GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Sorry this is sort of long winded. So I picked up a used 2001 GL1800A that has sat untouched since 2009. Only has 19000 miles on it and is essentially in great condition. Here's my issue, kind of stumped at this point, I'm hoping it's something dumb that I'm missing. Have a new battery, cleaned the gas tank added new new gas, replaced the fuel pump motor with a quantum motor rather than replacing the entire fuel pump assembly, new plugs, changed the oil. It started right up no problems. Let it run for about 30 seconds as it was late at night and figured I was good to go. Following weekend figured I would try to take it for a quick ride and it doesn't start. Turns over fine, fuel pump runs when the key is turned on, gets spark seems to not get gas to the injectors. Figured I would check the fuel lines going into the fuel rail, no problem there. Now that everything is back together again the FI light never comes on and the fuel pump does not run. I downloaded the service manual and started making the voltage checks, bank angle, fuel pump relays, fuel pump and the ECM voltages all check okay. Anyone have similar issues or anything else I can check at this point? Thanks.

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
If the fuel pump was replaced, and the tank cleaned from contaminated fuel, the entire fuel system will need done. Anything short of doing it all at once, often means starting all over again, and any money already spent can be a total waist.

However, start with a fuel pressure test, be sure the spark plugs are clean and fresh, and inspect the air filter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi greg, fuel lines are clear I removed them from the fuel rails and they are clear no old gas in them. cant test fuel pressure as the fuel pump doesn't prime now and the FI light doesnt come on. It should come on for a few seconds and the fuel pump should run. dont get either at this point. The spark plugs are new as is the air filter.

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Check battery and connections again. The fuel system will not work if battery charge drops much below 10V under starter load. Then, there is a fine mesh screen on the fuel intake.

prs

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery is good. Have 10.88 volts when cranking, 12.6 without load. There is a new fuel filter it comes with the fuel pump.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If the pump is not running could it be the handlebar shut off switch ?

·
Registered
996 Posts
It wouldn't crank then either.

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
Per the Service Manual.

Basically, #1 is pull DTC codes under seat.

Engine cranks but won’t start
(No DTC and MIL blinking)
1. Crank the starter for more than ten seconds and check the DTC (page 6-11) and execute the troubleshooting according to the DTC.
2. Inspect the fuel supply system (page 6-49).

Also check for:
• No fuel to injector
– Clogged fuel filter
– Pinched or clogged fuel feed hose
– Pinched or clogged fuel tank breather
tube
– Faulty fuel pump
– Faulty fuel pump circuits
• Intake air leak
• Contaminated/deteriorated fuel
• Faulty fuel injector
• IACV stuck closed
• Faulty ignition system

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont think i have the same service manual, im using the gl1800 service manual pdf that i downloaded. so i did some more probing, seems the ecm may be shot. in step 4 below there is no voltage and in step 5 there is continuity from the ecm to the relay. so i guess ill shop around for an ecm. stinks, but i only paid 2K for the bike, hopefully im still ahead of the game...

Turn the ignition switch to “OFF.”
Measure the voltage between the Black/yellow wire terminal (+) and Brown/black wire terminal of the fuel pump relay connector.
Turn the ignition switch to “ON.”
There should be battery voltage for a few seconds.
• If there is battery voltage for a few seconds, the system is OK; check for loose contacts or corroded terminals.
• If there is no voltage, GO TO STEP 5.

Turn the ignition switch to “OFF.”
Remove the top shelter (page 2-11). Disconnect the ECM 22P black connector.
Check the connector for loose contacts or corroded terminals.
Check for continuity between the Brown/black wire terminals of the fuel pump relay and ECM 22P black connectors.
There should be continuity.
• If there is no continuity, repair the open circuit in the Brown/black wire.
• If there is continuity, replace the ECM with a new one and inspect again.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
4144F492-13A3-4262-8FB5-784D5FDE34F2.png

Looks similar to what another guy chased with ECM’s. Then found a bad ground under the gas tank, left side. I took a screen shot of it for my own remembering. He didn’t need an ECM.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, thanks, ill pull the tank again and take a look.
does anyone know if ecm's are compatible between years? or would a replacement need to be specifically for a 2001?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
ok, thanks, ill pull the tank again and take a look.
does anyone know if ecm's are compatible between years? or would a replacement need to be specifically for a 2001?
Check our tech section, thread by Cruise222, labeled something like fuel pump, relay chatters, 120+ posts. It’s like on the 2nd page of the tech section. Don’t know how to link (I’m to old). It talks about looking for an ECM and stuff. Besides having the picture I already shared. Credit again to Greg and Rob for all that they did there. Awesome forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks glblinded, i'll take a look. yup, forums are an invaluable tool, thanks for the assist guys.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
thanks glblinded, i'll take a look. yup, forums are an invaluable tool, thanks for the assist guys.
Welcome to the board. If that thread doesn’t help, let me know and I will be glad to help track it down. ECMs don’t go bad very often, especially with your symptoms. Now that the pump doesn’t run and the FI light doesn’t cycle, are you still getting spark?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Rob, thanks. Yes I found the thread and read through it. there is a lot of information there, lots to digest. You guys know your stuff. I assume your a mechanic? I'm going to go pull it apart again and start checking connections and looking for the connector glblinded posted above. So, dumb question 1 for you guys. Is it the honda service manual you reference for those connector locations? I have downloaded the honda gl1800 manual which is pretty decent but doesnt seem to reference those connector locations in that thread. Question 2, i tried to locate the black service connector to reset the ecm but dont see it. i checked the boots, not seeing a black 3 pin connector but will check again now.
Yes the plugs are getting spark when cranking, ill re-confirm.

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
Hi Rob, thanks. Yes I found the thread and read through it. there is a lot of information there, lots to digest. You guys know your stuff. I assume your a mechanic? I'm going to go pull it apart again and start checking connections and looking for the connector glblinded posted above. So, dumb question 1 for you guys. Is it the honda service manual you reference for those connector locations? I have downloaded the honda gl1800 manual which is pretty decent but doesnt seem to reference those connector locations in that thread. Question 2, i tried to locate the black service connector to reset the ecm but dont see it. i checked the boots, not seeing a black 3 pin connector but will check again now.
Rob, a mechanic? No sir. He is a mechanic extraordinaire! As are several other on this board as well! :grin2:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
An Electronic Tech with a lot of mechanically experience sums me up. :grin2: That free service manual is useless when it comes to specifics on this bike. I use the Honda Service manual that covers the 01-05 model years for my 2001 troubleshooting. The service connector is only good for clearing codes or using the Honda Pocket Tester to read the codes. If you are still getting spark, then at least some of the FI system is trying to work. If the ECM was completely dead, there would be no spark. You said you had checked the power at the ECM, was this on the black/yellow wire? How much did you disassemble to check the fuel rails? Have you checked the ECM plugs for any bent pins? Do the other lights and fuel gauge work on the dash?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you guys certainly know these goldwings, very impressive. I'll get that honda service manual ordered. So at this point Im not getting spark, I assume this is the ecm issue now and most likely the reason the FI light never comes on? Yes the last check of the black/yellow was no voltage, ill re-test it tomorrow after i put it back together. I just pulled out the air filter housing and checked connections in the boots and rechecked all the connections on the left and right side of the front fairing, everything visually looks ok. dont see anything melted pinched / broken.

I removed the right hand side fuel rail but did not remove the injectors. didnt try test them either, blew through the gas lines just to be sure they werent plugged. Dont think there is an issue there because after i replaced the fuel pump and with new gas it started right up, i let it idle for about 30 seconds or so and shut it off. hasnt run since then it just got progressively worse. Following weekend tried to start it, it cranked wouldnt fire, fuel pump ran like it should, FI light would come on as it should, no error codes even after cranking for more than 10 seconds. days after that the FI light wouldnt come on at all, thats where i am now.

Yes, also checked for bent pins etc, no issues there either. I do get dash lights, neutral, oil, gas, side stand. neutral light goes out when u engage reverse, dont get the cruise light now either.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
you guys certainly know these goldwings, very impressive. I'll get that honda service manual ordered. So at this point Im not getting spark, I assume this is the ecm issue now and most likely the reason the FI light never comes on? Yes the last check of the black/yellow was no voltage, ill re-test it tomorrow after i put it back together. I just pulled out the air filter housing and checked connections in the boots and rechecked all the connections on the left and right side of the front fairing, everything visually looks ok. dont see anything melted pinched / broken.

I removed the right hand side fuel rail but did not remove the injectors. didnt try test them either, blew through the gas lines just to be sure they werent plugged. Dont think there is an issue there because after i replaced the fuel pump and with new gas it started right up, i let it idle for about 30 seconds or so and shut it off. hasnt run since then it just got progressively worse. Following weekend tried to start it, it cranked wouldnt fire, fuel pump ran like it should, FI light would come on as it should, no error codes even after cranking for more than 10 seconds. days after that the FI light wouldnt come on at all, thats where i am now.

Yes, also checked for bent pins etc, no issues there either. I do get dash lights, neutral, oil, gas, side stand. neutral light goes out when u engage reverse, dont get the cruise light now either.
OK, read the sticky at the top of this Tech section about C5/C25. Since you are not getting power at the ECM now, this may be the issue.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/420969-nice-know-stuff-c5-c25.html

1 - 20 of 154 Posts