GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
This board has become a chore to browse and post to. The old split screen format was significantly better. I'm not against change, but I've tried to use this new board and it's basically a pain in the a$$ :(

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
new board....

Once you get used to this new board it is easier to move around it seems to me. One thing i have noticed is there are far fewer posts than before with the old board. When i would sign on before, there might be 200 new messages, i do not see that now.
JD

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Rob...

...sorry to hear that it is causing you problems. I find it much better and easy to use. Perhaps you jsut don't have the subtle features figured out yet. If I check every day, I normally just click the "View Post Since Last Visit" and can scan down all the topics to see what I want to check out. If I'm gone for a while, I'll just scan down the topics on each message board and see what I want to read. I find that with this method I don't miss any message that I want to see and don't have to keep scrolling down the long list like we had on the other board. And, at least for me, this is much faster and I enjoy seeing everyone's ugly mug!!!!!

Hope it gets better for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like the new board. I found the previous board difficult to follow. As they said "To each his own." I would just hope that those who don't like the new system give it a little time and see if they can't get used to it.

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Re: new board....

JD said:
Once you get used to this new board it is easier to move around it seems to me. One thing i have noticed is there are far fewer posts than before with the old board. When i would sign on before, there might be 200 new messages, i do not see that now.
JD
My stats show this board is getting 252 post a day and that is from a start date that was before I put the board up for the members (it started the stats the day the board was loaded to the server) it is really much higher than that. I think the big difference in the numbers you may be seeing is now we have areas for post that on the old board showed up on the General board. I would say this board is getting much more traffic and I don't have to delete messages to keep it running fast. I think you will be hard pressed to find any active message board that doesn't use this type of format.

·
Registered
21,095 Posts
I sort of miss the old board too but will have to admit this one has some nice features. A lot of folks have different handles on the new board and sometimes it is difficult to tell if someone is new or just a new handle. Sometimes when you get a new truck or motorcycle or whatever it might not seem so great at first but after a month or two with the new one try going back to the old one and you might be surprised at how much better the new one really is. Seems like there are fewer of those posts from people just hopeing to stir things up in a bad way, don't know if they left or what but things seem to be moving along nicely most of the time. :yw1:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Rob Give it some time & you might git to like it ah little better. It's different but i think it's ah HUGEimprovement from th other board :mrgreen:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't take this personally LaMont, but this board has been down more than a 70 year old prize fighter. Without exaggerating I estimate that I am unable to log on at least half the time.

I have a high speed connection and it's been working fine except for this site. I don't see anyone else complaining about not being able to log on though, so maybe it's just me.

Don't really mean to b$%^h as it's a great site when it works.

wile e

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Wile....Maybe you need to lose that "Acme" computer you're using! :lol: LOL.... I never log out, I just close the page when I'm done.

I haven't had a problem getting onto this board except the first day or so it was sometimes iffy! That is when LaMont was working on it.

I couldn't stand to use the old board between the hours of 6-10P:M EST. It would just be at almost a standstill! :( I have RR cable!

Good Luck Wile.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Red;

I never log out. When I said log in on my original post above I guess I really meant just being able to visit the site. About half the time I get a message that the site is unavailable.

I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't update my bookmark and see if that helps??

BTW I'm using "state of the art" 8086 machines. LOL

really, I'm using fairly new pentium 4 computers running windows XP

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I think you need to...

...try something different in the way you are getting to the board. Since I set up my account on day 1 or 2, I have never found the board to be down. So, sounds like something else is wrong -- not the board server.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've had a few probs at the start, which I figure is normal for starting anything new. I'm sure that when I tackle the fans on my wing, it's going to take a while there, also. I'm not a programmer by any means, and I'm sure there is a lot of work to getting a new site up and running. Just be patient, and it will get even better than it is now.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I love the new board. I actually read stuff from the Tech side now, where on the old format I never did.

I just hit "view all posts since last visit" and scroll down the subjects & read what sounds interesting.

The only down side I see is not being able to track a mutating thread... lol
All you have to go on is the original subject, and if the thread takes a turn, you'll never know it.

Other than that, I think it is awesome!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts