GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new 2018 Goldwing Tour 6 speed manual.

I was concerned after watching Max McAllister's videos (3) about the proper procedure for checking the oil and then finding mine having oil to the full line while cold on the center stand.

I moved it outside today, put it on the center stand, ran the engine 4 minutes then checked the oil at 2 minutes, 2-1/2 minutes, then 3 minutes.

It showed 3/4 to the full line at 2 minutes and by 3 minutes it stopped at the full line.

Could the issue Max describes only apply to the DCT's?

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Brand new 2018 Goldwing Tour 6 speed manual.

I was concerned after watching Max McAllister's videos (3) about the proper procedure for checking the oil and then finding mine having oil to the full line while cold on the center stand.

I moved it outside today, put it on the center stand, ran the engine 4 minutes then checked the oil at 2 minutes, 2-1/2 minutes, then 3 minutes.

It showed 3/4 to the full line at 2 minutes and by 3 minutes it stopped at the full line.

Could the issue Max describes only apply to the DCT's?
Max can be quite the comedian. lol

Not the DCT, the issue is the owners. Its not the old Goldwing engine.
If you check it by the book, like you did, there are no issues.:smile2:
A lot of the problems arise with the dealers not doing there job correctly. They send out a shop boy to check the oil and he usually over fills the wing because he is not trained properly on how to check the oil level.
If the bike sits too long or overnight, the oil level will show about a quart low on the stick.
Mine was overfilled by 1 quart when I picked it up, it drove me crazy until I figured out the problem. Drained and filled to the proper level and its been fine since.
Check the final drive too, they are known to be under filled by 1/2.:frown2:

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Be careful checking the final drive.

If the rear wheel is rotated before the level check, it can appear low when it is not.
It can take a LONG time for the gear oil to run back off the housing and ring gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts