GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising down the highway yesterday, oil light comes on and my Son pulls over immediately. I pick him up, in my truck, and bring the bike back home on the trailer.

We check the oil, it has plenty. Out of caution, we drain the oil into a pan and I place a very powerful 2" x 3" rare earth magnet in the path of the draining oil. We get a few small flakes of metal. We change the oil filter as well, nothing obvious in that, although we didn't cut it open yet.

We start the bike and instantly shut it off. It sound like a bag of bolts inside.

We drain the fluids, drop the engine, put the engine on its side, so we can remove the sump, and we hear parts rattling inside.

When we get the sump off, this is what we found rattling.

Tomorrow we will totally disassemble the engine. Bike has about 5800 miles on it.

Note how clean the engine casings are, the only area we cleaned was the gunge around the front sprocket.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
What did the rod bolts look like? Broken? stretched? come loose? Was he over winding the engine when she shot crapps? I used to tell my dad things like... I have no idea how all the springs got broken in the truck. No dad I wasn't living out my fantasy of being Bo and luke's half brother. Must of been mom going to fast in the dips beating the crowds to the rummage sales.

·
Registered
512 Posts
mercy,,,

looks like jr. was having waaayyy too much fun,,,,,for a short while...
oh well,,get out the pocketbook,,and all will be well again in jr's. m/c land.....
was it the old "the throttle stuck,,on me" saga,,,?...:)
does a carb governor come to mind on the new rebuild?... redline 4k rpms....:)
live and learn,,,,,

bc

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2006 Triumph 675, out of warranty.

I'm sure I'm not getting anywhere near the whole story as to how it happened, but that doesn't matter as he's working, part time as a waiter while he goes to school, and if he wants it fixed, he's paying for it.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I got the rest of the engine disassembled. It appears that the middle cylinder rod seized on the crank.

Here are some pics

·
Registered
512 Posts
chrise,

any chance a piece of something got in the oil pump and locked it up,broke the pump shaft? did you try spining the pump (if you got it out) by hand?
all it takes is a chip corner piece of a gasket,,,and its curtains,,,voice of experience speaking. :?
regardless,,,bummer,,,probably really wont cost a lot to get crank turned ,,,rod,,,etc,,,just the time involved...
good luck,,,,and keep posted what ya find.

bc

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
wow! That looks like pictures you should send to Triumph ... it's out of warranty, but they should still cover at least the parts. Should not be breaking piston rods like that!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Looks like that crank journal got pretty hot. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If it were my bike and I wanted all of my work to stay together when I’m done, I’d have to go with a new crank and at least one new rod, and piston, with all the chunks missing out of the counter balance and the burnt around the journal, you may never get that crank back to where it belongs and even if you do, with that kind of heat it will be your next weak spot to be giving him troubles...

Ole yeah, the stretched bolt kinda gives it away, one RPM to many...

Does this bike have loud pipes on it???

I’d guess so...

With that much heat to turn the rod and crank almost black, it’s been knocking for a wile before it stopped on him and he probably didn’t hear it... It just didn’t go bang and turn brownish and black in a few seconds...

But there again, they do say that loud pipes do save lives...

·
Registered
993 Posts
You've got one of those hard-to-find and very rare 2-piece con-rods!!
JB Weld and slap it back together! :22yikes:
I'd agree--just a fuzz too many RPM's for just a fractional too long duration. That journal throw has been WARM!!:oops:

Good luck with the rebuild... Probably run better than ever!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Does this bike have loud pipes on it???
He has an aftermarket slip-on on it, but it's not excessively loud.
Chais, I'm not getting off on loud exhaust here, I hope you understand, my way of thinking (from my past experience) is with the burnt crank and rod end he more than likely lost the barring in that journal and when the oil pressure went the heat went up and the play where the barring used to be eventually caused the rod to brake...

This would have been a rod knocking that for some reason he didn't hear for a wile if at all, if he had and shut it off when the knocking started it may have been a much less costly repair.. That's all I was getting at...

Excessive RPMs more than likely caused the barring to give it up...

Yep, I'm guilty of doing that a few times myself... :oops: :oops:

Thank goodness our wings have a revlimiter on them or I'd be doing it to her too...

All the Monday morning quarter backing in the world is not going to help with the expenses he getting ready to incur...

Small suggestion, seeing as you already have it torn down as far as you do, if it were mine I'd go ahead and tear it the rest of the way down and clean everything up real good before you put it back together so there will not be a gremlin hiding somewhere to cause it to prematurely come apart again... And when you do put it back together try and get it as close to blue print specs as possible and he will have a lot better running bike that it was when he got it new, and should last a lot longer to... :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts