GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us that can't ride 12 months a year, what's the AVERAGE miles you clock up Spring, Summer and Fall ??

·
Registered
882 Posts
My average since I started riding touring bikes has been about 12,000. I'm at about 14,000 this year and with the weather forcast for the next 3 days I think I'll go over 15,000 this year.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
ugh, I dont even want to know. This summer with moving and the new job and all...I havent ridden much. That and since Im teaching...when I drive the bike to school, no matter how much I comb it...it looks like crap after using the helmet, so I take the car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
25,000 here in western nebraska....cold in the winter months but it always seems to warm up enough for a ride now and then...we do a Jan. 1st cold but ride every year and it has been from 15 degree's some years to 70 degree's others. The old saying if you don't like the weather here wait 5 min. it will change.

Ride Safe

Kenny

Yellow is Faster

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Usually average 17,000 -19,000 in Wisconsin. Normally ride even through the winter if the roads are dry. Plan an annual February or early March ride from Oshkosh to the Dells for a burger at Monks.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
23 000 miles last year

almost 30 000 miles this year

not bad for being parked about 4-5 months

ill try harder next year, i promise

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
whats this u say about northerners not being able to ride 12 months a year ? u can't b serious !

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Averaging 12K miles per year, with 66000 miles on my '01. Rode last Tuesday up to Baraboo, WI and then over to the Mississippi River and then last Saturday around Mt. Horeb and Black Earth, WI (great motorcycle roads between these two towns) with the temps never over 45. About 400 miles for the 2 days.

Entertained a couple of Harley owners (they were in their pickup on this day) with a demonstration of Gerbings and Garmin at a gas station.

Saw 1 Harley on Tuesday and 1 Buell on Saturday.

Will continue to ride until the snow and salt falls. :wink:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
When I lived in CT I never broke 30,000; that's why I moved to Florida.
Florida had those hot summers with hurricanes and it was hard to break 38,000; that's why I moved to Georgia.
Georgia has such pretty roads that I don't feel the need to ride far...
Now where?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I work 45-50 hours per week and I have averaged just over 16,000 miles a year since I got the Wing. I did not make that much this year because of illnesses. Maybe next year I can get back to the old routine..

I very seldom ride the wing to work. I usually ride one of my smaller bikes. I only live about 2 miles from work. That does not even get the bike warm. Now on days I have ridden it, for some reason I seemed to get lost.,, End up over 50 miles just one way :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
730 Posts
My first wing and have owned it for about 6 months.. So far about 13 K ....Not planning to put bike away for winter.....Winter does offer many wonderfull days of riding... :biker:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Average 10,000. In the fall, huntin' season gets in the way. :D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'd be willing to bet many norhtern riders have more miles than the southern riders on here. Lots of people in the south get chilly when it gets to 70 degrees and I hear about a lot of riders parking the bike when it gets 'cold.' Ive ridden the bike up in MN in the middle of december with measureable feet of snow on the ground and clear roads. All I need is a thick jacket, some carhart overalls and gloves and Im toasty and I can ride no matter what the temp is.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
NE not riding in the winter? Just put on 300+ miles last Sat at Patriot Guard Ride?

I don't think its all about how many miles (quantity) you ride, I think its about the quality of the miles. Probably why I'll never do an iron butt ride. I enjoy going somewhere to see the sights & smell the roses. Doing it on a Wing just makes it more enjoyable. How about you?

OH, FWIW, I did 19,000 miles from mid Oct 2005 - mid Oct 2006. New Wing.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Like Ross, I am in the shop 40-50 hours a week, but since I got this bike last June '05', I have put 18K on it. Left the house yesterday at 7AM with a brisk 28 degree reading on my temp gauge, no heated clothes, and got home at 6PM. Folks at the Leola Motor Trike shop in PA are some fine people.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts