GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting freds dvd's but i am not a mech. . I was wondering if they would work for me? I don't want to overhaul the engine or any thing just want to save a little $$$ on simple stuff. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Dana

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You don't have to be a mechanic to do a lot of things on this bike. However, there are also a lot of things you don't want to do if you're not mechanically inclined.

As far as the DVD goes, it is well worth it. If you have any doubt on how something comes apart, or what all is involved in doing something, watch Fred, then you will know first hand what you are up against.
It is outstanding, and entertaining.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I say go for it. I did and it was one of the few things (of which there have been many) that I bought for the wing that has actually paid dividends in money saved for services which I would have not attempted otherwise. He shows how to do a lot of services to the GL1800 in a way even a doofus like me can understand. :wink:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
$$$ in my pocket means more $$ for gas. Go 4 it you won't be disappointed!

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Fred's dvd set is a good investment, made by a down to earth regular guy, using laymans terms. It is a "must have" item for anyone doing their own GW maintenance. I think it may be still on sale also. 8) Terry

·
Registered
500 Posts
They are invaluable. Even if you elect to take your bike to the shop and pay $65 per hour for some maintenance issues that are well within everyones reach, the knowledge that you will gain of the Wing is priceless. I am no wrench but I am performing work on the bike that I never dreamed of doing. Go for it!! ChuckR

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks all for the advise. I think i will get the dvd set. Course i am going to have to listen to the so about spending money to work on my bike when i don't know any thing about what i am doing and having to buy tools i don't know how to use. Oh Well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Learn how

Dana

Here is what my brother did.

He went to the local cheat shop and had them make a written estimate for the cost of an oil and filter change.

On the way home he stopped at Auto Zone, got the correct filter and oil. Went home. reviewed the DVD's, changed the oil and replaced the filter (not is that order) and then took the receipt from Auto Zone and the written estimate from the shop in and showed his SO how much he had saved. The difference more than paid for a set of metric wrenches.

Of course the bad side is that she started asking him to do more things around the house.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Good thing they were Metric wrenches - they won't fit a lot of stuff around the house....

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Just adding a little information, buy the DVD set, if you don't like them, put them for sale in the classified section of the board...nickle to donuts says that they don't stay for sale more than 12 hours.....someone will snap them up. You won't lose a penny and they are on sale now!

Win-Win

·
Registered
464 Posts
XRAYTED said:
I was thinking about getting freds dvd's but i am not a mech. . I was wondering if they would work for me? I don't want to overhaul the engine or any thing just want to save a little $$$ on simple stuff. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Dana
I personally do not have them. I have the shop manual but am inclined to use it although i might sometimes wish i had some kind of visual to go by. In your case , i believe that they would give you the confidence to perform some of the simpler maintence procedures which will save money and give you a more closeness to your machine. Also, if you find that you have to take her to the dreaded dealer, you will at least be able to see the porkin your about to get or the porkin you got. After second thought, i think i'll just buy em. :?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
These were made just for you!

XRAYTED said:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Best money I ever spent on anything motorcycle related. I have been wrenching on my own bikes fo 30 years including engine rebuilds. Seeing the work done lets you know what to watch out for in advance. Fred is very detailed in what he shows you. Buy em, you won't regret it

W

·
0 Posts
I'm not much for mechanics either, but like someone mention, use it once and you paid for the videos.
I do oil and filter changes, and next will be antifreeze, final drive oil change, bulb changes, then we'll see as I go along.
I enjoy seeing Fred taking the top selve off, and amazed at the wiring, brackets, cables, casings, that makes up our 1800 inerds.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am not considered to be mechanically inclined by anybody, but I recently purchased Fred's video's and have been sitting on the couch just watching. Of course now the family all believe I'm beyond nuts. "How can you sit there and watch somebody messing with nuts and bolts? Jeez, get a life!" Excellent buy, even if all you do is watch you'll absorb things the average winger doesn't know.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They came sat. son and i watched some of the stuff. Wife not home when they came she saw them sun. not happy. Oh well. I guess if i change oil and filter a couple of times and save 80 bucks maybe she will be ok with me buying them.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
XRAYTED said:
They came sat. son and i watched some of the stuff. Wife not home when they came she saw them sun. not happy. Oh well. I guess if i change oil and filter a couple of times and save 80 bucks maybe she will be ok with me buying them.
Maybe it's the time you're not spending with her she objects to. Take her on a nice ride and dinner using the money you "saved" doing the maintenance yourself (explaining it to her of course) and see if she doesn't change her mind.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
PhoenixRising01 said:
I am not considered to be mechanically inclined by anybody, but I recently purchased Fred's video's and have been sitting on the couch just watching. Of course now the family all believe I'm beyond nuts. "How can you sit there and watch somebody messing with nuts and bolts? Jeez, get a life!" Excellent buy, even if all you do is watch you'll absorb things the average winger doesn't know.
Next time one of them comes home with a gigantic bill for some ordinary type of auto repair you can repeat that "you're nuts!" statement to them.

Or you can tell them watching Fred do his thing is a bit like brain surgery.....no, never mind.....they wouldn't understand. :roll:

·
Registered
994 Posts
JWScott said:
I personally do not have them. I have the shop manual but am inclined to use it although i might sometimes wish i had some kind of visual to go by. In your case , i believe that they would give you the confidence to perform some of the simpler maintence procedures which will save money and give you a more closeness to your machine. Also, if you find that you have to take her to the dreaded dealer, you will at least be able to see the porkin your about to get or the porkin you got. After second thought, i think i'll just buy em. :?
Another advantage to the DVDs. Fred has developed methods that are not in the manual. Some times the manual leads you down a path you did not have to take. Fred shows all - even his bare toes. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts