GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back a couple of days ago from a 6800 mile NW tour and what a ride it was. Following are some thoughts for any considering such a cruise.

A. Avoid US 2 across ND. Lots of construction and oil field work. Trucks everywhere. Forget the Minot area for any kind of accomendations(we were pulling a camper) I-94 is a much better choice.

B. Glacier was a joy despite the construction on GTSH.

C. US 12 from Missoula to Lewiston was one of the most enjoyable roads I have ever ridden.

D. The PCH 101 thru Oregon was fantastic.

E. US 36 across Northern CA was a fantastic MC road. Lots of twisties thru the mountains. The Dragon has nothing on it.

F. US 50(loneliest road) across Nevada was a fun ride. If you enjoy solitude this ride is for you. Keep in mind that services are few, but had no trouble with gas. Ride on the top half of your tank for sure.

G..Northern Utah was fantastic. SR128 is a must ride into the Moab area.

H. CO rockies thru the RMNP was a another must do ride. Roads have all been redone and it was a joy.

I. Black Hills area was inspiring as always. I never tire of this area.

We were gone 20 days and camped 16 of them. Weather was great and we spent a tad less than 100.00 bucks a day counting everything. Averaged 38 MPG for the entire trip pulling a Mini-Mate camper riding two up. Not bad. No issues and the Wing ran like the wind as always. Weather was good only 3-4 times with raingear on.

Time to plan for the next tour:thumbup:

Fred

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
US 36 across Northern CA was a fantastic MC road. Lots of twisties thru the mountains.
That's for darn sure, something like 140 miles of twisties, one of my favorite roads!!:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts