GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Vendor
21,775 Posts
I have found that if there's any delay in the shifting, it gets "clunky". In other words, when you want to shift, don't preload the lever or hesitate in shifting at all.... pull in the clutch at the exact time you move the shifter. Let out the clutch momentarily at half way and then all the way out. This allows the gears to mesh up and transfer the power to the wheel without jerkiness or noise. Takes practice but my shifting is generally just a slight click being heard. Don't hesitate and you should have smooth shifting.
This is good advice. I think you'll find that the faster you can execute the shift, the smoother and quieter it will be and the less stress it will put on the transmission. I also think you'll find that if you shift at a lower rpm, the shifts will be clunkier and worse than if you shift at a slightly higher RPM. The higher the RPM, the less load that is on the gears, which makes them engage smoother.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
One thing that will help shifting is to use a slightly higher viscosity oil. If you don't ride in really cold temps, then I'd suggest trying Mobil One 15w-50. I think you'll also find that the longer you leave the oil in between changes, the more clunky the shifting gets. If you stick to a 3-4K mile oil change, you'll have better shifts, and probably save wear on your transmission.

Thank you Fred, this is what I wanted to hear... (Cause we now know that I have become that oil changeohlic) over the past years.... and nothing feels better than a good running/shifting motorcycle, as I'm cruising down the highway...... And I can hear my "Blacky" saying thanks to me for taken good care of her, all these years.....[2010 now triked out/ w/55,000 (s)smiles]

Ronnie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi
I have had 4 gold wings now. None of my gold wings ever shifted smoothly like my Yamaha's and other bikes .
Going from 1 to 2 I try to always shift at high RPMs . I try to practice good shifting discipline but its always chuncky or seems to not always mesh good - not exactly a grind just what I think.of as a slip or partial sync . Higher gears seem better but still shifting is not smooth . Ever . I adjusted the shift lever . My F6B barely has 8 thousand miles .
I have heard of this oil with Teflon . Some kind of synthetic oil . Any thoughts on smoothing out the shifts ?
Yea . I think its just the nature of the design . Every goldwing I have owned always shifted chunky .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
also find
Yea heavier oil is the only thing I have not tried . I'm going to go to heavy oil for sure . I'm pretty religious about oil changes every 3k . I might go dark side on the rear tire . Does that negatively effect rear gear and transmission or do you know ?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have been on this forum for a while and see and read your posts. I don’t think that too many riders have the mechanical knowledge you do except for Fred. I have a 2001 wing I converted to a trike in 2016. I have gotten into the habit to start out in 2nd gear, let the opinions commence. I don’t hot rod my trike and it doesn’t clunk when I shift. Everyone has their own method of shifting as well as riding style. If it works fir you, don’t change a thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I find that if I shift at around 4k or a few clicks above 4k it tends to shift better . I tend to be cognizant on my shifting and make sure to shift fast rather than slow . As a pilot ,you sort of develop a sort of instrument scan and fly kinda process. I had thought it was flight disciples and muscle memory causing the issue - People that ride with would say that they always saw my feet moving in turns. Sub consciously I guess I'm trying to use rudders in my turns. LOL . back in the 80s I had the 1200 and it was always clunky chunky. my 1500 same , 1800 2010 model same . And now my f6b . Same drill . Clunky chunky . Years ago , I had this virago . It would shift smooth ! weird starter thing though . Every motorcycle I have been on other than goldwings were smooth . Even this manual shift can am spyder . it must be the design of the gold wings .

·
Vendor
16,851 Posts
I am not sure what you mean . I have had clunky shifting on every wing I have owned . my 84' 89' 10' and 14' clunky chunky .
5th gens are a clunky shifting transmission, but I'm wondering if your're experiencing more dog collision on your 2014. Most 2014-17s that I ride seem to have more of it then the 01-13s. Dog collision is felt in the shifter as a shift is made. It'll feel like a gear is hitting something before falling into engagement.

As for oil, the best oil for 5th gens continues to be Honda's GN4 10w-30 for your year. All 5th gens shift best with fresh oil and cold weather.

·
Registered
568 Posts
1 - 2 is my only choppy shift on a 15 1800. I usually shift around 3500 rpm's. The difference I think is from first to second I have the clutch pulled in all the way. the rest of the shifts I pull it only half way and is smooth and quiet as can be,

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I would put my money on on what Gregg has to say, he probably has [ridden/serviced] more Goldwings than 99% of all of us put together..........."Thanks Gregg"

Ronnie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Normally oil is not the answer and to be hones never makes any physical difference only mental differences. The 1800's do have a slight surging issue off idle which can make shifting a bit jerky and clunky. There is a tweak one can do on the ambient air temp sender which sometimes smooths this out but it's a bit hit and miss. Best is to try shifting while accelerating as things seem to smooth out when under power. I find the worst is when one is just putting along as that off idle surging really kicks in under those conditions. But in general one just adjusts and lives with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi
I have had 4 gold wings now. None of my gold wings ever shifted smoothly like my Yamaha's and other bikes .
Going from 1 to 2 I try to always shift at high RPMs . I try to practice good shifting discipline but its always chuncky or seems to not always mesh good - not exactly a grind just what I think.of as a slip or partial sync . Higher gears seem better but still shifting is not smooth . Ever . I adjusted the shift lever . My F6B barely has 8 thousand miles .
I have heard of this oil with Teflon . Some kind of synthetic oil . Any thoughts on smoothing out the shifts ?
I have a 2005 GL1800, I find that first gear has too much torque so I always start in 2ed gear. I too find my shifts rather clunky, I use Castrol 10/40 synthetic motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I really think "shifting technique" has more to do with shifting than anything else. Just my opinion.

But I have only ridden Gold Wing's about 350k miles. Several different ones.
I would have to agree, some that the put the heel/toe shifter really found out quick, it doesn't work well on the wing. I usually shift between 2500/3000 on a normal shift. Like someone said i just barely load up the foot shifter and then only have to pull the clutch handle about 1/2 of an inch and the shift is smooth. When i am in a hurry to shift and usually at a higher rpm is when i hear the clunk. It takes practice, once you accomplish it comes natural without even thinking about it. Good luck

21 - 34 of 34 Posts