GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year while attending homecoming,there was a vendor in marysville who was selling and installing air wings that were similar to bakers,but were not bakers.Does any one know if they can be contacted via the web? I now regret not waiting in line to purchase and have them installed.A few wingers said that they would prefer these if they had not already had the bakers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'd like to know also. If you touch these Baker wings when it is cold out- they easily break.
I saw a Chicago Police officer(Bluedog?) that had a set on a white 1800 that were made of Lexan. He said they were made in Florida. They were a clear color as there is not much in colored Lexan. I'm gonna make a set of clear Lexan for the lower side Baker wings and see if I can dye them red.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
If you're talking about the baker look alike that has three sets on the side instead of two, I have also seen these, he also sells windshields.

I've only seen him at rallies or events. I think he's out of Florida, but can't be sure, older fellow.....

Wish I could be more help, if I run into him again, I'll get a business card or web address.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This was from a post I did on another board about these wings back in November. Hope it helps.

I was at Wings over the Smokies last month in Asheville, NC. I looked at the Tulsa and Baker Built wings. Then I ran across this man:

Custom Touring Windshields
Orville Sage
1724 Elk Dr.
Lakeland, FL
863-665-6719

His wings are twice as thick as the Tulsa and Baker wings. His fairing wings have 3 wings instead of the normal 2. He also had a demo windshield next to a Tulsa. He'd let you hit both with a 5lb. mallet. I was surprised at how easy the Tulsa windshield snapped, his never did.

I bought both the mirror wings and fairing wings, and I am very happy with both. He doesn't have a website, but I called him and got most of the info from him, here goes.

Mirror wings-$40.00
Fairing Wings-$145.00
add $20.00 for shipping

Colors-Yellow, Black, Bronze, Red, Dk. Blue and Lt. Smoke

Windshield-$160.00
add #20.00 for shipping

Tall in a clear with a UV coating that he says does add a bit of color to it.
It is also mar resistant. Let him know if you want the vent hole cut out or not.

I had a Tulsa windshield I just odered, so I didn't buy his. But I will as soon as I can, it's on my list of things to get. If you look at my photo gallery, you'll see what the bronze ones look like installed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys that more or less is probaly the fellow,will probably give him a call and see which rally he will be at next.

·
Registered
125 Posts
jbar52,

Here's a picture, are these the ones???

·
Registered
20 Posts
love mine.3 rideing buddys also have them.the color was big reson lt.smoke on 02 silver looks good. have mounted both pro. con. on each brand.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
wheeler1963 said:
Are those mirror mount ones adjustable like the Bakers?
(in and out?) ... and do they stay where you put them?
(unlike the Baker?)

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
125 Posts
wingwing said:
wheeler1963 said:
(unlike the Bakers?)

Thanks,
Dennis
yes they are adjustable in and out. I've had no problems with them staying put either.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ilike mine.got them for the third bottom one.direct,s more heat in winter.only neg thing i,v heard is some people don,t like the mounting system they use.doesent bother me.i like driling hole,s in mine.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
...thoughts about how to contact Mr Orville Sage?

never mind... he just returned my phone call
:roll:

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
679 Posts
Stay put...

wingwing said:
wheeler1963 said:
(unlike the Baker?)

Thanks,
Dennis
Can't figger why yours won't stay put. I've been using them for 7 years, first on an Ultra and now on the wing with a total of about 60,000 plus miles with no problems. All I do is snug 'em up very carefully. Also you might want to check your washers, they're designed to be mounted only one way, and are the fiber washers in the right place.
Hope this may help you.
I have no ties with the company, just a satisfied customer.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Re: Stay put...

SC Popatop said:
Can't figger why yours won't stay put.
I'm sorry ... I did not phrase that very well.
At this time, I'm still shopping for mirror wings.
90% of the posts about the Bakers say they are GREAT but do not "stay put" very well ...
after reading (for hours and hours) ... I was just repeating what I had read.
I should have been more clear about not having any first hand experience with the Bakers.
my apologizes.
:oops:

If in fact they do "stay put" at hwy speeds I'll just go ahead and order the Baker mirror wings.
:?:

Thanks again for your time.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

wingwing said:
SC Popatop said:
Can't figger why yours won't stay put.
I'm sorry ... I did not phrase that very well.
At this time, I'm still shopping for mirror wings.
90% of the posts about the Bakers say they are GREAT but do not "stay put" very well ...
after reading (for hours and hours) ... I was just repeating what I had read.
I should have been more clear about not having any first hand experience with the Bakers.
my apologizes.
:oops:

If in fact they do "stay put" at hwy speeds I'll just go ahead and order the Baker mirror wings.
:?:

Thanks again for your time.

Dennis
My Baker Mirror wings don't move unless I move them. I ride 75mph 25 miles each way and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My Baker Mirro Wings wouldn't stay open untilI really tightened them down...more than I ever thought I'd have to, and they stay put now.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts

mattcaswell said:
My Baker Mirror wings don't move unless I move them.
I guess you've touched on the REAL issue.

The other posts about Bakers also indicate you can tighten them enough so they never move.

The issue I'm trying to understand is IF you leave them loose enough where you CAN adjust them (without tools), then the other posts indicate they move around spontaneously (on their own, or, they won't stay where you put them)
... if that is "true" then I'll wind up tinkering with them until they work they way I'd like
... or tossing them.

I spoke with Orville yesterday and he indicated you can move his around and they stay where you put them. He says the surface areas where his moves is larger than the Baker and thus provides more friction.

thanks as always,
Dennis

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dennis,

I have no problem moving the wings I got from Orville. Adjust them in or out without them working lose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts