.
My thoughts, after being up their A LOT.
Forgot Glensheen Mansion in Duluth, Drive right by it all the time. Cool tour $$.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you are taking 4 to 5 days, there is a article in the New RIDER magazine showing some decent routes in north central Minn not that far from the shoreline, very good article.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I often do the North Shore scenic drive, but not in Wisconsin. It's a very leisurely day ride beginning north of Boston and up along the Altantic coast to the NH border, but it's well worth it to continue up the coast through NH and into Maine. Plenty of views of the ocean, historic sights and too many places to stop and eat, especially if you like lobster and fried clams. One of these days I'll take some pictures and post them here :smile2:.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I often do the North Shore scenic drive, but not in Wisconsin. It's a very leisurely day ride beginning north of Boston and up along the Altantic coast to the NH border, but it's well worth it to continue up the coast through NH and into Maine. Plenty of views of the ocean, historic sights and too many places to stop and eat, especially if you like lobster and fried clams. One of these days I'll take some pictures and post them here :smile2:.
Lived in Connecticut for 26 years. My wife and I used to take a Maine windjammer cruise out of Camden every year. I miss the ocean sometimes but not the traffic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts