GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, when you stop for gas,
is there any special technique for putting fuel into the gas tank?

thanks in advance,
Dennis

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Shoot it into the air and catch it in the tank. Kinda like tossing peanuts in the air and catching them in your mouth. Just a bit more motivation to get it right. :popcorn::popcorn:

Just don't overfill it. Gas can get in to the vent and cause some problems.

Cheers

·
Registered
166 Posts
My biggest issue is that so many pumps seem to be either full on or full off which makes it hard to completely fill the tank.
It does make a difference on a trip when you can't top up the tank.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I call it the rock and roll ;-)

when the neck is full i use my hip and rock the bike back and forth
and it starts moving fuel into the air pocket inside the tank....and
i continue to add spurts of gas while doing this.

i do that for a minute or so until i got a good extra amt into the tank
and it adds anywhere from 10-20 miles before my light comes on...

:cool:

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
If the pump stops automatically I let it. Usually does not overfill
If not I just peek on the side and leave a little space in the tank

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I call it the rock and roll ;-)

when the neck is full i use my hip and rock the bike back and forth
and it starts moving fuel into the air pocket inside the tank....and
i continue to add spurts of gas while doing this.

i do that for a minute or so until i got a good extra amt into the tank
and it adds anywhere from 10-20 miles before my light comes on...

:cool:

:p On a long distance ride I don't care about 20 extra miles because I'm usually very happy to dismount after 200 miles and 3 hours.:p

:thumbup:

·
Registered
927 Posts

thanks in advance,
Dennis
Yes. In spite of limited space, you can place the gas cap next to the filler. On a long trip through fairly unpopulated territory, you won't leave it on the pump, discover that 150 miles away at the next stop, and waste a fair bit of time finding a dealer who has one.

DAMHIK.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've found that if I use a scuba tank to force nitrox in I can burn off all the remaining bad gas by dropping in a lit zippo.

Now for those concerned about the zippo, I've been using the same one for years. After the first few, I developed a technique that results in the zippo flying back out into my hand. So I only have about three or four left in there.

I'm not sure which, three or four, because something flew past my ear that one time and I never did find it or the cat. But no matter.

After competing this, you can stick a stick down in the bottom and scrape up some of the setiment and analyze it with the Hondaline chemestry lab. Call Hal, he's got them in stock, but normally refuses to sell them unless you are a licenced industrial chemist. It's part number 08128-KM10J01 and is normally referenced in the catalog as a leather lined portajon for fasion consious ironbut riders.

Be on the look out for Dilithium in the setiment, it will produce better gas milage and increase your top end speed, but in the long run it will lead to a world of tribble.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Usually fill mine on the centerstand while looking down inside the filler neck. Wish there was a better place to put the gas lid, but it will fit on it's side, to the right front of the pocket, while fueling, and be mostly out of the way.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Dennis;

I just figured this out :bow:

You were just looking for entertainment today :thumbup:

And i bit of course :cool:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

thanks in advance,
Dennis

It is sort of like threading a needle or using a Q-tip in your ear. You MUST squint just so and have an appropriate facial expression. :lol: :rolleyes: :p

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts